I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I'm pissed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm pissed  (Read 2307 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: December 17, 2011, 04:42:09 AM »

My step-daughter took her 4 year-old to the doctor for her flu shot and they  gave her the inhaled LIVE virus.  Why this close to Christmas?  Now I can't be around her for, what, six weeks?   :banghead;   I need to call my doctor and see if I can be around ANY of them.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
kevinswife

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »

I took my son to CVS Pharmacy get a flu vaccine a couple of weeks ago.  He wanted the flu mist, but they only had the shot. I guess that was a blessing in disguise.  I didn't know that the flu mist could be dangerous to my husband who is a renal patient.   My son was so worried about getting a shot.  The nurse asked him to count to three.  She finished giving him the shot before he got to three, and he said it didn't hurt!

I hope your doctor says it is okay to be around your family.  Please let us know what he says.

Wife and care partner to Katonsdad. 
May you rest in peace my dear husband.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:13:45 AM »

Awwww, Kelly.

If it makes you feel any better....Carl is a teacher for kids younger than 6. They have all been going for their flu mist. So far, so good.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »

I just found she gave her the mist on 12/8.  However, she gave her son the mist sometime around Halloween!  Holy Moly!  Doesn't anyone listen to me?  I had no idea and I've seen him since.    Since transplant I don't love and hug on them anyway because, well... they're kids ( :rofl;), but at least a heads up would be nice!  OH!  And she got them all the mist LAST YEAR!!  No Idea!   :Kit n Stik;

Also, for the last two years I have gotten really sick (sicker than I ever have in my life) with "sinusitus" (that was the diagnosis at least).  I'm on antibiotics now cause I got sick last week.  Last year I got it on Nov 6.  Obviously, I didn't get "the flu" or have any kidney damage (thank the Lord), but still this information is important to me.  Had I known I could have told my doctor I had been exposed to the live flue vaccination and they might have change the treatment.

'm putting a message to my friends and family on Facebook (and email) right now and every flu season to come!  Also, I'm putting a sign on my front door that says the same "If you have been vaccinated with a live vaccination, do not come into my home".   grrrrrr!
Now, I know I can't do anything about strangers in restaurants or the mall, whatever, but I don't touch these people or sit face to face with them.  Thank God for hand sanitizer.

Understand, I do take some blame because I didn't think to do all this before hand.  How soon they all forget once we are "healed"!!!!   :banghead;

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:48:15 PM »

kellyt,

Long before my kidneys failed, I had developed chronic sinusitis.  Chronic inflammation in my sinuses that would flare up into sinusitis infections at least three or four times a year.

I knew that for a kidney transplant I would need to be on immunosuppressants which might make these sinus infections worse, but none of my doctors thought it was any big deal.

So I got the transplant and the immunosuppressants--and then I developed a sinus infection.  The culture showed that it was a strain of Pseudomonas that was resistant to every known oral antibiotic except Levaquin (which isn't too great for my transplanted kidney).  But even with the Levaquin, the sinusitis never quite went away.   It just stays and stays at a low level.  I've had it now for six months.

Well, at least now I was able to tell my doctors "I told you so." 
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »

That's horrible!  I used to work for an allergy and asthma doctor for 8+ years and I never got anything worse than Mountain Cedar allergies around the Christmas time.  I thought what I had now was due to Mountain Cedar (that might be a Texas thing)but apparently Mt Cedar hasn't even hit yet.  And, yes, sinusitis can turn into something worse if untreated in a normal person, but for us it can be really bad and last really long.  Last yeaer when i got it I lost my voice 100% for a week and then once I got it all under control I was still sounding horrible and coughing for about 4 weeks.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »

Levaquin is the devil's brew, I'm convinced.  When I read it is used to treat anthrax, I knew my body wouldn't care for it. :puke;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »