I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Post-Transplant Pain?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post-Transplant Pain?  (Read 2413 times)
RuthWells

« on: February 28, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »

I know this will be different for everyone, but I'm curious how long transplant recipients had pain following their surgery.  I am 12 days post-transplant, the lucky recipient of a very robust (and LARGE) kidney from my older brother.  The only complication in the surgery was the unexpectedly large size of my brother's kidney.  I'm fairly petite, and they had a little trouble fitting this large kidney into my crowded abdomen. 

The good news is that the kidney is working great, prograff levels are great, and I've processed almost all of the extra fluid I took on in the hospital.  The bad news is, I'm still having a fairly high level of pain, 12 days after surgery.  My native kidneys (enlarged due to PKD) are still on board, which is causing some compression.  My incision is about 6" long, and I am having stabbing pains along the incision, in addition to aching and tenderness all around the surgical area.  My neph ordered an ultrasound today to look for excess fluid build up around the incision, but none was observed.

So, I'm having pain without any unexpected cause that we know of, to the degree of crying throughout the ultrasound today.  Walking and sitting upright for any extended period makes the pain worse.  I'd love to hear what others have experienced - I need some encouragement that things are going to get better soon!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:20 PM »

Since I had a kidney and pancreas  am not sure if this applies, but I had pain for 3 weeks before it lessened up and the little pillow helped a little when coughing or sneezing. Hopefully the ultrasound shows nothing going on other than you need you originl PKD kidneys taken out to make room

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RuthWells

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Chris, that is very helpful.  Do you mind if I ask how big your incision is fro the transplant?

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »

My incision was huge. This was years ago. But I had pain for a while after. I used a step stool to get into bed for 3 or 4 weeks because I couldn't lift my legs up. I held a pillow there when riding in a car almost as long. And I had pain when sneezing for about a year. So I'm a wimp. If the pain gets slowly better over time you're ok. If it gets worse call your coordinator.
mcclane

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »

My 2nd transplant was very recent.  I made some mistakes during my first transplant that I am correcting in my 2nd one in regards to pain management.  During my first one, the pain lasted for over a month, I had a hell of a time getting in/out of bed, and I basically sat around the house during that month.

This time around, I made a concerted effort to remain active, pain or no pain.  I fought hard to get out of bed myself (however, 2nd day after surgery I did require assistance to get out bed).  When I was able to get out of bed and walk around myself (yes, there was still pain), I kept at it.  By the 4th day, I was able to get in/out of bed easier, and the pain subsided quite abit, by the time they discharged me, I would say the pain was very low.  During my stay in the hospital, I only had one dose of morphine, and only took 2 tylenols.  I refused to take anymore pain medication (I wanted to eat solid food, and pain medications slow down your bowels).

Like you, I have a bulge on my left side, as that is where they put the new kidney.  It looks like a 20 cm incision.  My best advice is to keep active, once they dishcarged me I found that if I sat around too long the pain increased, but as soon as I stood up and walked around, the pain went away.  I was back in the gym the next day they discharged me, and I found that to be the best way for pain management. :beer1;
RuthWells

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »

I'm kind of fascinated by how everyone's experience varies.  My mobility is actually pretty good, I can get in and out of bed pretty easily.  What seems to cause me the most pain is sitting up for any length of time (though walking is also painful eventually).  I'm making a conscious effort to get out of bed more today in short bursts, so as to not overdo it.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Chris, that is very helpful.  Do you mind if I ask how big your incision is fro the transplant?

my incision is roughly 14 inches long, but since it goes around the belly button I am not sure of true length.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »

I was sore for a few weeks, but I was only in "pain" for like two days after surgyer, and that was only when I moved around a lot.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »