I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 09:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Fresenius "Liberty" machine SUCKS!!! (and so does Fresenius)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fresenius "Liberty" machine SUCKS!!! (and so does Fresenius)  (Read 14753 times)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

We ae sooooo happy with nxStage, and yes, it's done wonders for him. 

and,,,,,,great idea JLM...  do you 'make' it with a juice or?  I made him a mini drink with berries and protien yesterday.. I didnt give it to him cause i didnt want to scare him off..lol  it was yucky.  It was an egg white protien,,think i'll go get someore of the 'other' and try again... thanks :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
JLM

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »

We are sooooo happy with nxStage, and yes, it's done wonders for him. 

and,,,,,,great idea JLM...  do you 'make' it with a juice or?  I made him a mini drink with berries and protien yesterday.. I didnt give it to him cause i didnt want to scare him off..lol  it was yucky.  It was an egg white protien,,think i'll go get someore of the 'other' and try again... thanks :)

I just use Boost with protein or any of the branded kind  I drank the first Nepho sample (UCK) and tried the freezing method with the other samples I got from the dietitian.  Twas easier to take.  Mayhaps it was the flavor of the first that was so bad.  Way too costly for me.

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

Thanks  :2thumbsup;  Sounds like 'boost' will be on our list to try since the both of you are ok with it  ;D

kporter85db

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 01:29:53 AM »

I just gotta say that I love my Fresenius clinic and staff. I have had some issues with machines but they are all resolved now. I have had no problems with air bubbles, well, I did get an air bubble one time but that was my fault. But you do have to stand firm and make sure you get the level of care that you want sometimes.

I also understand that if these companies did not make a profit, they would not be around to provide me with dialysis services. Yes, they do need to provide comprehensive and quality care but the are also entitled to make a profit. That's their motive and reward for staying in business.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »

awwww, back on subject ken  ;)  Im glad you added what ya added.  It's always (to me) good to hear another side of things.. Glad your experience is better :)

fearless

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

thank you again one and all for all your posts and comments.
I too trust and even admire the staff at my Fresenius clinic.  And i think the fact that I've been with them for eight years and haven't complained about much if anything, shows that this is not unreasonable anger from me.  I just don't like being put through pain and physical struggle for the sake of a corporation's profits, and, sorry, but that's exactly what it started to feel like.
Now that I'm on hemo, i have a new set of challenges to adjust to and the memory of what a huge hassle and burden my PD had turned into is fading.  But it's still important for me to post my experiences with Fresenius "Liberty" because it absolutely is the case that if patients are all struggling with the same problems, but don't have a good way to communicate with each other, that allows the corporation to deceive the patients into thinking their problems are unique and not common, or are caused by the patient him or herself.  So, kudos to this web site for allowing that communication.  And thanks to the ladies here who are making me look forward to getting stable on hemo and then moving to NxtStage  :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

Fearless, we have done both PD & Home Hemo, and for us, hemo seems to be working much better. Now Im not saying PD wasn't a good modality, because it was, but IMHO I feel that he gets much better fluid & cleansing with NxStage.
When we did PD, we were constantly worrying about Infections, because as a Diabetic, he is more at risk (ESRD is too) for infections. You get the two combined, its like a double whamy.

Now, I never really thought that I could do Hemo on him at home, that is true.  I think because of it being systemic (actual Blood) it really was a frightening thing to my mind.  And had I not trained to do PD on him at home, I probably never would have taken on this endeavor!  But God is good, in that he gave me the courage to try it and here we are!  I now wish I had done this back when he was diagnosed, although Home hemo was never a given option, he might not would have gone through all the stuff he has gone through.  Hind site 20/20, who knows what may have been?

We are thrilled beyond belief with this NxStage!  It has given us some symblance of our life back. PD was good, and to some point, I believe it could be made better.  Lighten the weight of those bags for one.  Maybe come up with a system like PureFlow, where you can mix Dextrose with water and have a supply of solution for a few days!  Allow the patient to set their own parameters and time, just to name a few.

I really believe you will come to like NxStage, Fearless.  It is alot to learn but fairly easy to do once you learn. 
I can't wait till you start and so eager to help in any way that I and others doing it, can!

Thanks for allowing us to "invade" your thread.  Mighty big of you!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:13:49 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
fearless

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

I don't think I could view anybody's comments or conversation here as "invasion" - if anything, it's others being willing to have their conversations invaded!
Sincere thanks for your offer of future counsel - i know I will need it!
I live with my sister, who has said she is eager to be my help mate for home hemo, but i don't know if she really has any idea what's involved (I really don't yet either, but based on in-clinic, i know it's not simple) 

thank you for your encouragement.  I know I will make it work somehow, and yours and others' comments give me confidence and hope too!
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »

That would be great if she could do that!  I think all they want is for those who are doing it, have a backup in case of emergency.  Plus, it may make her appreciate the "real" struggle of this disease!  It is "UNRELENTING", as you know all too well.

Take care & God Bless,
lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
The_Vincester

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »

I have no problem with Fresenius - the care I receive is good, but the Liberty I could do without. I'm on my 3rd unit (in 6 months) and this one is now having issues too. On the 2nd fill on it sounds like its pushing out air - very loudly. If I sit up or squeeze my stomache muscles, the noise goes away. It's too loud to sleep through and I can't figure out what it is. Dumb machine.
fearless

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »

The Vincester:  One of the machines I had made an AWFUL loud sound every so often throughout the night.  it sounded like a jackhammer!  That was the one they sent to replace the one that kept filling me with club soda.  But it also produced club soda, so i sent it back because at least the first one was quiet.  I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of those bubbles - and when the nurse at the clinic had me sit down with her at the machine they use to train in the clinic - guess what?  Bubbles!  She said she just had never noticed them, but there was no further discussion.  What can she do?  If Fresenius feels that patients ought to be satisfied with that, then who can change it?
Right now I have MANY other battles to fight and will try to communicate with the company when I am feeling better and more stable physically.  I believe they would want to improve their machine if enough people report the problem, and let them know that patients talk with each other.
But as i said, there were other drawbacks to that machine - the only drain you can do on-the-fly is a complete "Stat" drain, the set-up time is too long, and it's too big and heavy for an average woman to transport.  There's no need for that, as the comparable Baxter machine is smaller, lighter, and allows manual drain at any time, for any amount.

Thanks again everyone!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »