I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Getting a transplant. My first.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting a transplant. My first.  (Read 2521 times)
ARCB

« on: January 21, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »

Don t know what to really say. I'm getting my first transplant Feb 2 nd and Im super scared and feeling confused as I thought I'd be more excited as Iv  been waiting 7 years for this.  My husband is donating his so that I can receive one. Mixed emotions about that to.  I'm sure I'll deal as well as can be expected with the surgery but emotionally not so certain. I also worry about the med side effects. Any input would be helpful, I think the people around me maybe getting tired of me worrying aloud to them. I'm certainly getting tired of hearing the generic answer of 'oh everything will work out, itll be fine'. But I guess they may be reassuring themselves at the same time. Well it's 3:00am still up thinking about stuff and reading old posts and finally decided I would post to. Thanks for listening.
Alisa

Alport Syndrome 1992
ESRD- 2005
PD -10 hours daily 2005-2012
Transplant Feb 2nd 2012.
justme15

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »

Your feelings are to be expected.  this surgery is no small undertaking!
The side effect that affected me most in the beginning was weight gain, and now diarrhea.  However I have always had weight problems, so the meds just made it even more difficult to lose weight.  Right after your transplant you may be on higher dosages of the immunosuppressants, once they taper them down and  you get on a lower dosage the side effects lessen in severity and may even go away.  So, after the first year or so I was able to lose weight and live a very normal life!
The diarrhea was a late onset affect of the cellcept. they have had to adjust my dosage of that to keep the diarrhea under control.
I don't know what to say about your husband donating and the emotional issues that come with that, except that I understand. It is very overwhelming, exciting, and terrifying at the same when you think about what he will be doing for you.  Yay to your husband!  What concerns do you have specifically about your husband donating?
sparklelady

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

Living donors ROCK!!!! My brother donated to me a year ago. He is doing very well. In fact, we had surgery on 1/3/11 and he was on a plane 1 month later to go to the Super Bowl in Dallas!!
Your concerns are valid. I did not have side effects, I guess I was lucky. I take Prograf and generic cellcept. Never had to take prednisone as my hospital has a steroid free protocol.
I had a little constipation after surgery, but that is normal with the anesthesiia. They gave me Senna and Colace. I only took 1 dose of each and was fine after that.
I know you are worried about your husband. You should be very proud of him. What a truly selfless and wonderful gift he is giving not only to you, but to someone else!!
I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:21:39 AM »

Alisa,

Your concerns are certainly normal. We are almost 1 year post transplant (Feb 3, 2011). At first the meds ARE rather high with associated side effects. Carl had some buzziness and hairiness. His face filled out (chipmunk cheeks), but fortunately no weight gain (except he could have benefited from that!)

As they lowered the dosage of everything it is all good, except he still has the chipmunk cheeks.  :rofl;

I tried to donate to him, but "failed" my urine tests. So I truly understand why your husband is doing this. And of course you are concerned him! He is going through major surgery, after all! There is always some risk and you would be foolish not to take that into consideration!

On the other hand, kidney transplant has become somewhat routine.

Worry is debilitating. So in the last few days running up to this life-changing event, try to look at all the good things that will come of this. Your hubby and you will have a greater bond, and your quality of life will improve.

Hugs to you dear lady. This is truly a wonderful thing and your husband gets eternal gratitude from the rest of the kidney community!

:grouphug;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
coravh

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

All your worries are completely normal. My cousin gave me a kidney over 9 years ago. It was a difficult surgery and took an extra 4 hours. And yet, despite that, 2 days after the surgery my Mom found her doubled over in the bathroom sink washing her hair. She has been fine every since. As for the drugs, try not to worry too much about those either. There can be some side effects. Some of these, if you get them (and not everyone does) are treatable with other meds. If you have significant problems, they can switch the drugs for others. There are older and newer drugs and quite a few to choose from. The docs will find a combination that works well for you. After all, the goal is for you to have as normal a life as possible after the surgery and getting on a good drug regime is part of that.

Cora
carol1987

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »

Alisa,

I was in your position just over one year ago. January 6, 2011 my husband donated on my behalf and I received a kidney from an altruistic donor in a transplant chain.

In the weeks before the transplant I had such mixed emotions... I  was afraid that after the transplant the meds would make me sick. I was afraid I would end up worse off than on dialysis.  I was really afraid for my husband and was asking him over and over if he was sure he wanted to do this. (if i had known my donor I would have been asking them he same..LOL)

Our surgeries went fine... my creatnine started dropping immediately and I felt better right away!    I still cannot believe how wonderful I feel.   

:grouphug; and know that what you are feeling is normal!
Good Luck with your surgery!!

Carol

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »

Again I will reiterate what others have said...it's okay to be scared! I have had to transplants one in 1999 and the other in 2011. The surgery and medication adjustment was a lot easier the second time around! I had more side effects from the first transplant meds then I did the second time around. I don't think they are using as high as dosages any longer and taper the meds pretty quickly as well. I was out of the hospital in 4 days and my living donor was out in 3. We had the surgery at the end of June and were both back to work near the end of August. (Me only part time though...by September I had/have 2 part time jobs) He is doing well and so am I!

The only thing that was initially annoying after surgery was the stint they put in the ureter connected to the bladder. It was really irritating the kidney but once they removed it I felt really great! And removing the stint was no big deal at all. I was fully awake and they pulled it out in 30 seconds...no pain!

good luck!
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
ARCB

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for responding it sure is nice to know that there are people out there who can relate. As for the husband questions. I guess I am most worried for his safety. I couldn't have anything bad happen to him. He is my life. Secondly I worry about his hospital stay, he has never ever been in the hospital and only had an Iv once for testing. So I don't want him to hurt I guess I'm trying to say. Realistically I know that he'll do fine. He is a very strong person both mentally and physically. An officer in the army. But I feel indebted to him and I hate that feeling but I guess those are my own issues to deal with.
Side effects eh, I guess I'll have to Deal with them. Hope it's not the weight gain or chip monk cheeks as I am trying to lose weight as it is. I can't remember what it feels like to be well or what normal is like. How will I know when I get there?  So many thought racing ideas.  But not a lot of time to write I ll catch you all later.
Alisa

Alport Syndrome 1992
ESRD- 2005
PD -10 hours daily 2005-2012
Transplant Feb 2nd 2012.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »

ALRIGHT tomorrow is the big day!!!!    :yahoo;  right?  Good luck to you and the hubs!!!!  Keep us posted!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »