I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  It's just one thing after another
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's just one thing after another  (Read 2988 times)
Annig83

« on: October 10, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »

So I posted for my fellow ladies about issues pretaining to my menstrual issues and happen to say that it's always something, and it hasn't been good.  And of course the minute I post that, something new happens....
So last night I was hooked up for PD and I feel something pull in my abdomen... I felt a large lump behind my belly button...yep you may have guessed it, cause I did- a hernia.  Apparently, after all my abdominal surgeries (including a C-section, and three cath. placements, removals, and adjustments) the pressure from D, caused my tissue to pop through to my belly button.  :::sigh::: :banghead;

Anyone else male or female ever have this happen???

Surgery is scheduled for next week.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »

My sympathies, Annig83 - I know that feeling of dread when ypu give the lump a push and it disappears only to reappear a few minutes later. Although I did discover that while it's 'reducing' the hernia is less of a problem. Mine was just small and was not umbilical or from the cath placement, it just happened. All mended now, after surgery.
All the best and let us know how it goes.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
mcclane

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »

wasn't by the belly button, but i had 2 hernias thanks to pd.  i'll never forget the repair on the 2nd one, as they didn't quite give me enough 'knock out' medicine, so i wound up being almost fully awake for the whole hernia repair. :rofl;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »

Well Crap! It is always something.  Can you still do PD until the surgery or do you have to get a cath placed for hemo?

Sorry this had to happen to you.

>:(

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »

I've never had it happen but I dread it. I'm so sorry it happened to you.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »

Annig that is awful. We all know what it is like "going along tick it e boo"and then shit happens. You have been through so much I hope they get it sorted quickly.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »

Annig...hubby had this happen also, hernia just at the belly button from PD.  So sorry this happened to you...hope the repair goes easy for you. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Annig83

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »

Thanks all.  I can still be on PD.  I will be off of it for a couple days to heal, and gradually work my way back up to my 5000 L bags.  I see my surgeon tomorrow and will find out when surgery is... I assume it's next week.  I'll let you all know :)

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:14 PM »

Oh geez, I've never even heard of this!!  Yikes!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »

Hope all goes well.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:14 AM »

Hi Angie,
 I have had two unbilical hernias. TWO! Ask the surgeron to put a mesh there so you dont get anymore. Do you have to fix it right now? Im only asking because if it doesnt hurt dont fix it. Im only saying this as well because so many surgeries can make your abdominal cavity not work for PD, and then you will be stuck on hemo.
 It totally sucks especially if you have a baby. I think they want you to do a few weeks off of PD when you get the hernia repair surgery. So then you will have to go on hemo. And have a stupid permacath.
 But that is good you want to get it fixed, over and done with. I did too.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Annig83

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »

Hey all, surgery is Thursday this week.  The doctor is putting in a few stitches only because he is afraid mesh will have a higher possibillity of giving me an infection near the catheter.  My nephrologist is all for it, he doesn't want it to get bigger.  It only hurts when I fill at night.
@ Lisa- I've already had my son, and not planning on anymore :)  The doc. said I am low risk for going on hemo at this time.  It's small but very uncomfortable, and my doctors are more concerned about it getting bigger since it's right next to my catheter site.  Thanks for all the concerns!  I am hoping this is the last surgery until a kidney comes my way :)

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
Annig83

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »

Hey all!  Just wanted to let everyone know that surgery went fine, and my hernia is all repaired.  I've been sleeping a lot due to the surgery and pain killers. :(  No infections, and back up to my 5 L just like the neph. wanted  :yahoo;  Hope everyone is well, cause even though I'm a bit sore, I feel much better knowing there's no hole in my belly button now!  :clap;

*~Annie~*
Arnold Bennett

May 2011- CCPD Started
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »

:2thumbsup;   Good to hear  :flower;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 04:42:41 AM »

:yahoo;  I'm happy you are doing better.  I am on my fourth week of dialysis, and I totally relate to "It's just one thing after another."  Everytime I think I have adjusted to dialysis it throws me another curveball. 
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »

Annig83 Good to know you have been "Done" and are recovering. You take it easy now.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »

Great to hear the surgery is over and you are all good  :flower;

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »