I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 11:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Severe allergy to Tums
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Severe allergy to Tums  (Read 4152 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: September 23, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »

My nephrologist last week writes a prescription for me for Tums . I've never taken a Tums in my life, not even for stomach issues. Anyways, I start taking them and after a couple of days I get severely and I mean horribly constpated to the point it felt like I was giving birth to a baby out of my butt. Anyways, I also was getting up like 4/5 times in the night to pee. I normally only ever get up once during the night to pee. I was miserable this past week, not much sleep, having an extremely sore bottom.

I found out I had a severe reaction to the calcium in the Tums. Thank GOD my doctor said I could stop taking them. OMG, I was in so much pain.

Anyone experienced this with Tums? It said on my dispensing sheet from my pharmacy it's a rare, but serious side effect. I couldn't believe it. Anyways, I feel a ton better today!    :flower;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
mcclane

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »

was the tums for the calcium carbonate (phosphate binder) ?

If so, I'd just stick with plain old calcium carbonate tablets.
kamar55

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:34:12 PM »

I was taking Tums for my binder until they raised my calcium too high and was switched to Phoslo. But having to get up 4/5 times a night to pee sounds like a good/bad thing....losing fluid or losing sleep.....

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Willis

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

Tums raised my calcium levels way too high and I had to stop taking them. I'm taking generic calcium acetate instead which has kept my phosphorus levels just right. The pills taste awful though.  >:(

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »

How did you get rid of the side affects? just stopped taking them?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:51:15 AM »

Yeah, like a binder, but I already take 3 renagel.     ::)      ::)   Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm angry today cuz they did a blood work early and I'm so furious!      >:(   Its the weekend and I feel like all I ever do is eat rabbit food, I'm so sick of it!!!!!!!!

Got rid of the side effects by just stopping them although my bottom is still a bit sore. At least I'm not peeing through the night like 4/5 times anymore!

I'm so fed up with this diet, oh god, I'm craving pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     >:(

And, I've been really good this past month, doctor's so worried about my phosphorus when it was ONLY up high one month and that was because I was away in August and ....I cheated on my diet. And, they knew it and I feel like I'm being targeted on the sh*t list. I'm really royally upset about this.    >:(

I guess if they tell me I have to take more Renagel, I'm really gonna feel like telling them where to shove those tablets!!!!!     ::)     :rofl;
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:13:13 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

I hear ya on the diet!

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:50 AM »

Yup, it's very frustrating!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »