I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 12:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Teacher worried time off for kidney donation will be denied
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teacher worried time off for kidney donation will be denied  (Read 2332 times)
djgaryb11

« on: August 02, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »

Teacher worried time off for kidney donation will be denied

By Angel K. Brooks
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Henry County teacher who requested time off from the sick leave bank to donate a kidney to her husband is afraid that her request will be denied, Channel 2 Action News reports.

Keri Van Sickle is afraid that her request for extra sick leave will be denied. She plans to donate a kidney to her husband J.D. Van Sickle,

Keri Van Sickle said she was told by human resources employees that the procedure is considered an elective surgery for her because she is donating an organ, not receiving one, the station said.

"I thought [the school system's sick leave bank] was a safety net for people who have unusual situations," Keri Van Sickle said. "I certainly thought I qualify as an unusual situation."

Van Sickle told Channel 2 that she has worked in Henry County School System for 20 years and her husband, J.D., also taught there.

J.D. Van Sickle has stage 4 kidney disease, and the couple was surprised that they are a match.

Keri Van Sickle will be out five to six weeks and has only two weeks of her own sick time to use.

According to Channel 2, the board policy lists organ transplant as an approved illness and does not specify donor or recipient.

The transplant will proceed no matter what.

"I'm kind of at their mercy because I'll be out about five weeks with no income," Keri Van Sickle said.

A schools spokesperson told Channel 2 that approval is up to the committee. The committee will decide on the request Tuesday.

http://www.ajc.com/news/henry/teacher-worried-time-off-1066131.html

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »

You're going to have to let us know if her request is granted.  If it is not, give us an email address where all of us on IHD can write to the school district and complain loudly.  This is absurd, really.  It's all about money.  The school district doesn't want to spend the money; I guess most school districts are strapped for cash these days.  Maybe this couple's church could hold a benefit for them or something.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jagermiester

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

It is really sad to see things like this when a human life is involved.  The thing is, if any  one those on the school board was in this situation, you know they would be fighting for the time off. 
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:02 PM »

My husband is an attorney for a closeby city, and they have a policy where you can donate accumulated vacation time to someone in exactly this position.  I wonder if something like that could work.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

It is a pity the transplant team couldn't have rushed the approval a bit though.  Then they could have done the transplant when everyone was off for the summer.  Another whole school year is a long time to wait on D if you've got a matching, healthy donor ready to go.

Still -if it's not in writing other than "transplant" I say they can change the policy for the next donor if they must - but pay up on this one!  3 or 4 weeks of a school teacher's salary - we are not talking millions here, folks!  Fork it over!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Can't she get time off for the Family Leave Act? She'll be caring for her hubby as she recovers. I'll bet that school district will get an earful!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
djgaryb11

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »

UPDATE !

Teacher allowed time off for kidney donation
By Angel K. Brooks
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Henry County teacher who requested time off from the sick leave bank to donate a kidney to her husband will be allowed to do so, Channel 2 Action News reported Tuesday.

Keri Van Sickle was worried that her request would be denied. She said she was told by human resources employees that the procedure is considered an elective surgery for her because she is donating an organ, not receiving one, the station said.

"I thought [the school system's sick leave bank] was a safety net for people who have unusual situations," Keri Van Sickle said. "I certainly thought I qualify as an unusual situation."

Van Sickle told Channel 2 that she has worked in the Henry County School System for 20 years and her husband, J.D., also taught there.

J.D. Van Sickle has stage 4 kidney disease, and the couple was surprised that they are a match.

Keri Van Sickle will be out five to six weeks and had only two weeks of her own sick time to use.

According to Channel 2, the board policy lists organ transplant as an approved illness and does not specify donor or recipient.

A committee granted Van Sickle's request for time off Tuesday.

The transplant is scheduled for Aug. 11.

http://www.ajc.com/news/henry/teacher-allowed-time-off-1066131.html

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:27:17 PM »

:clap; :clap; :clap;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »

It was the moral decision to make.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Wonder how much the bad press motivated that decision?   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Wonder how much the bad press motivated that decision?   ;D
that's what I am thinking!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »