I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The little kidney that could
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The little kidney that could  (Read 2000 times)
coravh

« on: August 18, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »

I haven't posted much the last year or so because I've had so many health problems I haven't been online much. Starting last September I kept having flu-like symptoms and ending up in hospital with vomiting and dehydration (6 hospitalizations between Sept and Feb). In October the resident in the ER tried to put in a femoral line because they couldn't get an iv in. He botched it and I ended up being rushed to the neighboring specialty hospital for emergency surgery on the femoral artery that he damaged. I ended up with a very large incision in my groin that ended up getting infected. I ended up with a vac dressing (vacuum pump dressing) for 4 months and home care 3 times a week changing the dressing. Very painful. In January, I was in for 2 weeks. It started with the vomiting, but ended up with pancreatitis in my transplanted pancreas. During that time they forgot to give me heparin and I ended up full of blood clots. So I am now a thrombosis patient on coumadin. In March I found a small black spot on my toe and after investigating they found I had a couple of blockages in my right leg. Pretty ironic as I never had circulatory problems when I had diabetes, but now that I don't, I have this. So in early July I had a femoral artery bypass surgery. I've had 2 angiograms during all this time too and believe it or not, not even a blip in my kidney function. Right now I am waiting and hoping for the toe to heal. I may still  lose it (the big right toe) but I'm hoping that it will heal. I have always healed well, even when immunosuppressed.

Amazingly enough through all this, both my transplants have been stable like a rock. My kidney function is still at the same baseline I've had for the last 5 years and a glucose tolerance test showed that my new pancreas is working perfectly. I've had a rough year, but I"m one lucky chick when it comes to the health of my transplants and I'm pretty grateful.

Cora
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:47:27 AM »

Sounds like they were ALL unsuccessful in KILLING you.  We have the best health care in the world???  Really??? 

I just cannot believe all you have been through.  I hope you have a clean slate the rest of the year.

Yeah!  For your transplants.  They did something right!   :flower;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »

I am glad to "see" you and really sad you've been through so much!
Best wishes for healing - congrats on the tough organs - I am very glad that's going well!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »

Gotta love when they just keep chugging along like nothing is going wrong with the rest of you, don't you?  Mine are tough like that, too, and thank heavens!

Hope you clear this mud hole soon!   :cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »