I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:20:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  not sure where to post, question about stools and blood (UG)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: not sure where to post, question about stools and blood (UG)  (Read 3326 times)
The Noob

« on: August 06, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »

dh has been coughing like nuts for weeks. off almost all meds and not on the ones that cause that dry cough. but still hacking away. yesterday he had alot of pain in abdomen. we got home, he took some laxative. been up all night using bathroom. last 5 trips there is alot of blood, i don't see the "coffee grounds" that indicate internal bleeding, but its starting to look sort of grainy (could be laxative?) and he doesn't have pain anymore, no tenderness or swelling. i am thinking it may be due to all the coughing? he did this once before on one of the meds and broke a rib. there is no fever and he is "pink/warm/dry". i'm concerned just the same as things get interesting when one is on dialysis. he has no PD cath anymore and his colonoscopy was a month ago or so, which was all normal.
will be calling clinic this morn, probably a trip to hospital.
anyone had this happened?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:13:21 AM »

Wow, that's scary.
My sister had a ruptured vein in her espophogus once from coughing and it bled a lot. I would get him checked right away.
I found this, but I imagine you have already been searching the internet.
http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/bleeding-symptoms/causes

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
The Noob

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »

okarol do you know us well or what? yes searching internet. best case its small rupture from coughing. worst case its reaction to heparin or something else. i will call his endo doc this morning. pretty sure we will be heading to hospital to have him looked at. he has other symptoms, nausea, of and off cramps in abdomen and dizziness.
hopefully its nothing serious. was reading that even when patient is CMV positive, they can start developing more antibodies and this may cause bleeding. but i'd rather him be checked by doc than do the guessing on my own.
at any rate the HBG is needing to be checked. they were re-using dialyzor but went back to disposable few months ago.

could someone get me a large cappuccino? i have a feeling its going to be a long day.. :urcrazy;
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »

dh has been coughing like nuts for weeks. off almost all meds and not on the ones that cause that dry cough. but still hacking away. yesterday he had alot of pain in abdomen. we got home, he took some laxative. been up all night using bathroom. last 5 trips there is alot of blood, i don't see the "coffee grounds" that indicate internal bleeding, but its starting to look sort of grainy (could be laxative?) and he doesn't have pain anymore, no tenderness or swelling. i am thinking it may be due to all the coughing? he did this once before on one of the meds and broke a rib. there is no fever and he is "pink/warm/dry". i'm concerned just the same as things get interesting when one is on dialysis. he has no PD cath anymore and his colonoscopy was a month ago or so, which was all normal.
will be calling clinic this morn, probably a trip to hospital.
anyone had this happened?

Seeing blood during trips to the bathroom?
Red blood on the toilet paper - usually bleeding hemorrhoids, internal or external, especially with multiple laxative induced trips to the bathroom.
Orange color mixed in with the BM - a bleeding colitis of whatever type (lower GI bleed).
Black colored BM - old blood, digested blood (probably passing from an upper GI bleed).

Either GI bleed merits a trip to the ER because of the risk of plummeting hemoglobin levels.

Regarding "coffee grounds", we have only seen it present in vomit, ranging in color from red to black and in quantity from minuscule to voluminous.
It has always been caused by the vomiting itself causing an upper GI bleed ranging from minor to major (a tearing of the esophagus itself.)

How is your husband?

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
The Noob

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »

hey yall, all is well. dh would not go to ER. been fine all day and night, feels better, eating, no more blood. i can't force him so i went to bed early. will talk to nurse at clinic monday.

transplant team was supposed to make decision on his case last monday, but cancelled their meeting at last minute. so its back to this monday, and we will get word tuesday. trying to head off any issues ahead of time. one thing i agreed on was that we both usually get sick when he is in hospital and i have to watch his care like a hawk.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »