I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 03:27:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  When your trained...questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When your trained...questions  (Read 3967 times)
ESRD Survivor

« on: January 12, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »

I am about to start training on the 23rd, but I still haven't learned how to stick myself.  I am working on it.  Did you already stick yourself before you trained?  I know training will go faster if I know and I kind of got the feeling I should know before training.  Thoughts, advice?
fearless

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

it's weird how they're kinda vague about this.  I thought I HAD to do in-clinic for a while, til i could needle myself.  Then I found out that some people go directly to home dialysis and never do in-cliinic.  When I asked the question point-blank, I was told it's much EASIER if you know how to needle yourself first (and have your buttonholes established if that's what you're going to do)  Easier for who?  I'm not really sure what's what, but I guess I'll find out soon.  You let me know if you find out first! :-)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »

I started NxStage when I still had a catheter, and my graft was ready to be used about two weeks after I finished training. I went back to the training centre for a week to learn how to stick myself.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

If you have a partner willing to learn to stick you during the training or who already knows how, then it's certainly not required.  Plenty of patients do home hemo without ever sticking themselves, for any number of reasons - mobility, vision, etc. 

I think the reason they encourage people to learn before is that it is one less thing to have to think about during training while you are learning how to work the machine.  It's like learning to drive a car - it gets easy and familiar with practice, but at the beginning, it's a lot to absorb.  One less thing to think about while you are learning is just going to make the process smoother.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

I had to go in clinic to help develop the fistula as I was on PD prior to this.  My nurse developed my buttonholes for me (not particulalry recommended because angle insertion between people can be a problem) and they work fine.  I had a couple of goes cannulating myself with sharps  with about 50% success.  I was trained completely at home for NxStage and was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it to the point that I was waking up worrying about it.  So a few days into the training, when I was on my own,  I just sat and cannulated myself (only the arterial because this one is easier)because I thought that it would be easier to do without someone watching.  I'm a registered nurse so even if I had spurted a bit od blood it wouldn't have phased me, but I don't particularly reccommend that,you do this.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
fearless

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »

amanda, if there were a "like" button I would like your post!  It's always encouraging to hear how someone just went ahead and did something for themselves.  Fearless!!!  ha ha
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »

If you have a partner willing to learn to stick you during the training or who already knows how, then it's certainly not required.  Plenty of patients do home hemo without ever sticking themselves, for any number of reasons - mobility, vision ect...

I fall into this category.  I stick my husband because of his sight and he is right handed, so is his fistula, so I do not mind doing if for him.  But I do admire those who do it themselves.  If it were me, I would do myselft too!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »

I learned to cannulate Carl during our NxStage training.

But I needed to go away for a week. He took his machine into the clinic while I was gone. The first day they just handed him the needles and said he could do it (we used the ladder technique). He did his own needles the whole time I was gone!

After i got back he did his own needling a few times, but then turned it back over to me. It was nice to know that he COULD do it in case something happened to me.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 07:24:01 PM »

When we were trained (i was to cannulate hubby) they brought us in for two weeks (6 sessions) and trained me to canulate him.  Then we came in for NxStage training.  I was so glad to do that as i am a needle phob and had to at least get a start of 'getting over it' so i didnt focus on that instead of the machine.  It was a good thing to have done :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Desert Dancer

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:55 PM »

I began home training with a catheter and had the nurse create my first set of buttonholes three weeks in. It took about about two weeks to get them established and from that point on I've been the only person who's cannulated them.

Of course, the first set gave out after four months and I had to create my second set at home (it was a Sunday and I'd already been four days without dialysis, no choice). I'd never sharp stuck myself before and it was really intimidating at first but now I'm a pro at it.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
M3Riddler

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »

I am about to start training on the 23rd, but I still haven't learned how to stick myself.  I am working on it.  Did you already stick yourself before you trained?  I know training will go faster if I know and I kind of got the feeling I should know before training.  Thoughts, advice?

It would be a plus if you are already sticking yourself, but if not, you still have time to learn. Even during training. If your fistula is mature, I would suggest creating a set of buttonholes.  Once established, they are much easier to stick and it doesnt hurt for most people.  Also, stay away from high blood flows - anything over 400.  Slower longer dialysis is the way to go as it will remove more toxins such as phosporus and other middle molecules.  The blood can only hold a certain amount of the toxins/fluid in the bloodstream at any given time. Therefore the speed you are running doesnt mean you are going to remove the toxins faster. The body has to have a chance to equilibrate the toxins into the bloodstream again as they must move from the tissues - cells - bloodstream.  Time  and lower flows is critical as you will not put stress on your fistula/veins/arteries and even your heart.

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook