I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney Transplant Recipient Dehydration
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Transplant Recipient Dehydration  (Read 7059 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 30, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »

This is from a friend, a kidney donor, in Louisiana. - Karol

Worthwhile info for kidney recipients:

Hello All,

Sorry to have been absent for so long.  WARNING:  I donated a kidney to my 24 year old son in July of 2005 and he has been just AWESOME since then.  He has NEVER missed a single dose of medicine, drinks plenty of water, stays out of the sun (unprotected etc...)  Last Thursday he got a little sick to his stomach at around 6 P.M.  It was just a stomach virus.  He was so nauseated he basically threw up everything that he drank.  This continued even though we pushed liquids until we decide that we better get him checked out at 4 the next morning.  The doctor at Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans said that Kyle was SEVERELY DEHYDRATED.  His bloodwork showed an elevated BUN and a Creatinine level of 2.8!!!!!!  This happened in only 10 hours.  After 2 days in the hospital his creatinine went down to 1.4 and they expect that it will go all the way back to 1.1.  We consider ourselves to be VERY AWARE and Medically savvy parents and still in that short time Kyle went from 0 to 100 and in the danger zone!  So to all of you kidney recipients, if you get a bug don't waste any time getting to a hospital and IV fluids.  I shudder to think what might have happened had we just let the virus "run its course".  (as we would have done had it been either of our other 2 boys)  Fortunately, we have a happy ending.  Any longer and it might have been disaster.

I hope this finds you all doing well. I wish you all the best in your individual struggles against kidney failure.  Thank God for the transplant surgeons of the world.

Keep the Faith,

Stan from Baton Rouge

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
st789

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:32:34 AM »

Thanks for sharings.

I always remind myself to do the same.
coravh

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »

About 2 months after my transplant I contracted the Norwalk virus. I started throwing up at about 8 am and by noon in was in the ER. I just don't wait more than 4 hours if I can't keep anything down. I feel a lot safer that way.

Cora
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:36:25 PM »

Thanks for the advice Stan.  :thumbup;
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:34:48 AM »

:thumbup;  Great Info Karol and Stan,

The last thing you want to do when you feel that sick is to drag yourself out of bed and go to hospital. I would not have thought about the rapid dehydration risk to the transplanted kidney. So thank you.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:24:55 PM »

That was awesome for him to post that warning, and thank you Karol for posting it here for us, damn i love this website and everyone in it  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 01:00:44 AM »

Thanks for the warning. I've been thinking I've been drinking enough (up to 3 litres and more a day) but perhaps yesterday I got a bit slack.

My 9-day old transplant has been doing well, with my creatinine having reduced from 560 to 154. Today it is up to 166, and I was told to drink more water. Shows how easy it is.

I will definitely keep this in mind about simple stomach bugs, because my natural instinct would have been to ride it out and just drink extra. Now I will know to get to the emergency room and onto an IV.
keefer51

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 06:01:02 AM »

I think you get so used to fluid restrictions that when you are allowed to drink fluids you don't drink as much. My body and mind would see fluid and say no. Then i would remember that i could. I was so scared about putting on too much fluid. I got sick from something else after a week of my transplant. High fever. It took a week in the hospital. Everything turned out ok though.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »