I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 04:29:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What kind of home do you live in and what kind of dialysis do you do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What kind of home do you live in and what kind of dialysis do you do?  (Read 2426 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: November 12, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »

Well,
 Im getting married in December and moving to Ft. Campbell, Ky. THe waitlist to get family housing on base is 6-8 months. And once my soldier is married he has 30 days to get out of the barricks. So my fiance is looking for a place to live. A house is too expensive, so we are getting an apartment. The one that is by his base that he wants is a two bedroom town home that is 970 sqft.
 Since we cannot afford to rent a house, we need to go to an apartment. This apartment I have actually only seen online through a tour. THye have floorplans too. Each bedroom actually has a walk-in closet. Outside the apartment there is actually a storage closet/unit, well for his gear.

this is the apartment that we are going to be living in. THe two bedroom one.
http://gwaltneyproperties.com/commercial/default.aspx

So, I was wondering to those on dilaysis, is your housing a reason why you chose hemo? and those on PD, where do you put your supplies??

I am a little concerned. Because when my mom and I moved earlier this year, i made a point that we not get a house unless it has a basement, an attached garage, or a 4th bedroom (i room for each of us, and the 4th room for dialysis supplies), but with two rooms (even though they have walk-in closets). I dont know where my supplies are going to go. With my own full size bed, I used to have to empty out 12 boxes to go on the cycler, in the under the bed containers. At this time I was getting delivery every two weeks. I dont know how often a dialysis center there will allow for delivery....
 I am partially lucky that I only have 2 5L bags that go on the cycler, but will need room for the middays, and box for cassettes, and then drainlines.

thanks,
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »

Congratulations on your pending marriage and move to Kentucky!  I haven't much advice on where to store your pd supplies other than perhaps suggesting you have someone build some sort of "captain's bed" or loft so you can put all of your boxes of solution under the bed (?) to save on space.  Good luck with your move!

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

Congrats!

Hope everything goes well for your weddingand your move, I just moved in the spring, and I'm still trying to get settled! LOL     :P

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »

oh Lillupie, im so happy for you.  I LOVE your new home and it's going to be so good for you.  And thank and hug that soldier of yours for me.  They deserve so much.  And....... i really dont have suggestions for you on supplies but i know imunch has done both and hopfully will see this and give ya some help in that dept :)  Wishig you the best in your new life.  Im excited  :2thumbsup;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »

I said my next move.... I am ONLY going to move someplace where I can have my OWN in house treatment room!!!!!!!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
dyann

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

All I can tell you is when I went on home dialysis they came out to look at the house to see where I would be putting my supplies and how they would be stored,  I have to big entry closets and I use one of them and part of the masterbedroom walkin, but truth be told I get so much that I also have some in my main living room because I have no other place to put them.  after the first visit they have never check again,
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »

I live in a small, 2nd floor apartment, and I do NxStage (you should have seen us getting that machine up the stairs when I moved in  :banghead;) It doesn't look very attractive, but I stack my supplies up against one wall right in the living room, which is primarily my dialysis room. I do run into problems with space, but for me it beats the alternative (in-centre).

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Desert Dancer

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »

We live in a Craftsman bungalow built in 1930. It has two bedrooms - the second one was an addition - that are connected to each other. I store all my supplies just the other side of the wall from the master bedroom; it's almost like having the supplies right there in the same room.

There's only one tiny closet in the whole place (ya gotta love old houses!) and that is where the RO system is installed. We call it 'The RO Room'.

We'll be house hunting within the next six months and are going to look for something a little bigger. Our current house is about 825 s.f. and we're looking in the 1200 - 1700 s.f. range. It feels funny to complain about not having enough room when we spent 6.5 years living in 300 square feet!

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
daveosaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »

I do in center hemo. Would rather do home pd. I have a 2 bedroom apartment with all the usual fittings, walls floors, roaches that I constantly spray for. The only good thing is it's $440 / month. At least they don't charge me a pet fee for the roaches!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »

I have to wonder how much supplies you get, as opposed to what you actually use.

When I was on PD, my brother and I lived in a small, 2 bedroom basement apartment.  We were able to fit all of my supplies for the month in a hall closet, with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 boxes of dineal, the box of cycler sets (cuz it's huge) and a couple boxes of caps.  Except for the boxes of caps (they were under my bed cuz I used them) the few extra boxes were lined up against a wall in my bedroom.

The first order you get, there's a crapload of stuff, because they give you everything.  After that, we'd call and order only what we needed for the month.  My mom did that.  She was amazing.  She was able to keep track of it.  I've no idea how she did it

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »