I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yeeeeeeees! My Fistula Can Finally Be Used!!!!!  (Read 12524 times)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »

I bet Restorer.  Actually, it takes more room to store PD supplies than NxStage supplies.  Im serious, Restorer, you should give it a try.  If you don't like it, then go back, but I think you are an excellent canidate for Home D, and especially NxStage. I know no one likes the needle part of it, but other than that, you can get good cleaning on NxStage.

These In-Centers are just geting you on and getting you off to put the next one in that chair.  Most run BFR so high, and thats not good for access or heart.  I just wish you would try it Restorer.  No doubt you could do it if you wanted.  You have a very good knowledge of your care.  Just got to try it.  Also, we find traveling with this machine to be very easy.

At home, we can wheel the machine outside w/h extension cord, hang out bags and drain in the yard!  We love it!  But Im sure you have your reasons, but storage can not be one of them, if you did PD.

Sorry, not telling you what to do, but I do agree, In-center is the Pits!

Did you ever have the peritonitis, Restorer? I have heard it is very, very painful.

Cord, Im not Restorer, but I will tell you, Peritonitis almost took my husbands life the 3rd time around.  He was sick to death, and doubled over with pain.  The first 2 times were bad, but not that sick, but the 3rd one was horrific pain!  J has very high tolerance for pain, but this was one HE FELT!!!  It was a very serious infection! Thus ending PD modality
for him.  But looking back, PD was just not getting it for him anymore.  And we feel NxStage is a much better choice.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 06:11:17 AM »

I bet Restorer.  Actually, it takes more room to store PD supplies than NxStage supplies.  Im serious, Restorer, you should give it a try.  If you don't like it, then go back, but I think you are an excellent canidate for Home D, and especially NxStage. I know no one likes the needle part of it, but other than that, you can get good cleaning on NxStage.

These In-Centers are just geting you on and getting you off to put the next one in that chair.  Most run BFR so high, and thats not good for access or heart.  I just wish you would try it Restorer.  No doubt you could do it if you wanted.  You have a very good knowledge of your care.  Just got to try it.  Also, we find traveling with this machine to be very easy.

At home, we can wheel the machine outside w/h extension cord, hang out bags and drain in the yard!  We love it!  But Im sure you have your reasons, but storage can not be one of them, if you did PD.

Did you ever have the peritonitis, Restorer? I have heard it is very, very painful.

Cord, Im not Restorer, but I will tell you, Peritonitis almost took my husbands life the 3rd time around.  He was sick to death, and doubled over with pain.  The first 2 times were bad, but not that sick, but the 3rd one was horrific pain!  J has very high tolerance for pain, but this was one HE FELT!!!  It was a very serious infection! Thus ending PD modality
for him.  But looking back, PD was just not getting it for him anymore.  And we feel NxStage is a much better choice.

God Bless,

When the nurse told me about that risk, that was one of the personal reasons why I chose not to do PD. It scared the hell out of me hearing how painful and really dangerous it can be.   That and I really wanted to be able to swim so those two reasons were the deciding factors for me personally.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:12:25 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »

Well PD does have some advantages though, but sterilization is the KEY word with PD.  But some don't like the looks of the "Fistula". I personally don't mind what my J's looks like, I think it is a Beautiful thing cause it is his lifeline.  He can shower and swim all he wants, if he wants, an not have to worry about infections.  It's all natural, nothing artificial.

There are Pro's & Con's to all modalitys!  You just have to go with what you are comfortable with.  Ours was being at home!  We did PD for 5yrs till it petered out, and now, of course doing NxStage.  In J's case with his other medical issues, I think PD may not have been good for him in hindsight.  The Dextrose and the prone to infections I think maybe could have saved him some things had we gone with Home hemo instead.  For those reasons, and those alone, are why I feel maybe PD was not right for him.  Other than that, PD was a fantastic option.  There are others here that do very well with PD.  Being at home was our thing, period!!!!

Cord, sounds like you will soon be able to take your youngun's swimming soon! God Bless you, cause with an Autistic child, it is a little more difficult, but admire the love that you have for your children and having to deal with Kidney Disease!  My hat is off to you dear!  My daughter has an autistic son also, and her husband has MS, so she definately has her hands full too.  I keep her other son on weekends so she can give my other G-son the attention he needs.  We really enjoy our grandson that comes to stay on weekends.  He loves going to church with us cause he knows some other kids there that go to his school.  He just turned 14, so those are very impressionable years. Self worth is so important at their age. He really is a great kid!

Sorry, I got in a NOVEL mode again.  It happens!!!!!

God Bless,

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 03:03:33 PM »

Yes, all different forms, they have their advantages and their disadvantages.         I agree!      :thumbup;

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Restorer

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »

I live in a second-floor apartment with little extra space, and my living situation is not especially stable. My family is 400 miles away. I'm on SSI and there's no way I could afford the kinds of supplies or equipment that isn't provided for me.

Is a partner or caregiver still required for home hemo/NxStage? I don't have anyone I'd feel okay about roping into that.

I had peritonitis 5 times, all Staph aureus. Each time was more painful, but I have a high pain tolerance. The last time ruined my peritoneal lining and cost me my ability to do PD. Lots of scar tissue. For the 2 months after that, it was fibrin everywhere and highly negative ultrafiltration - I absorbed fluid very rapidly. Then I just had too much fluid on me and I had to go on hemo.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »

It sounds so painful.   

What is fibrin?

Restorer

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

It sounds so painful.   

What is fibrin?
Hard or stringy snot-like clumps that form because of infection or inflammation. They can get caught in the catheter and cause problems.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

Oh my goodness, sounds gross just from the description!       :o

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »