I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  might be sick
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: might be sick  (Read 3777 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »

its foggy....cold..... and its almost fall..... this morning I woke up with a sore throat.....  fever of just 99 and It taste like I am getting a cold.....  I havnt had a cold in well a couple of years..... I have been wearing my mask.... and using sanitizer.... and staying away from people.... I dont feel really really bad.... but it just taste like a cold.... looking for hot soup for breakfast......  maybe it will all go aways later.... 

Do I need to tell someone.... I hate to make issue with just a cold.... or just a sore throat....  and 99 temp is not a big deal .....right....   usually if or when I get sick I just get busy..... 

Fall..... I love fall...   but its cold and foggy this morning.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »

I am dealing with that too right now. A little bit of a sore throat, cough, and congestion. I am just using Vick's....don't want to go to the hospital...once I get in seems like I can never get back out!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!

xo,
R
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:36:48 PM by rsudock » Logged

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »

Kathy,

Just call your transplant center to give them the heads up.

A few months down the line it won't be such a big deal, but don't take chances this early in your transplant.  :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »

Dear Kathy, I would contact your doctor to have him assess the symptoms. If they don't progress, conservative measures such as increased fluids and rest may be all that is needed. On the other hand, since you are still on steroids, I presume, there are more things that can cause a sore throat than simple colds.

Best bet it to run it past your doctors who know the meds you are on and the different pathogens that can cause these symptoms.

Take care and let us know how you are doing over the next couple of days.

God bless,

Peter

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »

I had similar symptoms (or side effects) my first few months.  Always worried because I don't ever get sore throats. Hydration may be part of it.  Even if we think we are drinking enough, we probably should drink a couple more glasses for good measure.  My temp never got over 99.4,  but we always need to be cautious.   I emailed my coordinator when I found a tick on me!  I like being able to email her.  I don't hesitate to email but I wouldn't always want to call.   

Keep eating soup, drinking and resting   :2thumbsup;     You know we worry. :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 06:32:21 AM »

Gregory says go to the doctor.  Yes.  Get it checked.  It might not be a cold but you don't want to risk your system at this point and you can't rely on your system to battle something off with rest etc just now.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »

I dont have a sore throat any more.... and no fever.....   guess I am not sick.....  and thats a good thing.....  I see my doctors every week....   today is a better day...

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »

:2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

Glad to hear you are well. Never hurts to let your docs know what is going on. With a transplant, there really is no such thing as crying wolf.

God bless,

Peter

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 06:23:12 AM »

I agree. This early into transplant with everything out of whack still little things can cause reactions. I had a few times when I thought I was having something bad and it went away the next day. I still say it is important to get things checked - if only for your own peace of mind - and so the tx team know what's going on. Anything could be important in the right context, there can never be too much info in this respect I think.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »

Maybe it was allergies? Tis the season I'm finding myself

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

Glad you are feeling better!    :thumbup;

lmunch

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »

Are you still feeling better?  I sure hope so!  One of those 49 pills you take each day should be making you rich!! :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
C904

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

I agree. This early into transplant with everything out of whack still little things can cause reactions. I had a few times when I thought I was having something bad and it went away the next day. I still say it is important to get things checked - if only for your own peace of mind - and so the tx team know what's going on. Anything could be important in the right context, there can never be too much info in this respect I think.

I have experienced this a couple of times since transplant and it lasted about a day and next day gone.  Almost like it was a mini flu bug.  Never had a high enough fever to call my transplant doc according to their standards of when to call and it started in early evening and ramped up through the night, but by the morning it was essentially gone.  After reading what you went through and tyefly and what I had I think this may be a common thing.  Possibly we feel it because of the weakened immune system and throughout the day the body is able to recognize it and fight it off right away.  This probably happens all the time for regular people, but with a normal immune system your body fights it so quickly that maybe you don't feel any effects.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »

I have experienced this a couple of times since transplant and it lasted about a day and next day gone.  Almost like it was a mini flu bug.  Never had a high enough fever to call my transplant doc according to their standards of when to call and it started in early evening and ramped up through the night, but by the morning it was essentially gone.  After reading what you went through and tyefly and what I had I think this may be a common thing.  Possibly we feel it because of the weakened immune system and throughout the day the body is able to recognize it and fight it off right away.  This probably happens all the time for regular people, but with a normal immune system your body fights it so quickly that maybe you don't feel any effects.
This is what is known as a subclinical infection.

For every cold that we get, we probably get a couple of other viral infections that our immune system fixes so quickly that we never notice symptoms.  At least we didn't notice symptoms when our immune systems were in good shape.

But now that the meds have reduced the effectiveness of our immune systems, the viral infection can get a little worse to the point that we notice it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »