I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:33:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  No fistulagram for me
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No fistulagram for me  (Read 1529 times)
JeanieSpokane

« on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »

My nurses and techs kept suggesting that I have a fistulagram to see why I have to hold so long.  I kept researching the procedure and checking in here at IHD, and felt very strongly that I should NOT have a fistulagram - for one thing, I am doing buttonholes that are relatively new and just established.  I settled to have an ultrasound of my fistula arm and my surgeon (a vascular surgeon who established my fistula) said that my fistula is GREAT and it is not necessary to have a fistulagram.  Some patients at my center routinely have one done every three months.  Yikes!  Anyway - I was relieved and am happy to hold my 20 minutes.  What I did do, from suggestions at IHD, is request that my Heparin be lowered.  After 2 or 3 steps, it is now shut off 2 hours prior to the end of my run - and that seems to have helped a bunch.  (I probably don't even need the Hep - but think the 1.5 hour drip is tolerable and working.)

Jeanie
Started dialysis 9/30/2009
Started buttonhole 5/5/2011
Go to garage sales, pile stuff from garage sales to make room for more stuff from garage sales, read books (from garage sales); plan to return same to any garage sale of my choice all at once.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »

Knowledge is power! It sounds like you have held your own and been a great advocate for better care! Whoop!!!!!

I know you must feel incredibly empowered! Congratulations!!!!!!

:2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »