I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Double Transplants, anyone? Kidney and Liver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Double Transplants, anyone? Kidney and Liver  (Read 1615 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: December 06, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »

Has anyone out there had a liver and a kidney transplant?  What was that like? 
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

Oh, I would like to know, too, because my daughter has polycystic disease of both her kidneys and liver.... :'( :'( :'(

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

Not me, but I have had internet conversations with people who have had both so I do know that such people exist and can do well after the fact. Also, the immunosuppressant regimen for liver can cause kidney failure, so I knew of a liver recipient who seemed resigned to the fact that his kidneys were going to fail.

The liver is an incredible organ, actually. It regenerates, so they now have it reasonably sussed so that people can be live liver donors, and apparently the part of their liver that is donated will grow back within days. (!!!!!) I have to wonder if this means that someone could be a serial donor. (Though I have to think they would question such a person's sanity after a while.) Also, liver patients can more easily come off the meds. For some reason, liver recipients often develop tolerance quickly and easily.

If you google 'transplant support group' you will find people out there who are more than willing to share their experiences with you and give you all the advice you could hope for. However, if you are like me, you will find the advice not as real as on IHD, for lack of a better word. I have found transplant support group members will quickly dismiss other recipients as ungrateful (and by implication unworthy) if you dare question the ethics of this process. Obviously, I was not going to last long in such an environment. So here I am! :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »