I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 09:46:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do you feel after dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you feel after dialysis?  (Read 3490 times)
gotmoose

« on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »

I was diagnosed last year with PKD. currently my GFR is 30. I'm wondering how do most of you feel after HD. My biggest fear is feeling so crappy that I wont be able to carry on somewhat of a normal life. I need to work since i carry the health insurance for me and my husband. Any input would be appreciated .
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »

I recommend you get the later in the day slot. That way if you feel crappy you can sleep it off before the next day's work.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »

If you absolutely must do in center D, then I will echo the previous poster and tell you to get the last slot of the day, or find a center that does nocturnal.  For me, when I was in center, I started at 3:00 PM, got off at 7:00 PM and went home and crashed until it was time to get up for work the next day.

However, I have to throw my hat in the ring for NxStage (home hemo).  I have no ill effects from NxStage treatments....I get my treatment done and then go on about my day.  No downtime required. 

Have you thought about PD as well?
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »

I'll tell you what, gotmoose, I feel far far better after dialysis than I did before I started it. Your fear is completely normal; we've all been there. It comes down to a simple equation - dialysis or death. The choice is yours and I'm sure you'll make the right one. You will have a 'normal' dialysis life which, in my opinion, is preferable to being six feet under, pushing up daisies.

Keep posting here. You'll find so much understanding and support.

Galvo
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:25:00 AM »

I do PD and don't have a problem with feeling cra**y either before or after. PD lets me keep my schedule fairly normal as far as work and socializing go, so I feel it's a win win, at least for me.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »

I do agree with the other folks. Get a later time slot.  That way you will sleep off bad effects.  I go 7p.m. to 3 a.m. nocturnal. I also work full time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »

I'm on short daily home HD and I feel great.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
gotmoose

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »

Unfortunately I work 2nd shift so afternoon HD is out of question. the dialysis unit by me only offers day time schedule. I would like to use PD eventually but not sure I would be able to due to major abdominal surgery last year, plus I live out in the country and use well water (not sure that makes a diff). Sounds like people on PD live a more normal life.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:58 AM »

Well water makes no diff for PD. You only need your own water to wash your hands. They send you all the fluids you need. I think with home hemo you would have to test it like everyone.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »

I recently switched my time from afternoon to early evening, and it's better.  Less people running around.  Less noise.  Less traffic on the drive home.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »

Unfortunately I work 2nd shift so afternoon HD is out of question. the dialysis unit by me only offers day time schedule. I would like to use PD eventually but not sure I would be able to due to major abdominal surgery last year, plus I live out in the country and use well water (not sure that makes a diff). Sounds like people on PD live a more normal life.

As jeannea pointed out, well water wouldn't make a difference on PD. You just use water to wash up with when connecting and disconnecting. The abdominal surgery would be the big question. But I'd ask. I think PD would let you have a more normal schedule, or at least one you can choose as opposed to having the center dictate it to you.
Good luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
sandra3105

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »

i spent 3 years on PD firstly, overnight 7 nights then after 18 months - had to also do a day dwell lites of fluid in your abdomen whilst working etc, quite uncomfortable and new clothes to adjust to the pregnant stomach look ! then another few months bloods not good so home from work an exchange at 6.00 pm therefore life centred around the machine & dialysis, then jan 12 start haemo training and within 4 weeks i felt completely well - yes PD is good to ease into the mind set of dialysing but it is not a long term option and haemo will eventually happen ( unless t/plant ) - i agree with other haemo patients that started PD should have done this from start - but as everyone is different that is my opinion ! once trained i will dialyise at home 3 nights per week then shut door for the other 4 days/nights giving you some mental freedom. ps. just been accepted for a 3 way t/plant swap and should happen in the next 3/4 months so fingers crossed i wont be taking machine home but i am glad i have been on it because if things dont work out with t/plant i am quite happy with the machine.

APD since dec 08 kidney disease since childhood.
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:48 AM »

Gotmoose, in comparison to the pre-dialysis period, I certainly feel better on HD than before.  It is certainly not a favourite leisure time activity.  I do the very early shift (we only have in-centre here) and then go straight to work in a relatively high-stress occupation.  It would be dishonest to say it is easy to get used to, and there are days when it is truly a struggle, but all in all, the fear and sickness before HD was much worse than having to deal with the reality of HD now.  Boredom and low BP (as in 45/30 post D on a bad day) are the biggest obstacles I guess...
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

From what Im reading on your post Gotmoose, is you are working 2nd Shift. So if that is the case, PD or Home hemo would definately work for you!  CAPD would probably be your best option if you didnt want to bother with a machine, but CCPD would probably be nice too. You could hook up at night after work and have the whole day and evening at work to yourself.

But we have found that Home hemo with NxStage is better for us because of time restraints.  I think you get better clearance with Hemo than PD.  Both do require more days, and that may be a draw back for you, but you will get better cleaning! 

Which ever modality you choose, please be sure you are comfortable with it!  We are here for you if you need us.

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »