I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 09:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  That horrible cold on dialysis!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That horrible cold on dialysis!  (Read 4165 times)
CatonTheRoof

« on: March 18, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »

Has anyone of you experienced frequent chills, or at least a bigger vulnerability to the cold temperatures while being on dialysis? 

In this moment my hemoglobin is around 13, so I don't know if that's the cause for feeling such cold and humidty.  But for example,  when I take a shower and I get my hair wet, I feel like I was about to die.  I have taken my blood pressure about taking a shower but it shows everything is ok, except that heart rate increases a bit. 

I hate this because I'm living in the capital of Colombia right now, which is situated in the mountains and the temperature is around 12 to 18 degrees usually.  During december which is when we have the sunny period, I was feeling quite energetic and such.  But these days full of rain I feel like just sleeping.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »

I've always been cold. But especially if you take beta blockers for blood pressure you will get chills.

(I had to think for a minute if 12 degrees was cold or warm. Some of us only use proper units in the chemistry lab.)

I was also always cold when hooked to the machine for hemo. Hated that.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »

I felt like I had the flu this weekend, but I think it was due to the Hep vaccine shots I got on Friday.  I do feel cold in Hemo sessions.  They could hang meat in our kidney center.  Some days are worse than others.  It makes you wonder. 
deniferfer

My nickname is princess

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »

Yes I get that all the time. I live in the mountains too, it gets cold around 40 degrees here but I find I get colder then everyone else it seems. I put on a coat and bundle up and I still I'm cold. The other time I get really cold is if I get over exhausted and wear myself out. Then I start to get like cold chills and all I can do is curl up in a blanket to try and feel better.   

1981-1995: Perfectly fine
1996: November, started feeling sick
1997: April, creatine at 17 and began dialysis    
1997: May Place on PD
2006: Had to replace PD tube
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »

I believe there is something going around.  J has had a pretty bad cold w/ flu like symptoms.  His temp has been 99.7 or 8, so it is low grade but higher than ususal.  His son came to see him last Saturday (a week ago) and he was sick.  J said he didnt know why or where he got this, but I informed him that his son was sick when he visited with him.  He agreed, that is probably where he got it.

I swear, his kids just don't think!  Only of themselves.  Had I known that he was sick, I would have asked him not to come, but no, he comes while Im at work.  But I have to be the bigger person here!  But I don't like it at all!!!!!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »

I take a warm pack I buy at the athletic stores to dialysis, a hand warmer. I put it on my chest under the blanket to stay warm.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 05:04:16 AM »

I don't know how people handle the cold.  I live in Southern California, and we had the mildest winter I've ever seen, and I still hated it.  Yesterday, the sun was out, it was 70 degrees, at least, and I'm yelled out, "It's spring!"  I was so happy.  I do get cold in the kidney center during dialysis.   You could hang meat in there some days.  I'll be chilling even with a blanket on. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »

Yes, I am in So CA too.  They keep that D center COLD!!!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riverwhispering

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:28 AM »

The question.... WHY? do they keep the dialysis centers so cold?  Anyone know?

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »

Here in UK cold too. The answers they gave my about the sub zero temps at the clinic were: 1. They have to keep the room cold cos the D-machines get very hot, and that's bad (apparently...) 2. Some people are always very hot (which is true, I've always had at least one strange person who was hot, and complained about the heat cos the window was closed in mid winter) 3. the techs are all menopausal.

Best thing to do is put your dialysate temp on 37,5 C and take 2 blankets with you.

love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
CatonTheRoof

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »

Concerning life of peritoneal dialysis  I have found out that if I dont go jogging 2 km each single day I''ll start getting chills like if I was in the middle of Europe's winter.   I have no idea why this happens, blood pressure is fine, heart too, hemoglobin is not high but at at leasr in a good number and such.
Only explanation i have found is of the ancient chinese medicine which states that the kidneys handle the "fire of the body"  so weak kidneys means less fire power inside.   I try to eat spicy things and such, which make me feel warmer, however the cold remains sometimes..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »