I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can obese people give or recieve a kidney?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can obese people give or recieve a kidney?  (Read 4111 times)
wookieswife

« on: February 27, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »

Does one have to be a healthy weight to GIVE a kidney or be placed on the donor list?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »

Hi wookieswife, and welcome to IHD.

Please go to the Introduce Yourself section and click on new topic in the upper right corner.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Thanks,  Rerun, Moderator   :welcomesign;

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »

Transplant centers follow BMI guidelines for both the donor and the recipient. I don't know exactly what numbers they use. I think they might vary a bit from one center to the next and some of it may depend on the overall health of those involved. For example, my sister offered to donate to me, but she failed the diabetes test by .1 of whatever test it is. She isn't diabetic, but the concern in her case is that the elevated value indicates she may face diabetes in her future. Although she isn't obese, they rejected her and said they will retest her if she loses 20 pounds. I've seen other posters here say similar things. A potential donor must be healthy to be considered for donation.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »

In most places, you must be a BMI of 35 or less, (in my case, im 5'5m so 210 lbs or less would be a bmi of 35) to RECEIVE a kidney.
To give one, you must be in perfect health, and of a lower weight. Im not sure the exact criteria, but i do know that people considered obese cannot.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Annig83

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:39 PM »

I agree with GothicLoveMonkey.  My D center recommends being under 35% BMI for receiving, and having an even lower BMI to give.  Also, no history of any kidney problems such as kidney stones, or high blood pressure.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:43:26 AM »

I was told that being over weight will help determine if you get or give a kidney.  My transplant center uses the BMI index.  I'm 6'0" and 250 and RIGHT at the line of being overweight.   The Dr keeps telling me to lose some weight, but is still going to transplant when a match comes in.   So, while waiting, I'm trying to lose some pounds.

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
*kana*

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »

I "think" they take each person and look at them as individual vs always looking at just the BMI.  I am 5'7" and 243#'s and they are only concerned if I get a transplant I am more apt to get diabetes.  They told me that my belly is fairly flat and thats what they look at.  I suppose all hospitals are different, but that is what mine told me.

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »

In the UK the preferred BMI is 30 and under for both recepients and donors (at our hospital anyway).  My BMI had to be 27 before they would agree to operate (donor). 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
keefbeer

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »

A patient on my shift had his sister come forward as a donor, the Doctor told her to lose 70lb and quit smoking she did both and 18 months later a successful transplant. It is her opinion that her life was saved rather than her brother as she would not have changed her life style except to help him.
 As it was her bowel was damaged during the procedure and she spent two weeks in hospital which with her previous size could have proved fatal.
kamar55

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »

A woman at my dialysis unit is on the transplant list. She's average height and weighs 250lbs (about 115kgs) with a BMI (according to chart) of 42.

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Savemeimdtba

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »

Where do you live, Kamar?

The transplant team won't even evaluate me until I get to a BMI of 38 ... I'm 5'0 even, wish I were taller then my BMI would be lower :P

Anyways, RSN posted this article the other day which I found interesting:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/chicago-man-receives-robotic-kidney-transplant-after-17-years

And no - they do not judge it on a case by case basis... it'd be nice if they did.  I am 28, no other health problems except kidney disease and being overweight with no indication that i would respond poorly to a transplant but I can't even get evaluated.  Yet a 60+ year old with multiple problems, heart disease, etc. can get one and typically doesn't do well... just doesn't make sense to me.

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:09 PM »

I live near Cleveland, Ohio.  Cleveland Clinic would not list me because of my BMI, but just a few miles down the road University Hospital listed me, no problem. They asked if I wanted to see a dietitian and I did.  During the 4 years I waited for a transplant I lost about 45 pounds, but they didn't require the loss.  They did like that I was loosing  weight because they said it makes the operation and recovery easier.  Ironically, by the time I got my new kidney I was well below the required BMI at the Cleveland Clinic, but I think I was meant to be at University Hospital.  Since transplant I have gained 12 pounds.  My transplant team says the average weight gain after transplant is 20 pounds...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »