I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:32:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Caregivers Don’t Always See the Spirit Diminishing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caregivers Don’t Always See the Spirit Diminishing  (Read 3678 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: September 05, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

Caregivers Don’t Always See the Spirit Diminishing
By JUDITH GROCH
Published: September 5, 2011

As a loved one arrives at the end of life, how do we know when it’s really over?

I don’t mean, when should we act on the knowledge that life is ending — that is an entirely different problem. Rather, when do we grasp, emotionally, where things really stand?

For nine years my husband, Bill, was a dialysis patient. His kidneys had failed. Their microscopic tubules could no longer handle the job of correcting blood chemistries and cleansing Bill’s blood of the toxins and impurities that accumulate from daily living. Three times a week, an ambulette would arrive to take him to the hospital’s dialysis center. Then, while he was hooked up to the lifesaving artificial kidney, four long, boring hours followed during which Bill’s blood made the circuit via tubes from his arm to the dialysis machine and back again.

The machine, with its little blinking lights, was a lifesaving substitute but hardly a match for living kidneys. Once home, Bill, like other patients, usually felt awful, weak and washed out. In fact, dialysis patients literally are washed out. But they have been given a new lease on life, at least for one or two days.

In the early years Bill managed dialysis well, listening to music or watching TV; he handled his work on nondialysis days. He even traveled, arranging dialysis at the cities his work took him to. In the later years, when he became too weak and ill to travel, he lived only by the rhythms of dialysis. The hospital today, free tomorrow. In the last months of his life, Bill often grumbled about the blood cleansing that kept him alive.

As in the case of many dialysis patients, other health problems cropped up. The lack of kidney function already required the unnatural, sudden chemical cleansing of dialysis and cost him the hormonal gifts provided by working kidneys. Other ailments arrived, some affecting his heart. Bill became truly ill. He enjoyed his family, watched basketball, railed against political stupidities and played short sessions of bridge. But the windows were closing. Busy with the many chores involved in caring for a sick person, I did not truly grasp the death of spirit in this proud man.

Bill’s doctors were kind and patient, and cared for him as best they could. But they had a job to do: manage his blood chemistries and other health problems, then move on to the next patient. Bill’s life was slipping away, and I am pretty certain he knew it. We did not talk about it.

Then came a sunlit summer day when, advised by my own doctor to get away for a bit, I left Bill with his faithful aide. With the rest of my family, including my grandson, Zach, I traveled to a horse show at Lake Placid in the Adirondack Mountains. On that brilliant morning, puffy white clouds skittered across the electric blue sky that topped the mountain peaks. I can still see it.

While Zach prepared to compete in an equestrian jumping class, I enjoyed myself wandering around the grassy vendors’ court, lined with shops, pretty hats, fancy belts, shirts and riding gear. The atmosphere was warm and carefree. Visitors and riders strolled by, munching, gossiping and laughing. Beyond, I heard the call announcing the order in which riders were to enter the ring for the next round: “Stacy on deck, Catherine one, Karen two, Ellie three, Zach four.” I still had a few playful minutes before rushing off to watch him.

Suddenly my new cellphone rang. In my world, a ringing phone was rarely good news. Bill’s doctors were on the line. “Please, please,” they urged. “Bill is refusing to go to dialysis. You need to talk to him. He’ll listen to you.”

So there, while the sun glittered, the white clouds danced and children tumbled all around, I got on the phone with Bill and started pleading, then demanding. In a weak voice, Bill said he was not going. He wanted life, but that morning he did not want to go to dialysis. So I got tough and said he absolutely had to go. That was my job as assigned by the doctors. Back and forth we went until finally I prevailed. With his aide’s help, Bill got into his wheelchair and departed with the ambulette driver. I had saved the day. The doctors thanked me, and we hung up.

For a moment, the beautiful spell broken, I stood there shaken: one foot in the world of grass and mountains, the other in the ominous, gray hospital world. Then I put the phone away and headed back to the horse show.

But — and it is a very big but — for years now I have wondered what I had failed to understand that day. Bill was getting cantankerous and didn’t want to do what was right for him. I had to be strong and “stick with the program.” I was the only one who could do it.

What had I missed? Looking back, I didn’t grasp that not only was Bill sick of dialysis, but he was protesting the quality of life it maintained. He never said he did not want to live anymore, but paradoxically he also was suggesting that he no longer had the courage to be a dialysis patient. Although Bill was not talking about giving up and dying, somewhere the spirit in this brave, brilliant man was fading.

I was so close I couldn’t see it.

I do not call myself to task for my lack of understanding. It is probably useful that I didn’t understand, or I would have gotten myself and my family into a dreadful existential tangle. But at least, looking back, it has helped me call a spade a spade and give Bill credit for what he, at least, knew.

In sunlight, under clouds, even in rain, I have returned to Lake Placid many times since that day to watch Zach compete, but I never walk around that patch of grass without hearing Bill on the phone. Beyond stubbornness, my husband was trying to tell me something, but I had missed it.

After that day, there were no more protests. Bill dutifully kept his dialysis appointments until he exited life a few months later, his heart and body having failed. In that sense, he called the shots. No more dialysis.

Judith Groch is a medical editor and writer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/health/views/06cases.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »

:'(   

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
bevvy5

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »

Phew, that is sobering.  Thanks for posting.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »

I can't get this article out of my mind.

It reminds me how much courage it takes to be a dialysis patient.  The loss is so very profound, and it is nearly impossible to explain it to people who may love you and care for you.  I don't know if I have the courage it will take, I really don't.  Giving encouragement is one thing, but I am not sure it is possible to impart true courage.  You have to find it deep in yourself.  I read stories here on IHD of dialysis patients who are non compliant, and I often wonder why.  Is it defiance?  Is it denial?  Is it low self-esteem?  Or is it simply a lack of courage?

I have to wonder why this particular patient wasn't receiving better dialysis.  The author mentions the "unnatural, sudden" qualities of dialysis, and it does make me wonder if more frequent dialysis may have given him a better quality of life and spirit.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »

That is so sad and so true. We as carers have the task of constantly chivvying them on, when all they want to do is "their thing"
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:27:08 PM »

Is it defiance?  Is it denial?  Is it low self-esteem?  Or is it simply a lack of courage?

I do not think its low self esteem, nor do I think its lack of courage.That implies lack of character. I think the thought processes behind non-compliance include denial, and maybe some defiance. I also think people are just different. Dialysis and the ensuing sickness robbed my husband of the things that made him a man in HIS own mind. He wasn't able to cope with those losses, he was too sick to grieve the changes properly. I do not think he wanted to try, not because he was a coward, but because it was futile. He did not think he would ever regain the vitality he once had and he did not want to be less....so some of his non-compliance was a direct result of that. I realize its not the same for everyone, and he may have benefited from different types of dialysis, but he was not open to that- to him the life he was left with was not worth living. I know he waited to go to the doctor too long, and consequently died of a heart attack brought on by pneumonia. I think he was ready to die. I watched him fade for three years. I NEVER gave up hope, and always tried to engage him, and would have done anything for him. But there is truth to that article above. In retrospect, I watched him die long before his body quit. A slow death that I think he welcomed. Its heartbreakingly sad.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »

It was the author herself that felt her husband finally reached the point where he no longer had the courage to be a dialysis patient.  Courage can fade over time, especially by something as life-changing and never ending as dialysis.  Fading courage is not a lack of character.  It's probably more a question of unfathomable fatigue.

I was just asking in general what causes non-compliant behaviour, and I'm thinking that there is no one answer, not even within the same patient.  A patient who is just starting dialysis may be filled with confidence, but that same patient who is much sicker after 5 looooong years of dialysis may have completely different motivations.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
edersham

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »

That is an excellent article which paints a  painfully accurate picture of the dialysis experience for most of us. I just don't see the decision to stop dialysis as having anything to do with lack of courage In fact I see it as quite the opposite when the patient is not doing well on D, has no hope of transplant and has gone from being a provider for their family to a burden on their family. I'm currently 1 1/2 years post transplant and doing well and back to being a provider but if that changes I have exactly zero desire to return to dialysis but that's just me. I think whichever decision a D patient makes takes courage whether they choose to continue D to be with their loved ones or not because of the burden and quality of life considerations. I think the courage starts the moment the neph tells you your going to be on D soon and you get through that without running out of the exam room screaming and never go back. My neph tells me that patients actually do that screaming and running thing more often than you  would think

Ed
mcclane

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »

That is an excellent article which paints a  painfully accurate picture of the dialysis experience for most of us. I just don't see the decision to stop dialysis as having anything to do with lack of courage In fact I see it as quite the opposite when the patient is not doing well on D, has no hope of transplant and has gone from being a provider for their family to a burden on their family. I'm currently 1 1/2 years post transplant and doing well and back to being a provider but if that changes I have exactly zero desire to return to dialysis but that's just me. I think whichever decision a D patient makes takes courage whether they choose to continue D to be with their loved ones or not because of the burden and quality of life considerations. I think the courage starts the moment the neph tells you your going to be on D soon and you get through that without running out of the exam room screaming and never go back. My neph tells me that patients actually do that screaming and running thing more often than you  would think

Ed

I wholeheartedly agree.  I was able to put up with pd, but this hemo is really mentally draining.  The daily grind of setting up the machine, disinfecting the tube hook up site (central line, fistula), getting on, and then sleeping thru the treatment for 6 hours, then getting rudely awoken by the dialysis machine, disinfect, strip the machine, disinfect the machine, gather up the supplies for the next run, .... 

There are days where i want to say 'screw it' and not do one drop of dialysis.  On the other hand, if I should be incapacitated, it would affect alot of people who care about me.

but yeah, this dialysis is mentally draining.  I'm usually in good spirits, but somedays I can feel that good spirit drain away all because of dialysis.  Doctors focus on the physical part (ie. keeping the blood clean, keeping the chemistry in check), but the will to keep going is something they can't prescribe a pill for.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 03:32:06 PM »

The "will to keep on going" may be synonymous with the "courage to keep on going"...I don't want to get bogged down in semantics, but I will agree wholeheartedly with Ed in that "courage" starts the moment you're told that dialysis is in your future.  I was told that SEVEN YEARS AGO, and while I have surprised everyone with my slow decline, I've still had to cope with SEVEN YEARS of having this hanging over my head, and God only knows what kind of "courage" or "will" I will have remaining once I actually have to start.

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »

When I started hemo I was bound and determined to do nocturnal.... I was told that I need to do incenter first and then move to home hemo ( Via Nxstage )  when I ask about nocturnal I was told that maybe later.... month after month....  do daily home hemo was better than in center and did make a difference in my over all out look with dialysis..... but its hard to sit for 4 hours every day.... at least for me ....I have always been one to not sit anyway.....  then when  I did get approval to do nocturnal life changed.....  I felt less restricted and had my whole days free.... Plus I felt normal again ..that is not sick ....really it was the icing on the cake.... hard to explain...but nocturnal was WAY better than short daily.... all I can say is you dont know until you are doing it... I dont think I could of lasted this long if I was going in center..... I would of for sure by now have mental problems and depression so deep that I would hate life....  I know   I am not one to sit..... I have always been active.... so I guess I was lucky again to keep getting closer to optimal dialysis which I consider nocturnal.... I wish more people would go home or at least do in center nocturnal.... so many that I talk to just dont want to deal with it...they just want to do the minimum..... Yes dialysis is not fun....but if you got to do ...do it so that you feel your best..... I cant see how anyone can feel their best while doing in center.......I just do get it....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »