I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Final test for transplant and i'm scared
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final test for transplant and i'm scared  (Read 2130 times)
PaDude

« on: November 13, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

I've taken all the transplant center test, from stress test through colonoscopy and have pased all with flying colors.  Now, because the cardiologist heard a wheeze in my lungs, i gave to go for a pulmonary finction test.  Having been a smoker who quit only a few short months ago i'm worried that a failure on the PFT will put an end to my hope of a transplant.  I should add that the wheeze the cardio heard was probably from my allergy which was acting up and i was not medicating.  Oh, and i've neveer had shortness of breath or any other breathing related issues.

Has anybody else been in this position and help tell me what to expect?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »

I've not heard of the test, what exactly they going to do? I don't understand.

Hope it goes well and doesn't intefere with a possible transplant     :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

I've not had that one..... amazing... I thought I'd had them all.

Just do it.  Get it over with.  That is all you can do.  Let us know what they do.

:pray;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »

Did they say if the pulmonary test requires injected dye? Be careful if that's the case.
Hopefully they are just being cautious and you'll come through just fine. good luck!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
PaDude

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

Did some digging and found it it's being required by my HMO.  Seems they want it to see how long i'll need a ventilator after the possible transplant ( i have a few friends and relatives who are possibles - won't test them until i'm on the list).  Still nervous not knowing what to expect and if the test can end my hopes for a transplant.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

I think it's important to understand certain things about the pre-tx testing process.  They don't put you through these tests with the sole view of excluding you from the list.  Obviously, if they find you have cancer or if you have something that they feel will kill you during surgery, then you won't be listed.  If they find something that puts your health in danger, then they will want you to have it treated/cured so that THEN you can be listed.  But also, they want to know if you will need any special support during surgery so that they can provide it.  If they are made aware through the testing procedure that you have some respiratory problem that might be exacerbated by a particular anesthetic, for example, then they will want to know that so that they can avoid this particular drug.  So, it's not that they are looking for ways to prevent you from being listed, rather, they want to know if you may have any special need they need to address before you are subjected to the trauma of surgery and the post-tx drug protocol.

Maybe this link will give you some reassurance..

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003853.htm

Let us know for when your test is scheduled.  I think that perhaps you can feel a little reassurance knowing it was your HMO and not your doctor who is recommending this test.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »