I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Final review for being listed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final review for being listed  (Read 5119 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

My coordinator just called. My file is going for final review on Thursday. She said she'll call me on Friday to confirm I'm officially listed. My sister is confirmed as a match and is starting her required tests to make sure she's healthy enough to donate. I don't know how long it'll all take, but I'm pretty sure she'll pass them.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »

:pray;

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

:cheer:

Fingers crossed!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »

This is great news Deanne!  I'll be thinking really good thoughts for you and your sister.  You are getting closer and closer.  After waiting so long, things could happen fast now.   I'm excited for you.    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »

:clap;

YES!!!!!

:grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rodneyss1

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:49:26 PM »

Great news!!!!  Keep us updated!

Diagnosed with FSGS- 2003
End Stage- December 2010
Dialysis Journey Started- December 2010
Transplant List- December 2010
Living Donor Transplant Non-Related Surgery at St. Vincents (Indianapolis)- September 9, 2011
***Living life like its Golden***
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »

:2thumbsup;

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
malaka

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question that I suspect some here may know the answer to.  I am followed by my nephro since 2009, but he sent me for second opinion to nearby university center where I was seen several times, had a second biopsy, blood testing, etc. Not much to offer, but that nephro said I'd be contacted by transplant team for evaluation as my disease had progressed to Stage 5.   A few weeks passed, so I called them thinking I'd somehow been forgotten.

Here's the reply I got:  we'll submit your information to "financial" and be back in touch with you.  Is this normal, or a kiss off?  Despite being  Stage 5, I'm not on dialysis yet.  Did I jump the gun somehow? 

Finally, assuming "financial" gives me a blessing, what is involved in a transplant evaluation?  I know genetics and they probably want to be sure I could survive any surgery, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Signed,
Puzzled in Michigan
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »

My coordinator just called. My file is going for final review on Thursday. She said she'll call me on Friday to confirm I'm officially listed. My sister is confirmed as a match and is starting her required tests to make sure she's healthy enough to donate. I don't know how long it'll all take, but I'm pretty sure she'll pass them.

I hope all progresses forward Deanne! Jenna's case went before the committee on Wednesday and she got an email yesterday that she was listed. Good luck to your sister!  :2thumbsup;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question that I suspect some here may know the answer to.  I am followed by my nephro since 2009, but he sent me for second opinion to nearby university center where I was seen several times, had a second biopsy, blood testing, etc. Not much to offer, but that nephro said I'd be contacted by transplant team for evaluation as my disease had progressed to Stage 5.   A few weeks passed, so I called them thinking I'd somehow been forgotten.

Here's the reply I got:  we'll submit your information to "financial" and be back in touch with you.  Is this normal, or a kiss off?  Despite being  Stage 5, I'm not on dialysis yet.  Did I jump the gun somehow? 

Finally, assuming "financial" gives me a blessing, what is involved in a transplant evaluation?  I know genetics and they probably want to be sure I could survive any surgery, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Signed,
Puzzled in Michigan

You don't need a referral from you neph to began the evaluation process. Do you know your GFR? If it is below 20 then you qualify to be listed. Many centers review your coverage to see if your insurance company will pay for the testing and transplant. If you are on Medicare it doesn't pay the full amount, and the patient can be liable for part of the cost. I would give them a week or so, then call again and see what the status is. Good luck!

Willis

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »

Thanks.

Signed,
Puzzled in Michigan
Do you have insurance? I didn't before I went on D and I was blown off by the transplant center too. They didn't even have the courtesy to call. When my wife inquired they said if you don't have insurance they wanted $15,000 cash and a $250,000 bond to even look at my application.

Now that I'm on D and have Medicare they are all smiles and called me right away to schedule my first group orientation meeting.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »

What a huge step forward for you!!  I'm thrilled! :yahoo;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »

fantastic!!!!   :2thumbsup;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Fingers crossed for you, Deanne! I'll be following your journey all the way. All the best to you and your star of a sister!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »

hope its all good :thumbup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

Thanks.

Signed,
Puzzled in Michigan
All  TX  centers  need  to  verify   or  get  "financial  clearance"   before they  see you  and/or  continue  with  further  appts.
I  was  told  financial  clearance  usually takes  3-6 weeks.  The  insurance  company  might need  further  info  from  neph  and/or  dialysis  centers  before  they  make  a final  decision  on  whether  to  pay TX  or  not.
I  was  very  lucky  (so  I  was  told  from  finacial  coordinator)  my  insurance  got  back to  her  within   4 days.
I  suppose  in  your  case  it  might  take  longer  for  financial  clearance  due  to  the  fact you're  not  on  dialysis  yet.  Insurance  might  request  ALOT   of  info  from  neph  as  well  as  labs  for up  to the  last  6months  to 1 yr.

Good  luck, I hope you  get  an  answer  soon!!

You don't need a referral from you neph to began the evaluation process. Do you know your GFR? If it is below 20 then you qualify to be listed. Many centers review your coverage to see if your insurance company will pay for the testing and transplant. If you are on Medicare it doesn't pay the full amount, and the patient can be liable for part of the cost. I would give them a week or so, then call again and see what the status is. Good luck!

Carol,
Depending on   insurance,  you  might or  might  not  need  a  referral from  neph  no matter  how  low  GFR is.
My  insurance  required a  referral  before  they  would  authorize  an  evaluation   appt.
Of  course the  TX  center  would  not  see me  either  until they  had   autho  from  insurance.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »

Carol,
Depending on   insurance,  you  might or  might  not  need  a  referral from  neph  no matter  how  low  GFR is.
My  insurance  required a  referral  before  they  would  authorize  an  evaluation   appt.
Of  course the  TX  center  would  not  see me  either  until they  had   autho  from  insurance.

Transplant centers don't REQUIRE referrals. If your insurance does, that's a different matter.
I know many patients who wait for their neph to make the first move, and it really is up to the patient to be proactive to start the process, otherwise they could wait forever.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 10:27:21 PM »

On my transplant center's website, they tell you to call THIS number to set up an appt with their transplant coordinator, so this leads me to believe that centers don't require a referral for an initial evaluation, but bear in mind that the initial evaluation is ever so expensive, especially the lab work.  So, they will TALK to you without a referral, but they certainly won't be doing any surgery on you if they think you have no insurance or other means by which to pay their ungodly charges!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that my center cleared me medically before they presented my case to their financial people.  I remember being in Texas because my mother was dying, and my coordinator called me to tell me that the neph/surgeons cleared me but that they still had to make sure they would be paid (said more delicately than that).  I had to wait only a couple of weeks for that final financial OK.  Ultimately, it's all about the money.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »

My transplant center wouldn't talk to me without a referral from my neph. I called to ask them some general questions in advance and they wouldn't even let me to this. Then after the referral, they reviewed my insurance information before they set up the first evaluation appointment and one of my first meetings with them was to go over financial information again. Part of this was them asking about my post-transplant job plans. Luckily, I have a stable full-time job now and I plan to keep my job, so it was a non-issue, but I could tell from their questions that it would have been a show-stopper.

Deanne

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »

Part of this was them asking about my post-transplant job plans. Luckily, I have a stable full-time job now and I plan to keep my job, so it was a non-issue, but I could tell from their questions that it would have been a show-stopper.

Wait a minute.  I don't understand this.  Were they asking you questions about your post-transplant employment plans because they wanted to make sure you had a way to pay for their services and your meds, or were they asking you these questions because they wanted to make sure you were "valuable" enough to society to warrant a transplant?

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »

Medicare also pays for your transplant so not sure why you're getting so much financial quizzing.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »

Every year they reviewed our financial situation.  Then they would give us a print out of transplant drugs and what our insurance company would pay.   I took it as them getting me ready and that there would be no surprises financially after.   They probably wanted to make sure that after the 36 month mark, you were able to go back to work and have insurance.   I would always keep telling myself that they were working for me not against --- can you imagine getting a transplant and then suddenly find out how much you would pay a month for meds and had no idea that medicare covered 36 months?   

I hope it gets settled and you can get this part behind you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

They asked me about my future work plans because they wanted to know I'd thought about what I would do after the 36-months of Medicare ran out.

Deanne

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:46 PM »

They asked me about my future work plans because they wanted to know I'd thought about what I would do after the 36-months of Medicare ran out.

Ah yes, it's about the money. ::)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »