I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 09:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Student Receives the Gift of Life (Guelph, Ontario -- Canada)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Student Receives the Gift of Life (Guelph, Ontario -- Canada)  (Read 1599 times)
EndPKD

« on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »

Student Receives the Gift of Life Twice

Mom’s organ donation helps student survive kidney disease

At four o’clock in the morning, the phone rang. “Bring your daughter to the hospital right away,” a lab technician instructed Kim. Other than having some blood tests done to try to figure out why Candice’s flu symptoms weren’t clearing up, the day before had been a regular day for the family. So when Candice’s mother and father roused her for a sudden drive to Grand River Hospital, she realized something more serious must be going on.

In fact, that phone call signaled the start of a life-changing journey for the U of G student who was just 21 at the time.

“As a teenager, I occasionally got itchy rashes and upset stomachs, but for the most part, I was healthy and energetic,” says Candice. “Over the years, my symptoms were attributed to allergies and food sensitivities and they were manageable. But by July of 2008, I was also suffering from loss of appetite, muscle cramps, psoriasis and night terrors. My mom insisted that more blood work be done. That’s how I found out I had kidney failure, or ESRD.” ...

More: http://atguelph.uoguelph.ca/2012/03/student-receives-the-gift-of-life-twice/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »