I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The monthly blood draws on the list
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The monthly blood draws on the list  (Read 2538 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: October 03, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »

I just had my first monthly blood draw for being on the list. The transplant center sent me a bunch of tubes with mailers and the instructions say to get my blood drawn and then take it to the post office. This is probably a very lame question, but do I have to take it directly to the post office, or do you think it's ok to just get it mailed somehow today - like by dropping it off at work so it goes out with the regular office mail? It's mostly laziness. The post office is a few miles away. Do I have to drive all the way over there?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

You can just drop it in any mailbox.  I personally wouldn't put it in the office mail because it could get lost.  I always just dropped it in the mailbox myself.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »

My local post office is on the way from the lab, so I swing by and dump the box with the vial into one of the drive by post boxes.  But no, it doesn't have to be mailed from an official post office.  But I agree with Bette1; it's maybe best not to mail it from work just because it may get lost.  But there's nothing wrong, per se, with mailing it from work.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »

Thanks Bette and MM! It's still sitting on my desk at the moment. I've had a bunch of meetings today, but I'll get it out and dropped off at a mailbox soon. It's nice to know I don't have to drive to the post office.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »

Jenna has to start doing these monthly draws. When she was on dialysis they were done by the unit so she never had to think about it, so it's a little confusing. There are vials and labels, but there's no lab slip or order. Does she just go to any lab and request a draw? Will she have to pay or will they most likely accept insurance?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »

Jenna has to start doing these monthly draws. When she was on dialysis they were done by the unit so she never had to think about it, so it's a little confusing. There are vials and labels, but there's no lab slip or order. Does she just go to any lab and request a draw? Will she have to pay or will they most likely accept insurance?

I suspect that the procedure you have to go through depends upon which agency collects the specimen.  Here in Chicagoland, it's an outfit called "Gift of Hope."  This is what I do each month; maybe it will be the same for Jenna, but I don't know for sure....

I go to the same lab I go to get my blood drawn for my regular neph appts.  I was told by the transplant clinic that there would probably be a draw fee imposed by the lab and that it would NOT be covered by insurance.  The first time I went to get the sample drawn, I nearly fell over when the lab told me it would be $40 a time!  That's a lot of money, and I was annoyed that I didn't have any choice in the matter.  The phlebotomist thought this was outrageous, and she suggested that I ask my neph to draw up a standing order.  So, after speaking with my neph's nurse, they drew up a standing order, good for 6 months at a time, for testing my electrolytes.  Well, they had to make up something. lol!  So, the neph gets "results" that he doesn't really need, but this way it is covered by my insurance.

You're right...there's no lab slip per se, but there is probably a label that Jenna has to put her name on along with the date of the draw.  She will have to mail it in the box provided within 7 days of the draw,otherwise it will be discarded.

I hope this helps, but if you have other questions, let me know, or you can phone me!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »

I guess I was "lucky" when I was pre-D.  I had to go to the hospital once every other week for Aranesp shots that required blood draws anyway, so I just had them do it with that.  Never was a problem.  Now, of course, I get them done at D.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
BASSMAN

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »

It was a bit of a problem for me.  The lab I normally use flat would not do it so I went to the a local  hospital lab and they did it no problem and also filed it on my insurance which covered it.  I also had to mail them myself.

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

:thx; Thanks. I don't know why they don't give us instructions. A styrofoam box with labels and a shipping address arrived, that's all. They made us take that stupid "listing class' but they neglected to mention this. Oh and they have Jenna listed as "Sex: male." LOL Why am I not surprised??  :sarcasm;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »

I get the same set of instructions with each monthly box.  It is particularly important to fill in the section asking for details of any transfusions you have had in the past month.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »