I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Body weight on Dialysis!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Body weight on Dialysis!  (Read 2057 times)
CatonTheRoof

« on: March 18, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »

Hey there again my friends :)

Did anyone of you lose weight when you got renal failure?       I'm a 22 year old young man,  my height is 5,11  and I used to weight between 145 pounds before getting sick a year ago.  I was always a slim person!   Even though I believe that in the months previously to getting sick I got some 4 extra pounds (not of liquid, just that i was eating more)   However, when I was reaching 150 pounds my face started to seem a bit more fat which of course is not what I want lol.

After getting sick I got to the critical point of having a weight of 130 pounds.  Since then, the most I was able to recover was up to the point of being 141 pounds last December.  The problem is, that I managed to earn those extra pounds by eating too much protein and I was actually quite tired of eating so many things during a same day.  Additionally,  I' have been jogging 2 km since January (and I dont eat red meat)   So now my weight is again 136.5  pounds. 

Do you think such weight is ok?   I know it might sound dumb, but I'm seeing my "almost gf" in some weeks, I havent seen her in person since I left Prague (I had not lost such weight back then)     and I don't want her to think I'm critically ill, because afterall my results show that everything is ok within me. 
What should I eat to gain some weight but not increasing cholesterol or tryglicerids?

Thanks in advance!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:35 AM »

I lost an additional 5 or so pounds when my kidneys finally failed, but that took me down to around 175 Lbs. I'm still right in that neighborhood, and at 6'0" it's just about right. If you're in the 135-140 range, and feel good with it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Marsh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »

I lost 40 pounds, the last couple of months before I started dialysis.
Restorer

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »

Weight loss on dialysis is pretty common. I've always been skinny. I got up to 115 lbs (I'm 5'6"), and after my kidneys failed I got as low as 95 lbs. I'm staying around 108 lbs now, and I can't manage to gain anything. I know I don't eat enough.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:26:15 AM »

Yes indeed, I lost about 10kgs and have yet to find them again - am horribly skinny - but then I know that I make a really poor effort at eating properly...  My life is pretty much dialysis-work-sleep, with nop time for other matters domestic
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »

You are on hemodialysis-- correct?  Then you need your protein to build muscle that is lost while on the machine.  So, keep eating protein.  You can add some calories to your diet.  Cake, pie, cookies..... if you are not diabetic.

Corn chips w/o salt seem to add the pounds to me.

I understand being vain, but it is hard to be pretty and on hemodialysis.  Sorry.                   :waving;

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »

I like to boil a big pot of eggs, put them in a bowl, and in the refrigerator.  I take one out for snacks during the day.  It's the best quality protein you can get.  I throw away the yolks because they have too much phosphorous.  The egg whites have 50 mg. of potassium.   :clap; :clap; :clap;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »

Once I started D almost 2 yrs ago, since summer of 2010 I have lost a total of 73 pounds since renal failure.   I used to wear a size 2X clothing in shirt and pant and now I wear a medium for both shirt and pant.

I cut out ALL dairy.....milk.....cheese, breads, cereals and potato and all sodas and boom it happened. Before D, I could never lose weight. I think I retained fluids that badly that no matter what I did, what diet I tried, nothing worked until D.       So, in reality, D was the best thing for me.         :rofl;
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:41:36 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »