I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hospitals aka Big Business
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hospitals aka Big Business  (Read 2018 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »

I had to stay in the hospital overnight a week ago. 

I had surgery on Thursday (March 8th) and by Monday I was feeling light headed, my heart was racing, I had no energy.  Thoughts were I may need some blood.  After all, the center had ran out of heparin and I clotted off and they had to toss my kidney and lines, I'd had surgery, lots of blood work etc... 

So they toss me in the hospital to maybe give me a transfusion.  Labs come back that I'm low but not enough to trigger a blood transfusion.

Then the hospital's doctor takes over.... A "Hospitalist".  She says my surgery arm is infected.... even though my surgeon just left me saying my arm looked fine.  It was swollen and red but not infected.  I had no fever.  So... that Hospitalist ordered me an antibiotic (Vancomyson) which requires a shot in the stomach with heparin (ouch) and 3 different blood draws.  The surgeon ordered 2 in the first place; so 5 altogether.  Someone ordered an EKG (not sure who) but I had just had one on Thursday.  A Chest x-ray, which I had just had one the prior week.

Now, I'm thinking I was taken advantage of.  I have Medicare and Blue X Federal.  Can we say CASH COW.  Moo

To me that is BS what happened.  I was in for a possible blood transfusion and didn't need it.  Should be end of story.

Plus I was questioning everything.  I flipped out when the nurse came to give me a shot in the stomach of heparin.   ???  So, maybe they would have ordered MORE tests had I not been such a bitch. 

That is just crazy to me.  How can they get away with that.  Why should Medicare pay for 2 EKG's and 2 chest x-rays within a week of each other?  They shouldn't and I shouldn't. 

This is just not right!    :waiting;
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:43:16 AM by Rerun » Logged

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »

I don't know. You should definitely question everything and refuse what you don't need. But the rates are so low for Medicare reimbursement that I don't know if we're cash cows. I look at my statements from Medicare and Blue Cross. Someone charges $400 and they pay them $30. That sort of thing. I think it's more that these days they do a thousand procedures to make sure they're covered and you can't sue.

I'm sorry you had a sucky night in the hospital. I always refuse shots in the stomach since I'm on PD but I've had them and they hurt like hell. Did they ever figure out what was really wrong with you?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »

No, they never did find out what was wrong with me.  I'm getting better on my own.  I upped my heart medication and my heart quit racing.  Did I tell my Cardiologist? No.  It would take 2 weeks to get in to see him and ASK so I just did it and it worked.

They say they hate medicare but medicare DOES pay.... maybe not what they charge, but they do pay.  They want $40 for a bandaid and Medicare pays them 90 cents.  Who is correct?

It is a bullshit game and we are the game pieces.

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »

I understand your frustration.  Last week I got a bill for a Hep C test that I'd already taken.  One that determines the strain of hepatitis you have.  Once you have it - it does not change, so it was a waste of money.   And it was not cheap.  It was over $500.   The crazy thing was the hospital that did it self-insures(I have their insurance), and so they ran up the bill on themselves.  I do not think your doctors see you as a cash cow, although it may appear that way, and I understand why you might think that.  They basically order lots of tests to cover their own rear ends should a lawsuit emerge, and they do.  But a lot of money is wasted on tests that aren't needed because of this fear.  That's my take on that stuff. 
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »

Rerun, I totally understand your frustration.  So much injustice goes on in these Hospitals.  But I do know that whenever a surgery is performed they want a chest X-ray to be sure everything is "clear".  J was in the hospital for 77 days with a ton of surgeries and a ton of chest x-rays!  Its down right frustrating!

I don't understand why all the blood work.  Seems rediculous to me!

God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:47 PM »

that's why when I had chest pains do to the dypperitimal I didn't go in because I already knew the problem and I would of had to under go unecessary tests.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »

MOOO!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »

Has anyone read Moo by Jane Smiley? Awesome book.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »