I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 11:27:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  If you had a rejection episode, what were your symptoms?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you had a rejection episode, what were your symptoms?  (Read 6421 times)
Sax-O-Trix

« on: September 08, 2011, 07:04:55 PM »

I have to get my first biopsy on Tuesday and I am freaking out.  My creatinine has been bouncing around since day one of the transplant 5 months ago, but has been sticking around 1.7 for the past three weeks.  My baseline has been between 1.25 and 1.4.   My neph is insisting on a biopsy to find out what is going on.  I know of a childhood friend who had a biopsy by my neph back in April and she landed in the hospital for four days because they couldn't control the bleeding.  Luckily, she wasn't in rejection.

I am ready to jump out of my skin.  My only symptom to indicate a problem has been my creatinine level.  What symptoms has anyone else here had in a rejection episode?  I have read that you may get a fever, feel flu-like symptoms, have pain at the transplant sight (I thought a twinge here and there was normal, but maybe that is my other symptom), decreased urine output, weight gain of more than 2-4 lbs. in a short time period and swelling of hands, feet or ankles.  I have had none of the above with the exception of a twinge once in a while at the transplant sight, now I will have them more frequently because I know that pain is a symptom.  Ugh!

The treatments for rejection involve I.V.'s and massive steroids for one type, and a chest with nastier drugs for the other type of rejection.  I am a needle-phobe, that is why I had the transplant to begin with.  The thought of HD just scares the daylights out of me.  I can't even go there in my mind.  I think if I ever end up on HD, I will have to start smoking pot or something to get through the canulations.  Knock me out now...

Any insights on a biopsy or rejection?  What happens if you have to pee while you are laying there with the sandbag on your kidney for 4 hrs.?  The things I think about, lol.

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »

The symptoms you are describing sound more like end stage - when the kidney is no longer working well. In Jenna's case she had no symptoms at all - the first clue we had was her creatinine was bad in a blood test - 4.0! Biopsies can give them an idea if your body is chronically rejecting the kidney and what they need to do if it is. There is a risk of damage from the biopsy, but they usually do not take this risk if they don't believe there is info to be gained. (Although I was scared every time Jenna got one!) Laying flat is important, keeping pressure on your abdomen is too, but they'll let you up for a few moments if necessary. Best of luck to you!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »

My numbers have bounced from .8 to 1.2 on a regular basis for 2 years.  It may not mean a thing.  My doc just figures it's my new normal.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

ESRD Survivor

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »

For me the biopsy was no big deal, very little pain, was asleep through the whole thing.  My only symptom to begin with was my creatin jumped from 2.5 to 3.5, so I was asked to go to the hospital.  I spent 10 days there and came out with a cath on hemo.  That was 14 months ago and I now have a fistula.  I swore I would never ever do hemo, period.  Well pd didn't work, so I had no choice and now have a very nice fistula.  Elma cream has made the fear so much less.

Best of luck, I know how scary it all is.

P.S. go pee before the procedure.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »

Remember    Your creatinine may increase because your out doing more activity than normal...its summer ....have you been more busy..... using muscle.....  any new activities..... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »

I had chronic rejection over the last 5 years with my kidney...near the end before I went on dialysis I was seeing things in my sleep....like cowebs and spiders floating in air, and my abdomen got really big...I never had the typical rejection symptoms....when the kidney finally went kaput I stopped peeing...good luck!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:23:43 AM »

Gregory always has faith in his kidney, and trusts things will work out.  I really recognise your fears, I know what  that's like even though I was worrying about his kidney not mine.  I hope some of Gregory's sanguine attitude can rub off on you so that you get some rest and feel a bit of peace. And hopefully this is a phase.  A kidney-phase.   :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

For me the biopsy was no big deal, very little pain, was asleep through the whole thing. 

Was that biopsy on a native kidney? Jenna was awake for each biopsy on her transplanted kidney.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »

I was awake too on my native

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
C904

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:58:14 PM »

I did not have a rejection, but I did have a biopsy on the transplant kidney less than two months after the transplant.  When this all went down I researched constantly about what was going on, because I just did not get why I was having a biopsy.  My creatinine was at 1.2 for the first month and slowly creeped to 1.4 and 1.5 each time I tested after the first month.  The doc wanted to make sure I was not rejecting and I was worried because their is a small chance that you could damage the kidney during a biopsy and worst case scenario you could lose it. 

I went through with the biopsy and the big difference from the one I had on my native kidney was I had to stay overnight this time and keep urinating in a bottle for them to inspect it.  There was no complications and I went home the next day.  The biopsy showed no rejection, but a little bit of trauma to the kidney that could have happened from harvesting to putting it in my body or could have been from the shock of the meds or some other random thing. 

For the next five months my creatinine stayed 1.4 to 1.5 and one time 1.6, than it dropped back to 1.3 and I just had a 1.2 last time.  So hopefully you are just going through some random blip on the screen and in reality you are doing ok.

I was awake for the biopsy and it was painless and quick, biggest pain was having to stay in bed for eight hours after procedure. 

What I found when I did my research was a ton of centers do biopsies much more frequently than in years past and it looks to be a pretty new trend overall.  The way they are viewing it nowadays is that the minimal risk is worth taking for all the knowledge they can garner from a biopsy.

I don't want to make this post as long as War and Peace, but did they change any of your meds recently?  I am convinced my creatinine went back down to 1.2 and 1.3 because I recently had my Prograf decreased from 4 in A.M. and 4 in P.M. to 2 in A.M. and 1.5 in P.M.   I had CMV recently and it decreased my appetite and I was taking my Prograf with different eating patterns and they had to decrease it because the levels shot way up because of my changed eating habits.

Good luck to you and I am sure you will be just fine
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »

They gave me some type of relaxation drugs and I went in and out of sleep for the most part.  I don't remember more than a pinch and for me the worst part was being still for awhile.  It really wasn't a bad procedure.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:36 PM »

I have had three biopsies on my transplanted kidney.  Rejection was my constant companion there for awhile.  Being still is the only thing I can say helps things.  It is NOT painful....the site is tender the day after, but I found the procedure painless.
It took them awhile to zero in on the type of rejection I was having...and yes...I had all those nasty treatments, but in the end...
Three years later...after weeks of treatments, my creatnine runs 2.8 ish, my meds are lowered, I work full time and I get to hug my grandkids as often as I want.  Life is good!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »

Getting ready to leave to go to the hospital as I type this...  I am so freaked out I can't even think straight!

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:40 AM »

Good luck sax.   :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

Okay...  "Biopsy" is a misnomer, a kidney biopsy is "biopsies".  Three samples are needed to make sure they have enough specimen to examine.  I survived, I am home and will hopefully have the preliminary results tomorrow.  The creatinine today was 1.6  :stressed;

P.S.  I had to pee in a bedpan about two hrs. after the biopsy (first time for everything!) so they could see if I had blood in my urine or not.  I was not allowed to get up during the 4 hrs. afterwards, but did not have a weight or sandbag on the site. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:34:29 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

CHeatherS

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »

Wow, so glad this is over for you. 

I am only 3 weeks from transplant, so am new to all of this.  Last week my creatinine went from 1.9 to 2.11, and then back down to 2.0.  They were concerned.... but then seem to relax when I got down to 2.   I wonder if not drinking enough water could do that.  I had a lot of diarrhea from the myfortic, and might not have gotten enough replaced. 

I wonder what they would do for me, as I had the transplant here in Seattle Swedish, but live in Anchorage Alaska.  Will I have t take a 5 hour flight back down here?  Hmmmm
C904

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

Okay...  "Biopsy" is a misnomer, a kidney biopsy is "biopsies".  Three samples are needed to make sure they have enough specimen to examine.  I survived, I am home and will hopefully have the preliminary results tomorrow.  The creatinine today was 1.6  :stressed;

P.S.  I had to pee in a bedpan about two hrs. after the biopsy (first time for everything!) so they could see if I had blood in my urine or not.  I was not allowed to get up during the 4 hrs. afterwards, but did not have a weight or sandbag on the site.

That is real good you did not have to stay in the hospital overnight.  Hopefully preliminary comes back ok.
mcclane

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »

when i had my transplant, the rejection episodes caused me to sweat profusely, without any strainous activity.  I remember the first few days after the transplant, I was sweating like crazy.  I got out of the shower in the hospital, and i sweat began to drip.

Turned out it was a rejection episode.
C904

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Wow, so glad this is over for you. 

I am only 3 weeks from transplant, so am new to all of this.  Last week my creatinine went from 1.9 to 2.11, and then back down to 2.0.  They were concerned.... but then seem to relax when I got down to 2.   I wonder if not drinking enough water could do that.  I had a lot of diarrhea from the myfortic, and might not have gotten enough replaced. 

I wonder what they would do for me, as I had the transplant here in Seattle Swedish, but live in Anchorage Alaska.  Will I have t take a 5 hour flight back down here?  Hmmmm

I am not a doctor and I do not play one on TV, but they pounded into me drink tons of water.  I don't know if all centers have the same philosophy about diet, but mine encouraged eating a lot of protein for awhile after the transplant to aid the body in healing and to get the kidney really working and used to its new surroundings.  If you are having diarrhea your body is losing tons of valuable nutrients at a rapid pace and that will put stress on all of your body, if that affects the kidney I am not sure, but one would think probably.

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

I t is rejection...  Cellular, so it's mega steroids via I.V. for the treatment.  I had the first round this afternoon.  I go back for the next two days to have the last two.  Four I.V.'s in one week!   My utmost repect and sympathies to HD patients, I don't know how you do it...

Looking back over the past month, I realize I was sweating like a pig all the time (thought it was the cyclosporine) and had pains in my transplanted kidney side hip area that I just figured were pains in my hip (could have been referred pain from the kidney).  My cellcept had been cut in half to 1000 mgs. (from 2000 mgs) a day after an unidentified infection landed me the hospital for five days at the end of July.  I was told today to go back to 2000 mgs a day of Cellcept.  Will do:)  I hope I don't have to have a repeat "biopies" - once in a lifetime was once too many times for that particluar procedure, thank you!

Hopefully, this three day course of steroids will do the trick :pray; 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:55:55 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

C904

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »

I t is rejection...  Cellular, so it's mega steroids via I.V. for the treatment.  I had the first round this afternoon.  I go back for the next two days to have the last two.  Four I.V.'s in one week!   My utmost repect and sympathies to HD patients, I don't know how you do it...

Looking back over the past month, I realize I was sweating like a pig all the time (thought it was the cyclosporine) and had pains in my transplanted kidney side hip area that I just figured were pains in my hip (could have been referred pain from the kidney).  My cellcept had been cut in half to 1000 mgs. (from 2000 mgs) a day after an unidentified infection landed me the hospital for five days at the end of July.  I was told today to go back to 2000 mgs a day of Cellcept.  Will do:)  I hope I don't have to have a repeat "biopies" - once in a lifetime was once too many times for that particluar procedure, thank you!

Hope the steroids do the trick and just lean on that example Wenchie58 listed above and how she came through it.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

Hope the steroids do the trick.   Biopsies seem to be part of the routine.  I've had 2 so far -- 1 pre and 1 post.  It is the best way to see what the kidney is doing.  My biopsy post transplant showed that the orginal kidney disease is affecting the new kidney (FSGS).  Without that, they wouldn't have that information.  Mine never really hurt.  The 1st one was about 6 years ago and back then it was a 24 hour flat on your back hospital stay.  I was grateful the routine has changed!

Wenchie had good words of wisdom.    :2thumbsup;

Regarding fluids:  I was told to drink 75-100 ounces a day. My creatine is usually around 1.8; 1 year post transplant.  When it goes up, I know I haven't been drinking enough.  1.6 or 1.8 is my normal range now.     Good luck with the steriods and I hope the bumps in the road smooth out soon.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »

hang in there Sax!!! Let these steroids work please!!!  :bow;

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »