I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:19:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What happens if too fluid is removed on a constant basis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happens if too fluid is removed on a constant basis?  (Read 17850 times)
houndawg

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »

Hi,  It's been a while since I posted.  Dick came home from the hospital and i came down with pneumonia at the same time.  Life has been "fun".  Right now I am monitoring blood sugar levels and all medications.  Dick is not near as confused as he was and he seems to be feeling better.  He was released last Wednesday evening so we could make the Hershey appointment on Thursday.  The surgeon at Hershey asked how much Dick's insulin had been reduced when he went off PD.  Answer - none.  That is part of the problem, he thinks.  Insulin has been reduced.  The confusion is almost gone but it does seem greater after dialysis.  This past Tuesday being the greatest.  He told me that the nurse had a hard time keeping his BP up.  When we got home I checked it and found 78/54.  Next morning it was 154/63.  I called the center and asked about his BP during dialysis and told them he had commented about it and seemed to be confused after the treatment.  After his record was "pulled" I was told that the nurse noted Dick was confused when he came in.  That's not so.  I was with him all day and at no time did he show confusion.  We had a great dinner and even joked with our daughter.  I was also told that the nurse had only normal reading for BP.  I'm sorry I believe Dick.  I have asked for beginning and ending BP, and how much weight was taken off each time he comes in.  Tonight I will ask about the Kt/V and URR.  What is normal?  I really think Wellspan is trying to cover thier butts but I'm not going to stop.  I can hardly wait for the kidney. 

Gerald you are very much in my prayers. 
Liz
Gerald Lively

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »

Thank you!

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
ToddB0130

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »

I am still pre-D for now.   Once I sart in center nocturnal dialysis,  I will be including a thermometer, my One Step Ultra glucose monitor and the blood pressure montinor I use at home in my dialysis 'goody bag'.  I'll be using all three before and after my dialysis.  They can take their readings too ....but I'll have my own as well.   Do you have a blood pressure monitor you use at home ?  Maybe you can take your hubby's BP yourself before he starts dialysis as well.  Good Luck

No day but today
houndawg

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »

Thanks, I am monitoring his BP also.  Tonight another patient was taken by ambulance to the hospital.  of course if you ask the nurses they won't tell you anything.  I asked for the KT/V and URR reading from his last monthly blood test.  That seemed to raise questions on their part. They said the results were sent to my family doctor and I should call her.  When I said I should be able to access his records the said they could tell me what the readings were but could not give me a copy of his blood work up.  I let that drop for right now - battle another day.  When I asked them to tell me they said his blood was drawn late this month and they would not have his reading until maybe Saturday.  Blood was drawn late due his being in the hospital.  Strange they couldn't tell me that in the beginning instead of running around the block before saying we don't have it.  Is this test done monthly or is checked at every dialysis.  I also asked his nurse if his BP is recorded straight off the machine into the computer.  He said it was.  I asked how Dick's BP was and was told it good.  When asked what do they consider low I was told anything below 100 on top.  Bottom number does not play into the low reading.  Is that accurate?  Looking at the machine I saw several drops below 100 but back up in the next reading.  The nurse explained that when they speak of blood being low it refers to the beginning and ending numbers.  My question - doesn't what happens between matter?  Tonight, his begining wgt was 91.5 - ending 88.1.  Even this info is given reluctantly.

Thanks guys for being there.  I'd be totally lost without you.
Liz   
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »

keep asking for the lab results. you are legally entitled to them and don't have to wait till the dietitian gets around to getting the limited results the center provides you with to you. i get the exact same report the doctor gets whenever i ask for it. don't let them use the excuse you won't understand it. your doctor should explain anything you don't understand.  you and your husband have a right to participate in his care. keep pushing and push hard. keep researching everything. the better informed you are the harder it will be for the center to ignore your concerns.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »