I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Appointment With the Transplant Clinic
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appointment With the Transplant Clinic  (Read 6670 times)
Krisna

« on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »

They called today.  I have an appointment with them on March 6th for the evaluation.  Now I need to schedule my dental appointments to finish having my teeth removed!  Something I already know I'll need to get done before I can have a transplant.  Even though I've had 4 transplants already they want me to go through their class but they said I may not need to do the whole 5 hrs.  One of the transplant surgeons is the one who saved my life after my small intestine ruptured!  I'm glad she's still there.    :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »

The class may be boring but it's a small hoop to jump through. Glad you'll be back on the list!
Krisna

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:45:11 AM »

The class may be boring but it's a small hoop to jump through. Glad you'll be back on the list!

Yeah, but she did say I may not have to all of it since I've had 4 transplants already.  But it is good to do it in case something has changed since my last one!

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:48 AM »

Maybe they want you in the class so you can teach it!

Actually your experiences and insight may be beneficial to those in the class.

Good luck,

Bill
jshabanian

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »

The class was boring the second time around for me...poor you having to sit through it 4 times already!!!  But it is a small price to pay.  I am amazed at how little most of the other attendees know about the process.  They don't even read the literature they are given.  I know that because they wouldn't ask the questions they ask if they had actually read the paperwork.

Bill is right that you will be able to give good insight to the class with your experiences.

Good luck!!!!!

janet
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »

Gee...no one ever offered ME a class! ???

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

I wasn't offered one either - I was told this is where and when it is, we'll see you there.

I was amazed at the emotion displayed. Men fighting back tears, it was uncomfortable and I resented being trapped there. I too hate the stupid questions. I normally love meeting new people and chit chatting, but DO NOT approach me at an eval. I do not want to meet you, I don't want to tell my life story, I don't want to hear your message of inspiration as you tell me that transplants can last a long time and I shouldn't worry (did I say I was worried?). I just want to get out of there as soon as humanly possible.

Krisna, you are a much better sport than I am. 5 hours is the longest I've EVER heard for one of these.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

classes for transplants???  Wow, what for? Glad I live here

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »

Cariad, Northwestern makes you go to transplant class?  I'm glad Rush doesn't require that.  They've never talked to me about such a thing.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jshabanian

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »

My class was all day.  But that included meeting with the doctors, the dietician, the social worker, and an instructional class.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »

Cariad, Northwestern makes you go to transplant class?  I'm glad Rush doesn't require that.  They've never talked to me about such a thing.
Some places do and some don't. Of the five evals I had, only 2 (UCSF and Northwestern) required it and I went because I was, you know, trying to suck up.

I told UCLA that they were out of their minds if they thought I was going to go to their FOUR HOUR lecture just for the privilege of being allowed to schedule an eval appointment. Two trips to Los Angeles? No. The two classes I did attend were on the same day as my eval, so a long day, but still just a day.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

My center sends out a dvd, so you can watch the "class" in your own home. They recommend having someone with you to help take notes. It is long and boring, but much better than having to drive down there, pay for parking, and sit in a class with others. They send the dvd out before the eval appt.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

Class? What class? I guess things are different up here in Canada. I sat in a information session for an hour, but that was it. I never took no 5 hour classes.      ???

Sounds interesting. Had it been offered here, I'd do it.     :)   Hope it goes well!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:12:21 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Krisna

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 02:32:44 AM »

Maybe they want you in the class so you can teach it!

Actually your experiences and insight may be beneficial to those in the class.

Good luck,

Bill

That's funny!  I've sure been doing this long enough!  Over 32 yrs!

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 02:34:40 AM »

Class? What class? I guess things are different up here in Canada. I sat in a information session for an hour, but that was it. I never took no 5 hour classes.      ???

Sounds interesting. Had it been offered here, I'd do it.     :)   Hope it goes well!

I don't know exactly.  They didn't have it for my other 4 transplants.  All I know is that it's an educational thing. 

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »

My center sends out a dvd, so you can watch the "class" in your own home. They recommend having someone with you to help take notes. It is long and boring, but much better than having to drive down there, pay for parking, and sit in a class with others. They send the dvd out before the eval appt.

KarenInWA

The one I go to is in Seattle but unless they've changed it since I was there abt 6 months ago, they validate.  But yeah, I'm sure it will be just as boring as what the kidney center made me do after my second transplant failed!  Boring videos!  And there were so many of them! 

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:40 AM »

My class was all day.  But that included meeting with the doctors, the dietician, the social worker, and an instructional class.

Yeah, the coordinator said that I may not need to meet with the doctors because I already know the transplant surgeon who will be there that day.  She's the one who saved my life after my small intestine ruptured in Dec. 2002!  My Nephrologist had the ER call her because she knew what was in my abdomen and I originally thought something was wrong with my last kidney.  It had swelled up real bad after failing.  And she was also the surgeon who did my third transplant.  That one had to be removed 9 wks later due to serious infection!

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 02:49:55 AM »

I wasn't offered one either - I was told this is where and when it is, we'll see you there.

I was amazed at the emotion displayed. Men fighting back tears, it was uncomfortable and I resented being trapped there. I too hate the stupid questions. I normally love meeting new people and chit chatting, but DO NOT approach me at an eval. I do not want to meet you, I don't want to tell my life story, I don't want to hear your message of inspiration as you tell me that transplants can last a long time and I shouldn't worry (did I say I was worried?). I just want to get out of there as soon as humanly possible.

Krisna, you are a much better sport than I am. 5 hours is the longest I've EVER heard for one of these.

I've been doing this a long time!  My kidneys failed in 1979!  The 5 hrs includes meeting with everyone which I might not have to do.  We'll see.  I'm tired of dialysis and my doctor says I'm healthy enough so I'll do what I need to get on the list!

Hickman
Krisna

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 02:52:12 AM »

The class was boring the second time around for me...poor you having to sit through it 4 times already!!!  But it is a small price to pay.  I am amazed at how little most of the other attendees know about the process.  They don't even read the literature they are given.  I know that because they wouldn't ask the questions they ask if they had actually read the paperwork.

Bill is right that you will be able to give good insight to the class with your experiences.

Good luck!!!!!

janet

Thanks!  I didn't have to go through it before.  This is new to me! 

Hickman
Restorer

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »

Both at UCLA and CPMC, I only had a 1.5-2 hour presentation, Q&A session, then waiting around, then interviews with the doctor and social worker, and lab draws. That was it. Altogether it was 4 or 5 hours at UCLA (with lunch), and 2 hours with CPMC's local outreach clinic (a smaller group).

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »

Yep, I only went to one tho since kidney and pancreas are two seperate classes, but I had a hypoglycemic attack in the cafeteria while waiting for the class for the kidney part and didn't need to make it up. It probably was a repeat of the pancreas because they went over med protocol, survival rates of organs they transplant, and more. I forgot how long it was, but there was lunch involved and the class room was packed.

I would just say give me the PowerPoint notes and if I have a question, wake me up....lol

Moosemom, at the time I was looking into transplants Rush gae a seminar that was very informative, but a little outdated on success rates compared to Loyola and Northwestern at the time. Rush came out to my dialysis center. Did I post about the NKF Transplant seminar in one of your post? There you can ask and get information without a hassle from the center by either talking to a coordinator or  one of the doctors.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

Both at UCLA and CPMC, I only had a 1.5-2 hour presentation, Q&A session, then waiting around, then interviews with the doctor and social worker, and lab draws. That was it. Altogether it was 4 or 5 hours at UCLA (with lunch), and 2 hours with CPMC's local outreach clinic (a smaller group).
Really? When did you go to your UCLA eval? I contacted them in 2006, did not get a response from anyone for months, badgered them some more, then received some form letter saying that I needed to report at this location at 8AM, it would be over by noon, and after that I could try hunting them down for an eval appointment. Perhaps they've dropped that bizarre policy? That was really the last straw for me with a hospital that seemed disinterested at best.

I've been doing this a long time!  My kidneys failed in 1979!  The 5 hrs includes meeting with everyone which I might not have to do.  We'll see.  I'm tired of dialysis and my doctor says I'm healthy enough so I'll do what I need to get on the list!
Oh, see, I would call the meetings with the transplant staff the eval, and the class part the information session. I hope you get on (and off) the list in a flash, Krisna.

Both UCSD (where I never actually went for my eval) and Cedars were willing to waive the information session requirement for me. My husband actually told Northwestern that I could teach the class and that I was hoping to get out of this part of the eval, the response was that there are probably a lot of patients that feel they could teach it, but the lecture was more about Northwestern's specific protocol so it would not be something I would already know. This turned out to be a giant lie, but what are you going to do? I think they wanted everyone there so they could recruit for clinical trials. Both UCSF and Northwestern mentioned clinical trials at this session, one even passed out fliers for their trial on using carbon monoxide during surgery to speed recovery. Something like that. It all turned out fine in the end, and I got to see more of their doctors and check out their individual styles, so it was useful for that.

Chris, the kidney info session was over 2 hours in my recollection. I don't think they even touched on meds because I would have had to shoot myself. Then again, we are talking about different decades, so perhaps yours would have been much shorter.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

Yes, Chris, you did give me that info.  I'm glad you reminded me because I had forgotten.

What kinds of things do they talk about at these classes?  I guess I never really thought about attending a class because if I have a specific question, I go online for information or I just email my coordinator.  I guess I'm just kinda taken aback because neither Rush nor UW has mentioned classes, and I'm wondering if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Restorer

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »

Really? When did you go to your UCLA eval? I contacted them in 2006, did not get a response from anyone for months, badgered them some more, then received some form letter saying that I needed to report at this location at 8AM, it would be over by noon, and after that I could try hunting them down for an eval appointment. Perhaps they've dropped that bizarre policy? That was really the last straw for me with a hospital that seemed disinterested at best.
I had several attempts at referral to UCLA from 2007 on, was told they'd call me, they never did. I finally called to make my own appointment in February 2010, got an eval appointment for May. The letter said basically,

We are pleased to consider you for transplantation. You will be meeting with the transplant nephrologist, surgen, coordinator, and social worker, so plan on being at UCLA the whole day.
Appointment: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

along with some information sheets and forms to fill out. If you tried with them in 2006, that was before the Ronald Reagan Medical Center was open. I had surgery at UCLA in 2007, in the old medical center, and it kind of sucked. The new medical center is much bigger and looks a little better. I bet they changed their procedures when they switched buildings - but obviously not how much they care about prospective patients.

I really don't deal with UCLA anymore after they took a month to send their blood typing result to CPMC. They send test packets to my dialysis center, and that's about all the contact I have with them right now.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »