I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 07:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  issues with tape
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: issues with tape  (Read 4399 times)
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« on: November 09, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »

Hi, I have been doing NxStage for two weeks but have been doing in-unit for several months before that.  Prior to that I was doing PD during which time I never taped my catheter because of the problems that I had with tape irritation.  I am now suffering from the same problem from the tape used to secure my needles.  I have been using the clinic tape which is supposed to be hypo-allergenic and have now switched to silk since in the past I have had less problems with that.  The thing is, I don't think that it is really allergy, but my my skin does get bumpy and itchy and then scaly and I think that the problem is, that I am now stuck in a vicious circle.  I think that it is more of an irritant issue but I do not know what to do.  I am trying to spray an anaesthetic spray on every so often to stop me itching because it is s-o-o itchy!  Any suggestions?

I know that some people use tegaderm.  Is that in addition to tape?  how is it applied to make the needles secure?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »

I have the same issue, I just deal with it but I understand it is annoying.
As far as I know people use tegaderm only for catheters.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
SteveK87

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »

Where exactly do you develop the itchy bumpy skin?  Only in the areas where the tape was?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »

I was having tape problems when I would finish treatment, then leave the tape on overnight.  My nurse suggested that I only had to leave the tape on for a half-hour or so after treatment.  I tried that last night and the tape situation was much better.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »

Amanda...I don't know if this helps or not but hubby was using regular tape, paper, silk and plastic and had troubles with it "eating" his skin, causing breakdown.  Now I put gauze under and over his needles and use just a minimum about of tape and then tape the lines further down to the back of his hand, changing the spot every day.  Also, we use "SureSeals" after pulling the needles which are like bandaids but have a pressure dressing inside them.  This has solved his problem.  If you are in the US and your neph writes a script for the Sure Seals they will be covered and are available through a medical supply store. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:21:36 PM »

Hi Amanda....,

You can try to use bandaids instead of tape.   When you insert your needles, put bandaids over them instead of tape.  When you are done, you can pull the needles out by putting a gauge over the bandaids. 

Hope this helps.  :thumbup;

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »

I have the same problem with the silk tape

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
bleija

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »

try using something called skin prep, it creates a barrier between ure skin and the adhesive from the tape, so when u take it offit takes the skin prep off and not ur skin, i use it on my stomach, bc i have yet to find a tape that doesnt irritate it idk where u can get it, my hubby works at a hospital so he bring me them from there but its worth looking up anyway
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:26:45 PM »

I use paper tape for everything. BandAids and any other tape pulls my skin off.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

Bleija, I tried those skin prep wipes and they seem to help.  I also use Udderly Smooth to moisterize the skin where the tape goes.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

I use paper tape for everything. BandAids and any other tape pulls my skin off.

My husband only uses paper too.  What I do after sticking him, I paper tape his 2 needles down securely, then I put a glove over his hand (it keeps his fingers warm) and tape in three different sections on the glove.  Then I run the lines(curve around the glove) up the arm to where I clamped the lines to his shirt.  I put paper tape in front of the clamp (on his shirt) and after the clamp ( on the shirt).  The only place that tape is on his skin, is where I stick him.

He likes it, cause sometimes that tape will sort of break him out, so this way, its not nearly as irritating as was before.

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
bleija

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

im glad it helped, where did u end up finding them? just curious
Pages: [1] Go Up Print