I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  how long is you appt with your nurse?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how long is you appt with your nurse?  (Read 3504 times)
pitagory

Sorry guys for my spelling and punctuation

« on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »

This week when I went for my monthly lab work my nurse informed me that my appointments where going to be 45 minutes insted of an hour ( not that I want to be there for an hour)  and make sure that when I order my supply form Baxter not to forget anything because it cost extra $100 for them to do an extra delivery. My nurse is so paranoid about this and every time I go I am reminded, to make sure I order every thing I need. yep that's  Davita for ya. :Kit n Stik;

"I dont need easy,  I just need posible"
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »

holy 45 minutes.....
what may I ask takes so long?
my nurse and I go over my labs, the neph pops in says hi, the social worker, and dietitian pop in say hello ask if I have any questions and what not, then I am on my way
I am far to busy to be hanging around that stinky dialysis unit any longer than I really need to be........

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
drgirlfriend

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

The bf has separate appointments for labs and seeing the doctor. I don't know if that's good or bad, but each appointment seems to take about 45 minutes unless we have some issue to address. We do NOT like naggy nurses! One got on my bf's case about something and it was all he could do not to cuss her out. To his credit he did try to explain that he doesn't respond well to that kind of tone. Not sure if she really heard him, but there hasn't been a problem since.

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
JLM

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:08:14 AM »

I, too, have separate appointments for labs and the doctor.  They are a week apart  and I have to drive 60+ miles one way.  The doctor has to have the results before talking to me. 

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

I've never had her tell me how long the appt is supposed to be. We just do what needs to be done and I get the heck out. I also have separate appts with my nurse for labs and such, then another with my Neph a few days late when the labs are back.

And I have had the lecture about short time ordering supplies too. But only once. And I understand their sensitivity to the charge, it can mount up.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 07:32:30 AM »

My  appt  was  always  scheduled  for  an  hour.  But  since  I  had  such  a  boring  case,  labs  always  looked  great,  no  real  problems  except  for  hemoglobin  sometimes  a little   low.   I  was  usually  done  in  20-30 mins.   
 But  I  loved  my  nurses  and  we  always  shared  stories,  so  I  was  there  for  45min-1hr  or  whenever  the  next  patient   came in.

Since I was  doing  so  well, they  always  asked  if  I  would  talk to  other  patients  about  my  experience.    Since  I  loved  sharing  my  PD  journey  experience,  I always  agreed. They had  my  permission to  give  my  number  out.   Or  they  would  ask  other  patients   if they  could  give  me  theirs.   
It  sure  was  nice  to  hear  how  "remember  the  patient  you  spoke  to?  he/she  just  had    transplant."  or  "He/she  is  now  doing  great."

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »

it appears after reading on here that my unit is the exception  :2thumbsup;

I was givin the choice to meet my neph in his office every 4 months (when doiing in-center hemo) and then see him 3 times a week at dialysis for a few short minutes
but then I went to PD I was TOLD that I would see him at my clinic visit with my nurse and that if I really wanted to keep my every 4 month appt. in his office then I can, but I did not need to!!
My nurse told me that they schedule everything on one day b/c PD is suppose to free up your time away from the center so....... I guess I am lucky in that aspect (that I only have to make the trip once a month)  :bow;  I think it makes alot of sense especially if you have a long drive to get to your center...... I would advocate for this if you do not already have this option!!!!!!! 
any time that I am not there is just fine with me!!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »

When  I  started  PD  they  did  blood  work  and  clinic  visit  apt. the  same  day.     Nurse  would  then  call me   with  blood  work  results.    I  would  go  see  my neph   at her  office  a  week  later.

My  neph is  one  of the  busiest  Drs,  she  has  her own  practice,   oversees  two  dialysis units  and  is  Co-medical  director of the  hospital.                 
On my  appt.  days  I  sometimes had  to  sit there  for  over  two  hours  to  see  her.
Honestly  I  got  fed up  with  it  and  told her  I  had  to  find  a  new  dr  because  this  waiting  was  not  acceptable  for  me.   I  straight  up  told  her  "this  are  2hrs out of  my  life  I  will never  get  back"
I  told her  I  would  find  a  Dr  who  had  more  time  and  didn't  make  me  wait.
She  told  me  "We'll work  something out"
My next  clinic  visit  I  told my  nurses  I  was  planning  on  firing  my  neph  and  I  explained  why.         They  told  me  not  to     because  she's  a great  Dr  (which  I  happen  to  agree),  and they  would  arrange  something  with  her  so  she  would  come  see  me  at  my  clinic  appt.

From  then  on  On  my  clinic  days  they  would  call my  Dr  and  tell her  "Marina  is  here,   we're  reviewing  labs.  We'll be  done  in  20 min"               The  Dr  would  stop  by  unit  to  see  me.

I  agree,  doing  both  appts  in  one  visit is  such a time  saver.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

My husband is on the overnight cycler. Our nurse visits our home twice a month. Once to take bloods and once just to see how we are doing. She is really nice, takes blood pressure both times. We are in the UK and are on line with a renal patient line site,, so once your bloods are taken you just have to look on line to see them the next day. If any thing is untoward the nurse gets in touch. He sees the neph perhaps once every 3 months but if any thing crops up, he just has to go to the unite. Our nurses have meetings with the neph every week so if a patient is not well they discuss it and it gets sorted. We can also speak to some one 24/7 when the nurses go off about 5.o clock we can ring the renal ward and speak to a doctor. I think we are very lucky.
pitagory

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

You guys are lucky I see my nurse 2 times a month once for labs(its takes about 20 to 30 minutes) and the other always with my neph, social worker and nutritionist all at the same time in the same room its  a little embarrassing to me because I have to show my exit site every time I go and everyone is there and it makes me uncomfortable. my nurse talks to me like I'm 5 years old Omg I remember when I was training he jump at me every time I made a mistake. I don't like to ask any questions because every time he make it seem like its my fault  I should know everything already and he rolls his eyes at me. but when he told me my apt cant be more than 45 minutes it like saying don't ask any more questions because I don't have any more time for you.

Atooraya

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »

I typically spend ten to fifteen minutes with the nurse to draw blood. A week later 30 minutes with neph. Vam bam ty mam.
packshortie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:29 PM »

The first couple of times it was only about an hour or 45 minutes but the last time I went it was 2 hours and lets just say they knew I was not happy for being there that long considering I work and am hourly so time is money for me
pitagory

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »

The first couple of times it was only about an hour or 45 minutes but the last time I went it was 2 hours and lets just say they knew I was not happy for being there that long considering I work and am hourly so time is money for me

2 hours wow I cant even be there 1 hour.but I know what you mean I work also and time is money,  but if you tell them somthing thay start with "well your health is more important"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »