I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 02:24:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Getting pressured and don't know what to do...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting pressured and don't know what to do...  (Read 4443 times)
Nameless

« on: August 23, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »

I applied for food stamps today. I feel like crap. I can't do it all on my own anymore. I can't get a job outside of our home and I am getting pressured to work. How do I explain to people that I do have a job...I am caregiver to my family. Both my husband and son are disabled. It is crazy to think I can just go out and work. Maybe I can work the hours that I am not caregiving...anyone know a job that I can do while I sleep (if I get any time to sleep)? Any ideas on what to say? :sos;
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »

K, your decision is yours alone.  It is truly intrusive and unfair for any other person to make a comment, and as for putting pressure on you, I think that is totally horrible.  From what you describe, your obligations on a given day way exceed mine, as do your responsbilities, and I do so-called "work" in the conventional sense of the word. 
If someone asks, or makes pointed references, maybe you could raise your eyebrow in disdain, and say, yes, i work, all the time.  Why?  Do you? And place the stress back on them (where it belongs!)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »

I vote that the next person who tells you to get a job trade places with you for a day!

Seriously, simply tell them that the cost of home care for your family would be more than you could make.  "Oh, a 9 to 5 job - wouldn't that be a lovely break for me?!  Too bad there aren't any out there that would let me get out of the house and pay enough to cover the assistance my husband and son would need while I was gone for the day.  I'm always looking for volunteers though, just so I can have a day to run errands out of the house.  How does your schedule look?"

If that doesn't make them run screaming in the opposite direction, nothing will.

:cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Desert Dancer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:37:51 AM »

I vote that the next person who tells you to get a job trade places with you for a day!

Seriously, simply tell them that the cost of home care for your family would be more than you could make.  "Oh, a 9 to 5 job - wouldn't that be a lovely break for me?!  Too bad there aren't any out there that would let me get out of the house and pay enough to cover the assistance my husband and son would need while I was gone for the day.  I'm always looking for volunteers though, just so I can have a day to run errands out of the house.  How does your schedule look?"

If that doesn't make them run screaming in the opposite direction, nothing will.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »

I tell you, any time I need an advocate, I'm hiring Jbeany! What a way with words!  :rofl; :rofl;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »

just a partial FYI..... In talkig to a 'care partner' friend at our old center, they were getting paid to care for their husband.  It was even a fair amount.  Unfortunatly, i dont know who they went through to get that but I think someone else on hear knows of the same experience.  I will do some checking and goodness, please dont let others burden you more than you already are.  It's a tough job this caregiving for needie ones.  A 24 and then some hours worth a day.  Bless you, give you some rest, and peace in your soul for what your doing... 
 :grouphug;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
drgirlfriend

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »

I tell you, any time I need an advocate, I'm hiring Jbeany! What a way with words!  :rofl; :rofl;

Aleta

SO MUCH ALL OF THIS!

Boyfriend diagnosed with renal failure Feb. 2011. Cause unknown.
PD Catheter "installed" June 30, 2011.
Began CAPD August 11, 2011.
On transplant list 11/23/11.
Started Liberty Cycler 12/1/11.
The Noob

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »

when some idiot asks me that, i say i work like a dog. end of discussion.

you could say "yea i work for free 24/7 to give you job security by doing what i do for free and getting my husband and son to all these appts. and treatments.."

this would be for the doofus medical person who asks..
Nameless

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »

I have always been a stay at home mom...my mother and my in-laws now think I should work because my husband can't. I am applying for IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) for my son. It should pay minimum wage for part time work, to do the same thing I have been doing for years.  :rofl; I always knew I had a hard job.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 01:21:28 AM »

YES, that is it, IHSS, not a lot of money, but it helps. Then. remember when you file your tax return, you will qualify for the Making Work Pay credit, which can be as high as $800.00 and the Earned income credit too, if all your husband has is SOC. So, not all bad!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 12:55:09 PM »

Great to hear you are going to get some financial help! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »

it may be just me, and i have a big mouth, but if it were my inlaws i'd say " great, i'll go find a full time job, you'll be here at 6am on monday to care for everyone? i should be home by 6pm"

my youngest broke her ankle when her oldest was just a baby and her sister helped her and got paid for it. she got the same as they would have paid an agency to send someone in.  every little bit helps.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »