I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 09:27:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Has This Happened To Anyone Else?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has This Happened To Anyone Else?  (Read 3014 times)
lcamanini

« on: September 11, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »

I was in the hospital about a month ago for pleurisy and pneumonia. I noticed when I got back home that I was producing a tiny bit of urine. (I haven't peed more than a few drops a day for at least 2 years.) I didn't think anything of it at first, but every day since then I've produced a little more. During this time they put me on Prednisone for a week, and during that week I quit producing urine again. However, after going off the Prednisone I'm producing yet more urine than before. It's still not much, and I haven't measured it or anything but it's a lot more than I was producing before. I used to go maybe a few drops once a day, and now I'm going multiple times a day with an actual stream. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I get excited every time! I told my nurse about it, and she wants to try to do a 24 hour urine next week. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
The Noob

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »

hey girly, this happens to DH when there are a few days off hemodialysis. he starts to potty again.
we think its the drugs/hemo that pulls off all the fluid. when he was on PD, both attempts, he was still going to potty.
with hemo 3 times a week, nothing.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »

It is possible for kidneys to recover some function.  We've even had a few rare members get back off D, but they are few and far between.  Keep in mind that fluid output isn't the same as toxin removal, so you can have liters of output and still have to have dialysis to clean out the toxins.  But I'd say enjoy every minute of it regardless - it lowers your fluid restrictions and that's always a good thing!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

I went off dialysis for six months when my kidney recovered some function. It dropped again, but I'm having another increase in urine output. It's not as much as last time, and I'm still doing the same amount of dialysis, but we're keeping an eye on it.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »

I was able to recover enough function to urinate but that's it. Right now it's like a normal persons, and they don't pull off fluid, only the minimal which is required to clean the blood.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
lcamanini

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »

I really hope I'm regaining some function, even if it's just enough to let me drink a little extra. It just seems so random. I've been on hemodialysis for 4 1/2 years now, so it seemed weird to me that I would just suddenly start regaining function. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how things go!
daveosaurus

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »

I still go. Mostly on non-dialysis days and sometimes as much as a liter a day. It would be wonderful to regain enough function to stop D but I know how rare that is and am not going to get my hopes up. I'm just going to "go with the flow" (hahaha) and see what happens. Good luck to you.

To stop D, to stop being poked and prodded and lectured by doctors and dieticians and nurses and social workers and other well meaning annoying humanoids who have no clue ... that would be better than winning the lottery. Do we dare even think such thoughts?
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »

I still go. Mostly on non-dialysis days and sometimes as much as a liter a day. It would be wonderful to regain enough function to stop D but I know how rare that is and am not going to get my hopes up. I'm just going to "go with the flow" (hahaha) and see what happens. Good luck to you.

To stop D, to stop being poked and prodded and lectured by doctors and dieticians and nurses and social workers and other well meaning annoying humanoids who have no clue ... that would be better than winning the lottery. Do we dare even think such thoughts?

Unfortunately when I got my six month D break, I still got all the lectures from doctors, nurses etc. I didn't care though, I was just enjoying my time away from that machine, because I knew that I would eventually be back on it.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

I had that happen, but it was only the once.  It actually scared the crap out of me, cuz I hadn't peed in 4 years.  I only had enough that I was wet, but after 4 years of nothing, I was afraid that I had an infection or something.  I never did get a clear answer of what it was

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »

It happened to me when I stopped a medication, but ultimately I had to return to the dreaded HD!  it was seriously worth it though!  Enjoy every single second, irrespective of outcome - it is still in gift!  Good luck, long live urination...!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »