I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:48:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  alcohol & renal failure/dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: alcohol & renal failure/dialysis  (Read 10137 times)
sandra3105

« on: March 19, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »

when i changed from PD ( 3 years ) to haemo - i felt totally healthy to the extent that i did not think of myself as sick  :thumbup; however as i slowly regain the things i loved doing / decorating my house / walking dogs for couple of hours / full time work ( sat at desk though ) having granddaughter & nieces at weekend - my mind tells me im OK i know i am not but that doesnt stop you wanting to do things eg having a drink with friends, going out etc.. where alcohol is everywhere ( this is the UK after all  ;) so i was trying to find out if possible what can one drink eg. type, amount etc,, without serious consequences - i still P what i drink in fluid and know that this will be thought of as selfish but spring is on the way and would like to indulge now and again- any views on this topic or experiences would be welcome :beer1;  nurses just say to watch your limits but i dont know what they are  :puke;

APD since dec 08 kidney disease since childhood.
Traveller1947

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »

I can only tell you my own experience with this, sandra.  I never drink alcohol at home, but I like to go out to lunch or dinner with a friend and that means having wine or sometimes a cocktail.  I avoid beer, although there are often interesting ones on tap at the restaurants we frequent.  In the past, I would have enjoyed them.  I never have more than one cocktail, but if we have wine with dinner, I usually have two glasses.  I try to plan in advance, so my fluid intake isn't too out of range and so the alcohol doesn't interfere with my pain medicine.  My nephrologist and dietitian are both aware of my alcohol consumption and both are okay with it.  Hope this helps.  All the best to you.  Cheers!
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

I just don't drink alcohol. I know it's just my personal choice and not a requirement. I stopped when I got my first transplant. When I go to a bar I just get a ginger ale or iced tea. Sometimes my sister lets me have a sip of what she's having. But for me it's just easier not to drink.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:31 AM »

I drink as little as possible.   The less that goes in means the less that goes out during dialysis.  It's a lot more pleasant to take out 1.8 than 4.8, believe me. 
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »

Ive actually talked to the dietician about this...
Beer is bad due to the contents,(potassium or phos? i cant remember which, the 'hops')  and vodka i think is made from potatoes so you should probably avoid those.
And of course if you have a fluid restriction, that should be watched as well...

They say as long as you do things in moderation, it shouldnt be a big deal.

I have an interesting story for you on this too:

I can tell you frm experience in stupidity ahaha that drinking the equivellent of 8 shots IS NOT a good idea... for anyone... But also want to mention, this is why im telling you this story! i didnt NOT feel drunk at all until 3 HOURS later, then all 8 hit me at once.... I was completely sober for 3 hours, then BAM i was so drunk I couldnt see straight. Idk if it was due to my kidney failure or slow metabolism or what, but that was the one and only time ive ever had more than one or two drink at a time. Ill occationally have One drink for my bday, or other special occation and that is all, it shouldnt hurt anything. Just dont over do it! Anything in moderation should be fine.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »

I love Long Islands and so when I go out I have one and drink about half.  I try and ask for a short one but they look at me like I'm stupid.  The liver processes alcohol not the kidneys.  So drink in moderation.

:wine;   

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

J & I use to drink alot together a few years back!  We don't indulge anymore for various reasons.  I personally could not handle my drinking.  It wouldnt take much for me to get all redneck!  I don't like being around mean drunks, so I stopped for that reason.  J on the other hand could drink like a fish, and one would never know!

I think if done in moderation, it should be fine!   :wine;

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

My nurse and dietician both have told me that drinking in moderation is ok. They don't want me drinking beer because of he phosphorous, but are ok with just about anything else. Of note, my dietician told me that wine is harder on the kidneys than hard liquor, but I guess that's if you still have any function left. I used to be a red wine drinker, but  unfortunately, since my kidneys failed wine tastes terrible to me. So I don't drink much of anything anymore. A scotch every now an then is about it.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Restorer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

"Regular" domestic beer has about 50 mg of phosphorus per 12 oz serving, and 100 mg of potassium. White wine has 30-ish mg of phosphorus and 100 mg of potassium per 5 oz serving. Red wine has 30-ish mg of phosphorus and 180 mg of potassium.

Beers worth drinking, especially darker, heavier beers, have even more phosphorus and potassium. You should probably avoid Guinness and other stouts and porters.

Sake is pretty okay, as far as I can tell, since it's made from polished rice. Distilled liquors are fine too, especially since they're stronger so you can drink less fluid.

As far as alcohol itself, that entirely depends on you. 2009-2010, I was fine drinking alcohol. But sometime before March 2011, something flopped and now alcohol messes with me. Any amount of alcohol will make me feel pretty bad until I next have dialysis. I don't know if it's an interaction with some of my meds, or if it's just a new idiosyncrasy of my body.

You can try drinking if you like, just account for the fluid and P/K if you drink beer or wine, and see how you feel during and afterward.

Edit: I guess I should say "regular domestic beer" in the US, so watery, yellow crap like Bud. I can't find exact nutritional information on other kinds of beers.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:57:57 PM by Restorer » Logged

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

Some of the meds we take can be effected with alcohol too... so if the bottle says dont drink, u probably shouldnt ;)

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »

Geez GLM you had 8 shots that night in Vegas?! You told me it was only two.. no wonder you don't remember what happened that night!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Oh wait, I got married didn't I? Maybe I had the 8 shots....

but I digress (as usual).

I will give my 2 cents on this from my experience.

1. In terms of fluid restrictions (OP mentions she outputs pretty much what she puts in - but not sure you can just take that as that it's ok to drink 3 pints because you'll pee it out - be sensible!) I always found it best to drink shots (for me, it was vodka - as clear spirits are understood to be better than darker ones - like beer per the K/PO4 in there). Anyway the shot size gives you the ability to drink "more" alcohol wise, if that's your thing, than being restricted to, for example 500ml of beer or wine.

2. I found that just a little bit of alc, eg the aforementioned vodka shot, would affect me while I was on D more than prior. Maybe this was due to other toxins in the system, or just generally being impaired.  So I could have two shots and be headed under the table... prior to D it took much more - not that I was a regular at testing that particular limit :) So for me it was kind of self regulating, because I would usually drink when having "lunch with the boys" on a Friday - theyt'd have a pint of beer or cider, and I'd have a vodka. worked well.

3. Not only is beer/wine higher in the nasties, but can also put the weight on (aka beer belly) - and not something you want in addition to PD belly I would think.

4. Drinking socially seems like the aim here, and that's great - nursing a glass of wine over a dinner or while chatting of a summer's eve is always good. In the world of PD you can prob extend that out a bit 2 glasses.

In general I'd discuss it with your neph for their recommendations - both general ones and also any impact there might be on your current meds.

Enjoy - in moderation!!

Now GLM do you happen to know what happened to my pants that night??????!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:16 AM »

ROFL RM, how in the heck would I know where your pants went? Did you do some amatur strip club while you were there? perhaps they were lost during the honeymoon lol
It wasnt vegas that i had the 8shots, it was actually a very stressful day a few years ago, and a friend of mine took me out, to 'destress' then insulted me repeatedly, and then she disappeared, so i decided that i would have "a" drink, well i ordered 2 shots, then 2 more, etc, because i wasnt feeling anything... i thought sheesh someone is giving me watered down shots or something... oh goodness no...

Seems now, probably due to my meds, that I cant even have 2 shots, or one drink, or any thing, because i feel it! weeee!

HemoDialysis since 2007
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:16:57 AM »

Darn it. I'm never in Vegas when all the fun happens.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:13 PM »

Darn it. I'm never in Vegas when all the fun happens.

don't feel alone, jeannea!

lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »

RichardMel, you are soo funny,

I was told that it is ok for me, but just not to get drunk. Yes the nasty tasting beer has a lot of phos in it. I dont have a fluid restriction nor do I have a potassium restriction. Odd I can drink alcholol, and eat at McDonalds but no peanuts or dairy. :banghead;

Cannot tell you how much I hate dialysis with the passion.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »

I haven't had a drink since 1981.  Boy, am I thirsty!  I smoke a bowl now and then when I  need a respite from that "empty head" feeling from dialysis.  It's not expensive if you grow it in your backyard every summer. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »