I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  a rant!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a rant!  (Read 2472 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: March 16, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

Well as I've said on here before I switched from plavix to dipyridamole

because my neph said I will get more benifit out of it, my v surgeon however doesn't believe the study. Here's my rant, the drug makes me sleepy and a bit like crap, I explained this to my nurse practitioner and she said drouzyness is not listed as a side affect so it's gotta be something else, while she's right, I did see something that said don't do anything that requires you to be awake and alert until you know how this medicine affects you. I'd rather switch back to plavix but my neph wants me on this one, so I know this is non compliant but I'm only going to take it on the weekends, I'm sorry I work during the week and I can't do my job while feeling crappy, so if my graft clotts off then so be it but I do not want to deal with sleepyness while at work thank you very much. Any suggestions how I can talk my neph into switching back? I think my v surgeon would rather have me on plavix.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Annig83

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

Hey Sulli, in my experience in dealing with multiple doctors, I would have your V doc. communicate with your Neph.  It appears that your Neph and him have some difference in opinion, and even though you have been trying your best to convince your Neph, that there is an issue with this new medication, it's not your job to be the mediator (in my opinion) between your two doctors.  I would highly suggest that you continue taking the new medication, at least until you can possibly switch back to Plavix... I know it can make you sleepy, but is there a chance that the side-effect would wear off?  My Lisionopril (for BP), used to make me extremely fatigued, but I waited it out and it doesn't affect me anymore...maybe (and I'm being positive here), it will do the same for you?? :cheer:  I would have your V doc. make a call to your Neph. and see if there isn't anything else you can be put on, or switched to, or even for them to come to an agreement that the Plavix is best... you never know?!  Good luck.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

According to what I read any side affect can ware off with this med after a while once your body adjusts, but here's the thing, I work at a bank and when you are dealing with bank info you gotta be alert as possible, and when I'm sleepy I have been known  to screw something up really bad lol. That's why I'm so concerned about taking this.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Annig83

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:26 PM »

Gotcha... well, like I said before I would have one doctor contact the other... see if they can't figure things out for a change?!!  ??? 

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »

I totally agree, Sully, have your VS get with your Neph and you might tell them of your concerns and insist on the plavix. Plavic is a blood thinner and it does not put people to sleep.  I don't understand why neph would prescribe something different if the Plavix is working.  It has nothing to do with kidneys, but alot to do with thinning the blood, ie less clotting!

Just insist on it in a nice way so as not to be non-compliant.

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »