I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Need help to know the rigth questions to ask.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help to know the rigth questions to ask.  (Read 1582 times)
mommak

« on: November 27, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »

Since Mike is still in the hospital, they are running labs almost every day. Since he is inpatient, they dont give him number results, but I know that there has to be a number that will show that his kidneys are responding to Dialysis.  What information do I want them to give me out of his labs.  He is still having less than 100cc of urine output even on his off dialysis days, however the nurses told me that the dialysis will impact that number too. 
What lab sign will be the ray of sunshine that says that this acute incident is resolving.  after that what will be the information that will show if there is residual damage?
Thanks for any help you can offer
Restorer

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »

Dialysis doesn't help kidneys work better - it replaces some of their function. The best sign that his kidneys are getting better is when they start to produce more urine. Then they can test the urine and make sure he's eliminating all the waste he's supposed to. At that point, his 24-hour creatinine clearance will be the number that will best indicate his kidney function.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:39:27 PM »

What are they saying actually took out Mike's kidneys? Restorer is right that for kidney function the first step is to see a return of output and then to test the pee to see if the kidney's are leaving in what they should leave in and taking out what they should remove.

Right now I'd want to know what his white blood cell count is and would be looking for that to get back below 10,000, suggesting the sepsis is being treated.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
mommak

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:54 AM »

I spoke to his nurse today.  Yesterday he had a little less than 100 ml of urine output.  His labs this morning show creatinine of 12.0 and Bun of 28.  I know those are both elevated, but I dont really understand what they mean.  His blood cultures form last week have shown that their was no more bacteria in his blood, although they just ran a new set on Saturday because he was running a low grade fever again. 

I feel sort of out of my element here, there is so much information on the internet, some good and some bad, I know that my situation is different with him having ARF, but you all have lived through these labs for so long.  I am so grateful to be able to come to you all for some help.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »