I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bill Peckham, is that you???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bill Peckham, is that you???  (Read 4496 times)
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »

(alene writing)
A little over 4 years ago, I posted to Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree "Travelers with Disabilities" branch regarding the possibility of travel to Europe while on hemodialysis. We were beginners at that time. I was just on Lonely Planet and did a search for "dialysis". My old post came up, along with several replies - one from a Bill Peckham who had started dialysis in 1990 and had traveled extensively in Europe since 1996! Bill wrote about the cost of hd, which is a very significant factor in traveling outside of the US. In Guatemala it cost us between $200 and $250 per session a I recall.

Bill, thanks for your reply so long ago. We are getting closer to our trip to Europe (I hope). Again, we have the cost issue. In your travels, what did you discover? Which countries are the least expensive (in particular, how do Italy, Spain, and Portugal compare ... with each other and generally in the cost spectrum)? I have looked at Global Dialysis but cost info is generally lacking. As far as arranging dialysis, we have used Holiday Dialysis International which is associated with Fresenius, but it is premature to contact them. I would rather start focusing on a country or two which are the most affordable.

Well Bill, it truly is a small world, made so by the internet and enhanced by travel. Thanks!  :)

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
AlasdairUK

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:58:32 AM »

I know Spain is a very common destination for people travelling from the UK on dialysis. It is slightly easier being an EU country, but I will find out from my clinic today how it would work for people coming from the US. When I know more I will let you know.

Alasdair

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:27:55 AM »

alene - I think the thorntree is great and I do (did) post there. As far as keeping costs down one way would be to contact units directly HDI, if memory serves tacks on a bit to each treatment. One of my favorite trips was when a friend and I went from Portugal to Italy via Spain and France in 1997  no treatments in Portugal (weekend to start after a brief stop with treatment in London) I did have treatments in Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseilles, Florence and Rome. My info is a bit dated- wow has it been ten years? - but I thought price wise Spain was reasonable, of course the value of the dollar was greater back then but my memory is that Spain was in the low $300, Italy was in the low $400.

The Italian and Spanish units were set up by HDI but one unit I set up in Marseilles France gouged me after telling me (via fax/phone) that the price was "normal" they charged me about $1,000 for a treatment. I would advise contacting units directly and letting them know you are self pay. Another way to keep costs down is to stay for three or more treatments in one place (I often did just two). It is easier (cheaper) for them if you stay a while and some units - mostly in Australia - that I have visited will give breaks for longer stays.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:54:08 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:02:04 PM »

Thanks for your replies, guys. I am so stricken by the wanderlust right now. Thorn Tree is the only thing that gets me through these times (well, that and planning the next trip). AlasdairUK, I am looking forward to more info from you. Bill, just a question - would booking France through HDI have prevented the $1000 dialysis session situation? (I would certainly rather learn from your experience than get stung while in another country/continent myself). Where else have you been? I just found out today that Spain was tops on Rolando's list because he speaks the language. But, given that language was not an issue, he would pick Germany then Italy. We try not to talk about things from the "what we can't do" point of view, but instead from the "how can we make it happen with what we have" perspective. So Rolando, if you're reading this, get to work on learning German and Italian. We have places to go and things to see and cuisines to conquer!

In my opinion, the (hemo)dialysis issue ties a traveler to a central location with day tripping from there. Is that how you've done it? If so, what do you think some good choices for home bases would be?

Everyone else, jump in - international travel on in-center hemodialysis - successes, failures...
You already have our contribution - Guatemala, centered in Guatemala City (Hospital Herrera Llerandi). $200-$250/session. One-on-one dialysis, the tech would even pick us up at the hotel!
We day tripped all over the country. I drove (something I never would have done without Rolando's influence). What a blast!!!

Photos can be seen at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/templodos/albums in Guatemala Jan/Feb 2006.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:00:13 AM »

was tut, meinen Sie lernen Deutsch? ich denke, dass wir dabei sind, eine Druckwelle in Europa zu haben of course it wouldn't be much fun without my pocket translator or my laptop...hehehe

your bro...

Rolando

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »

was tut, meinen Sie lernen Deutsch? ich denke, dass wir dabei sind, eine Druckwelle in Europa zu haben of course it wouldn't be much fun without my pocket translator or my laptop...hehehe

your bro...

Rolando

hey epoman, how do you :bump; a post, this one for example?

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:24:39 PM »

your bro...

Rolando

hey epoman, how do you :bump; a post, this one for example?

You just did it.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

I'm traveling right now but have you seen the blog section of globaldialysis.com? http://www.globaldialysis.com/blog/index.asp?ui=Bill%20Peckham&s=bloggers I've posted various trip reports there. And there are some links and photos on my extremely lame site www.billpeckham.com

In summary I've dialyzed on five continents, 19 countries.  Since starting dialysis I've been to 29 countries. I hope to go diving in Aruba this November but it wont count as a new country since it is part of the Netherlands.

I fly out in 4 hours - I hope this weekend I'll be able to reconnect with you all while I relax at home.  Cheers,
Billp
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:11:20 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »