I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 03:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  AVF surgery scheduled for 9/2 -- tips or tricks????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AVF surgery scheduled for 9/2 -- tips or tricks????  (Read 7522 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: August 24, 2011, 05:41:41 PM »

So I have finally bit the bullet and scheduled my AVF surgery for 9/2.  I am really not looking forward to it because the surgeon is going for my wrist to start.  He said that due to the swelling, etc. I will not be able to type for a few days.  Well, buddy, that's what I do for a living.  Seriously, all I do at my job is attend meetings and conference calls and send emails.  If I can't type or knit (my home relaxation), I'm going to go bat-poo crazy. 

Any tips or tricks to make sure that I get back up to full speed as soon as possible?  Or anyone want to give me one-handed typing lessons??   ;D
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

Elevate, elevate, elevate.  Keep the swelling down as much as possible.  Ask the doc about using cold packs - they may say no, but it's worth asking.  And yes, you will go a bit crazy, but better only going crazy once than having the first one fail and having to start over.  (Been there, done that!)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

can u type one handed?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »

See if the doctor will approve you for a little time off.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

That's what I would do

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »

That's not a problem....we get unlimited sick days at our job, as long as we don't abuse them.  If we are out more than five days in a row, we go on short-term disability at 100% pay. 

I figure I'll take Tuesday, 9/6 off (Monday is a holiday here in the US) and see how it goes.  At that point, it will be 5 days post-surgery. 

Even if I'm off work, I will still be going stark raving mad if I can't knit or type. 

That's what I would do
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

I guess I can....punctuation and capitalization will probably suffer, but oh well.   ::)

can u type one handed?
Willis

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »

I got my AVF in the upper left arm on a Wed morning and I played in a table tennis tournament the next day (I'm right-handed). For me coming off the anesthesia was the worse thing.

A month later (May 2011) I got a PD cath and that still hurts...

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »

For me coming off the anesthesia was the worse thing.

I avoided that. Instead of general anesthesia I had an arm block. The anesthetic effects of the arm block lasted some six or eight hours, so I had no pain at all. For me, the worst part of the procedure was the arm block. It took half an hour for them to get the injections in the right place under my shoulder joint.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:13 PM »

For me coming off the anesthesia was the worse thing.

I avoided that. Instead of general anesthesia I had an arm block. The anesthetic effects of the arm block lasted some six or eight hours, so I had no pain at all. For me, the worst part of the procedure was the arm block. It took half an hour for them to get the injections in the right place under my shoulder joint.

I had the arm block too, but I think they gave me conscious sedation after they got the block, cuz I don't remember seeing or hearing anything that they did.  After I woke up, I kinda forgot what they did, and I moved in such a way that my arm fell into my face, and I didn't realize that it was my arm, because I couldn't feel it.  My mom cracked up laughing at me for about 10 minutes

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Desert Dancer

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

So I have finally bit the bullet and scheduled my AVF surgery for 9/2.  I am really not looking forward to it because the surgeon is going for my wrist to start.  He said that due to the swelling, etc. I will not be able to type for a few days.  Well, buddy, that's what I do for a living.  Seriously, all I do at my job is attend meetings and conference calls and send emails.  If I can't type or knit (my home relaxation), I'm going to go bat-poo crazy. 

This might not necessarily be true. I was typing the day after my AVF surgery. Like willis, coming out of the anesthesia was the worst part for me. It was far less traumatic than I thought it would be.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 02:15:03 AM »

Cattlekid it's not just typing and knitting you can't do. For the first 2 weeks you should not be doing anything at all with your fistula arm. A newly created fistula is a very delicate piece of surgery and can fail if put under any kind of strain. It needs nurturing like your life depends on it for the first few weeks.

For your own sake, and I'm sorry if I sound patronising here, but looking after your new fistula is your main concern not typing and knitting.

Ken
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »

See, this is why I never wanted this damn fistula in the first place.  I refuse to be an invalid.  My mental health is just as important as my physical health.  If I can't function as a normal human being, then what is the point of having the surgery.  I thought it was supposed to help facilitate dialysis, not put me into a state where I can't do for myself.  As much as everyone is harping on me about the permacath, at least it isn't impacting my quality of life on a daily basis. 

These aren't encouraging words, Ken.

Cattlekid it's not just typing and knitting you can't do. For the first 2 weeks you should not be doing anything at all with your fistula arm. A newly created fistula is a very delicate piece of surgery and can fail if put under any kind of strain. It needs nurturing like your life depends on it for the first few weeks.

For your own sake, and I'm sorry if I sound patronising here, but looking after your new fistula is your main concern not typing and knitting.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 05:02:25 AM »

See, this is why I never wanted this damn fistula in the first place.  I refuse to be an invalid.  My mental health is just as important as my physical health.  If I can't function as a normal human being, then what is the point of having the surgery.  I thought it was supposed to help facilitate dialysis, not put me into a state where I can't do for myself.  As much as everyone is harping on me about the permacath, at least it isn't impacting my quality of life on a daily basis. 

These aren't encouraging words, Ken.

As difficult as it is to hear, Ken is right.  Think about what the fistula is...an artery and a vein sewn together..."a delicate piece of surgery".  There are lots of times when the body must be coddled for a bit in order for it to be stronger, you wouldn't go skiing on a broken leg for example.  You also need not be an invalid...whatever that means...I usually view myself or a particular body part as temporarily out of service. 

I feel that the far bigger issue here is the lack of control you might be feeling about what's happening to your body with it's need for dialysis and this fistula is a powerful symbol of that.  You say that "everyone is harping on you about the permacath" which shifts things back to "other" people rather than yourself.  As awful as a fistula might seem right now, the permacath goes straight into your heart, an artificial tube sewn in there, a most unnatural occurrence (although necessary) and one that over longer periods of time could cause very serious damage and infection.
This illness is not easy, none of it, but I think that the best way to manage it is to be informed through our own independent research on top of the medical advice, about what is best in the long run and then take back control by doing everything in our power to keep things working at optimum capacity.  This procedure ought not to put you in a position where you can't do for yourself, but a huge and crucial part of what you CAN do for yourself is protect the baby fistula and continue to care for it so that it lasts a very long time.
ESRD interrupts lives, that's a fact and it isn't pretty.  I'm sorry that it's happening to you and hope that you'll be back typing, knitting and everything else in very short order.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 06:32:23 AM »

Okay, and that's what I was asking about in my original post.  All I got so far as advice other than from jbeany (thank you!) is "sit on your ass and do nothing".  Well that doesn't seem like "taking control", it seems like losing control and becoming dependent.  Of course, I am not going to go out and start weightlifting the day after surgery, but I want to make this fistula as strong as possible as quickly as possible so I can get on with my life.

As difficult as it is to hear, Ken is right.  Think about what the fistula is...an artery and a vein sewn together..."a delicate piece of surgery".  There are lots of times when the body must be coddled for a bit in order for it to be stronger, you wouldn't go skiing on a broken leg for example.  You also need not be an invalid...whatever that means...I usually view myself or a particular body part as temporarily out of service. 

I feel that the far bigger issue here is the lack of control you might be feeling about what's happening to your body with it's need for dialysis and this fistula is a powerful symbol of that.  You say that "everyone is harping on you about the permacath" which shifts things back to "other" people rather than yourself.  As awful as a fistula might seem right now, the permacath goes straight into your heart, an artificial tube sewn in there, a most unnatural occurrence (although necessary) and one that over longer periods of time could cause very serious damage and infection.
This illness is not easy, none of it, but I think that the best way to manage it is to be informed through our own independent research on top of the medical advice, about what is best in the long run and then take back control by doing everything in our power to keep things working at optimum capacity.  This procedure ought not to put you in a position where you can't do for yourself, but a huge and crucial part of what you CAN do for yourself is protect the baby fistula and continue to care for it so that it lasts a very long time.
ESRD interrupts lives, that's a fact and it isn't pretty.  I'm sorry that it's happening to you and hope that you'll be back typing, knitting and everything else in very short order.   :cuddle;
Subeat

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:55 AM »

I think everyone's experience is different with this (and everything else for that matter).  I had my surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow (left, upper arm), and it is still sore.  Nothing like it was of course, but I'm still keeping it propped up on pillows most of the time.  I did one handed typing for the first few days...and probably was less wordy than usual...but I didn't stop altogether. 

I have also struggled with the lack of control issues.  I HATE having to ask my husband or kids to do something I could normally do myself.  Between the permacath and the fistula, I couldn't even wash my own hair at first.  But it gets better, and I have to keep reminding myself it is only temporary but something I have to do.

Hopefully you're experience will be more like others here... quick recovery, little pain...and you will be typing and knitting away in no time.
mcclane

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »

I had my fistula done at the end of april of this year.  I had already taken sick leave from work (to do home hemo training), so that gave me abit of time for it to heal. 

The next day after surgery, I had to show up for hemo training, my left arm was abit sore, but it was ok.  There was abit of swelling, but nothing major.  The surgeon first checked the forearm area, when that didn't work out he moved up to the elbow area to create the fistula.  So I wound up with 2 cuts in the left arm.

The hospital gave me a sheet on how to take care of the arm for the first 6 weeks.  Elevate (to keep the blood flowing), especially when sleeping, I used a pillow to support my left arm when sleeping.  Also, during the first 6 weeks, they said do not lift anything too heavy.  After 6 weeks, to help the fistula mature, they encouraged 'light weight lifting', they suggested using a can of soup and doing bicep curls, or knitting.

I've always believed that exercise helps in healing wounds, so the day after the fistula surgery, i continued with my workouts (no weight training, just cardio).  It really didn't take long for it to heal, and before the 6 weeks period of no heavy lifting (about the 5 week mark) I started up my weight training to mature my fistula.  I began with light weights, then moved on to heavier weights (I tried to do bicep curls practically 5-6 times a week, alternating between light weight but longer reps, and heavy weight, but shorter reps).  In early june, they had me back at the hospital to see how my fistula matured.  It passed with flying colours.

best wishes !  Please keep us up to date on how things went.

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »

Cattlekid a fistula will not make you an invalid, because eventually when it is mature usually about 6 months it will give you freedom. Freedom to shower or bath and swim without worrying about infection and have a body that looks normal without any tubes hanging out. You will be able to do all things you did before except hold anything in your fistula arm which may be more than 22 kilos for example a heavy bag of shopping.

I  had  a hideous PD line hanging out of me for two years and then tessio lines when I went on to haemo. Two years ago I had a fistula done and within six months I could swim at my local pool again without any fear of straining the fistula and this year on my vacation to Majorca Spain I swam every day in the Mediterranean, even did a bit of snorkeling.

I'm sorry to sound severe but but chest lines which you have now are always prone to infection. They go through your heart so any infection could potentially cause fatal consequences. With a fistula there is little chance of infection. Just try and be patient and see the humorous side when for about two weeks  you will have to dress or undress with one hand. It may even surprise you how expert you'll become at it.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is that it's crucial  that you take absolute care of you new fistula while it is maturing. Obey everthing your Doc tells you regarding fistula exercises and things like arm elevation when sleeping and in a short while you'll have a strong and mature fistula. Oh and also you should be able to type after about 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:23:50 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »

I agree with what most other posters have said.  Every person has a different experience with any kind of surgery.  My fistula surgery was probably one of the worst events of my whole life because, as monrein said, it was the first tangible sign that I had kidney failure.  The surgery was my personal Rubicon.  The emotional impact of it was far more problematic than any physical discomfort.  I was so inconsolable that I insisted upon a general anesthetic because I swore to the surgeon that I didn't want to remember a thing about the procedure, so no mere shoulder block for me, thank you very much.

My fistula is in my upper arm, so I don't know if that makes mine more or less fragile than one created at the wrist.  It was created over a year ago, and it never then or now has made me into an "invalid."  Yes, right after surgery, I had to have help with things that were too heavy, but that didn't last for long.  I couldn't get my arm wet for about a week, so I treated myself to visits to the salon to get my hair washed and styled (my stylist gave me a cut rate due to my circumstances), so far from feeling like an invalid, I made sure to pamper myself while I could get away with it!  haha   I asked about special exercises, etc, and my surgeon and neph both just said, "Ignore it."  And I did.  No instructions about elevating it or putting ice bags on it or not using it.  As a matter of fact, I was encouraged to use the arm as I normally would within reasonable limits because using the arm increases blood flow and strengthens the vein.  I don't have to use it yet, so perhaps I get away with treating it a bit more cavalierly.  The one thing I do make sure not to do is to hang heavy shopping bags on my elbow. 

This surgery is pretty much like any other surgery where there is a wound involved.  You just have to look after the affected limb just like you'd have to look after any arm or leg that has had a repair.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:32 AM »

I guess I can....punctuation and capitalization will probably suffer, but oh well.   ::)

can u type one handed?

ive had to do this a few times in my life, so i have had practice lol practice now and see if u can do it.

i had terrible experience with my fistula, ended up having 14 proceedures/ surgeries to correct before it could be used...
i hope urs goes smoothly and good luck!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
mcclane

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »

Cattlekid a fistula will not make you an invalid, because eventually when it is mature usually about 6 months it will give you freedom. Freedom to shower or bath and swim without worrying about infection and have a body that looks normal without any tubes hanging out. You will be able to do all things you did before except hold anything in your fistula arm which may be more than 22 kilos for example a heavy bag of shopping.

I  had  a hideous PD line hanging out of me for two years and then tessio lines when I went on to haemo. Two years ago I had a fistula done and within six months I could swim at my local pool again without any fear of straining the fistula and this year on my vacation to Majorca Spain I swam every day in the Mediterranean, even did a bit of snorkeling.

I'm sorry to sound severe but but chest lines which you have now are always prone to infection. They go through your heart so any infection could potentially cause fatal consequences. With a fistula there is little chance of infection. Just try and be patient and see the humorous side when for about two weeks  you will have to dress or undress with one hand. It may even surprise you how expert you'll become at it.

At the end of the day all I'm saying is that it's crucial  that you take absolute care of you new fistula while it is maturing. Obey everthing your Doc tells you regarding fistula exercises and things like arm elevation when sleeping and in a short while you'll have a strong and mature fistula. Oh and also you should be able to type after about 4 weeks.

I couldn't agree more.  when i was on pd, i hated having the catheter sticking out of my gut area, i felt it was unsightly and abnormal (it was ok at home, i wasn't uncomfortable taking off my shirt at home with it, but at the gym locker, it was a totally different story).

I still have a CVC stuck in my chest, and I am counting down the days until it is taken out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »