I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2024, 12:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula and Numbness Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula and Numbness Question  (Read 2591 times)
amyquah

« on: November 13, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »

:embarassed:  I just came home from Dialysis after a 4 hour session in my local dialysis center.  I have a couple of questions - 1st, about a week ago I had a new tech that infiltrated my vein - it was huge and sore by the time I got home. The bruising is almost gone now, but in it's place is a small hard nodule the size of a pea. It "burnt" while I was on the machine tonight. One of the Nephrologist's (not mine) said I need to get an ultrasound next week, that maybe it was a calcium buildup.  Has this happened to anyone??
Also, my pinkie on my fistula side is numb, happened during dialysis - I thought it would get better, but still hasn't - this happen to anyone?

Thanks!!

Amy

Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake up and live!
~Bob Marley
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:22:19 AM »

I hope it goes away.       :cuddle;    Honestly, I'm worried about numbness and tingling.  I have nerve damage issues in my feet and my shoulder for the last year and I'm dreading getting a fistula for that risk     :(

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »

it very well be a combonation of the excess blood that origanlly pooled, still has some accumulaion, and/ or the fact that our bodies with certain injuries can form a "scar tissue". I wouls ay the ultrasound is a good idea to be safe for sure. I also wonder about the pinky. Make sure you tell that to the radio tech also. Sometimes things we over look can be important on the bigger picture of things. Hope this all clears up for you shortly and evrything ends up being ok

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 08:56:44 AM »

Yes, I would get in to see your vascular surgeon to see what he thinks.

:P

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:40:46 AM »

Amy, I have an upper arm fistula and I get numbness and tingling in my pinky during treatment, too.  Sometimes it goes to my ring finger as well.  I had a fistulagram a couple of weeks ago, and was told as long as this only happens during treatment, then that is okay.  Highly, highly annoying, but okay. The only other times I notice it is if I sleep on it, or hold my hand up for a long time.  Hope this helps!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »