I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 01:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Stint Removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stint Removal  (Read 4580 times)
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:23:08 AM »

In a little over a week I am suppose to have the stint removed after I had my transplant over a month ago. For those who had this done what was their experience and what should I prepare for? I would hope to be put under. Should I worry or is it nothing to be concerned about? I was told it was not exactly pleasant for the male patients.

Larry

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
edersham

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »

For me ,the event was much easier than I expected. Some pressure going in, but once they get ahold of it, the stint comes out like a strand of spagetti in about 2 seconds and that it. I think I had a couple of drops of blood in my urine over the next 24 hours but that is expected.

Ed
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »

I had mine out 5 days ago.  Being female, my experience was significantly different from what yours will be, I am sure.  I had myself so worked up about the stent removal that I couldn't think about anything else for weeks :'( 

The whole procedure itself was over in less than a minute.  I was able to watch the removal on the same monitor as the urologist.  Oddly, I had to request the numbing gel placed beforehand because apparently my urologist's office had stopped using the gel because it interferes with lab results (I told the nurse that I wasn't having anything done for the lab, so give me the numbing gel!!!) and I can honestly say the anticipation was worse than the actual removal.   No pain other than having my dignity hurt by having to bare my bottom, have my privates washed in antiseptic, having the gel placed and then the actual procedure.  Again, being male, your experience will obviously be different than mine because of the extra plumbing involved. 

To be blunt and truthful, the stent was not at all what I expected...  It looked like a plastic coated electrical (small gauge) wire w/o the metal wire inside the plastic - the urine flows through the center and it was curled at the ends to keep it in place.  Mine was about 4 inches long.  I was expecting something that looked more like a heart stent not something I would find in an electrical gadget or my toolbox.

I did not have any bleeding or discomfort after the removal.  I drove the 75 miles home and had a relaxing rest of the day because I no longer had to think about the dreaded stent removal :bow; :bow;  Talk with your doctor about the least stressful way to have the stent removed - the gel was enough for me, but perhaps not for a guy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:48:41 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

I tried to find the thread that had this discussion before, but did not find it.

Well for me it was nerve wracking and slightly painful. One, I didn't know what to expect, this was not discussed in pre transplant seminars or during hospital stay till release. Second, it is like getting a urinary cath stuck in and then taken out that is taking longer than usual, numbing cream did not help one bit, had a female nurse watching (not comfortable about that part), burned to urinate after procedure for a bit. It was not fun for me.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:05:21 PM »

Chris - I encountered the same thing...  Nobody said anything about a stent placement.  I found out about it here and asked about it.  I also requested that a stent not be placed if at all possible.  Apparently not all surgeons use them.  When I had an ultrasound done two days post-tranplant, I asked the tech to look for a stent, she said she didn't find one, but that didn't mean I didn't have one.  Since nobody said anything about a stent placement post-transplant and the tech didn't see one, I thought I was off the hook.  Then I received a letter from a urologist's office at the hospital telling me they had scheduled an appointment to remove the stent...   :puke;  I called my coordinator and asked her to look in the actual surgery notes to make sure one was placed because I didn't want the urologist to get in there and not find anything to remove.

A foley catheter placement would be a good description of the procedure, but the scope was much narrower in diameter and the numbing gel worked for me.  I have had caths placed before, but I was always under anesthesia so I didn't feel a thing and wasn't even embarassed, lol.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:38:17 AM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »

wasn't as  bad as i was making it out to be...whole procedure from start to finish lasted less than 10 mins...male nurse used a syringe (without a needle) to shoot some type numbing medicine down pee pee hole which numbed me instantly.I watched the same monitor as the Dr did as he inserted a "scope" in me and inserted some type of grabber to get a hold of it and pull it out.Not to be dreaded!! wouldn't wanted done everyday but been through worse..Hope this will easy your mind. God Bless!! Chris BTW little burning afterwards but no biggie :beer1;

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »

My experience, as a woman, wasn't bad at all.  A tad uncomfortable, but no pain.  Good Luck. 

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
cath-hater

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »

I had it done last October. They get you into  a standard room with a special chair.  First a nurse will come in the tell you to put on a gown, and NOTHING underneath.  She will explain everything to you. You sit on the chair and raise your gown up and expose yourself (yeehaw !).

Nurse will wipe betadine all over your genital area. Then she puts some numbing cream inside your urethra. Puts some cloth around the penis leaving it exposed for the doctor.

Doctor uses a cystoscope (flexible tube with camera at the end). It's small so it fits in the urethra.  They have saline flowing out of the cystoscope so it can travel up the urethra easier.

I had the exact same concerns you have. I was like, "You're gonna go up !@#! and pull what out of my @#$! ? But it's not bad.  There was a point where the pressure got slightly too much and I had to pinch my "butt-hole" muscle (sorry but that's the best way I can say it), but it was like a brief second.

Once the doctor grabs the stent, it comes out in one nice fluid motion. The sensation is like when you go pee.

All in all, the cystocope was in and out in less than a minute. It goes by realy quick. Before you can start complaining of any pain or un-easiness, it's over.

You may have to pee right after, because the saline they have running goes into your bladder and you automatically get the "pee" sensation.

It's normal to have slight stinging sensation when urinating afterwards. Mine went away the next day. Maybe a little blood. All normal.  The relief you have afterwards is awesome. You'll find that all the anxiety over it was unecessary.

I don't know about you, but when I got my transplant, they had a cath placed in my urethra for urine. If you had that already, then this should be nothing new to you.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
LarryG

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

I had the stint removed that was placed in me after they transplanted the kidney via cystoscopy which is a procedure that was none too pleasant. However it is over with and with some discomfort, some bleeding and burns when I urinate. I guess no pain no gain. Hopefully after this it is smooth sailing.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »

Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscathed.  Was it as bad as you anticipated?

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »

Sorry that I missed this thread before the event Larry - glad to read it is over and done with without too many problems.

Just for completeness I'll recount my experience because it seems everyone (and I am going to focus on the males here since it's quite different for the genders) has a different one.

For me, it was almost comical in a way. I was dreading it, like most males, and having a female doc tell me it was "nothing" didn't help. lol

Anyway I came in and they basically said get on the couch, PULL YOUR JEANS AND UNDERWEAR DOWN (don't bother taking it off!! No serious!!  :rofl;) like back and think of England (glad I didn't think about Kate Middleton  >:D).

The whole thing was done in under 10 minutes. Yes, it's embarassing with these nurses wandering around while your junk's out in the limelight(as it were) and yeah I think the thought of what is actually going on is more scary/painful than the act. I would say the actual pain/discomort level is up there with having a catheter removed - it's not fun but it' over with relatively quickly. I think in sum total they had the thing in there for maybe 2-3 minutes (though it did seem longer) while they searched around for the stent, found it, and pulled the bugger out. Injecting the liquid local or whatever it was was unpleasant but I suppose once it kicked in it was mostly OK apart from having some bloke mucking around with you down there in a way you don't want!!!

Really though it was a relief to have done, but I would agree with everyone else that says it's almost like the bark is worse than the bite.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
LarryG

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »

Richard, I am not sure if there was not a bite. The nurse I had was good. She put in the numbing cream which I supposed helped and the second woman was just assisting because she was new and wanted to know if this was going to be her next career move. I was put on a table told to remove everything except my shirt and they gave me a hospital gown. It was when the doctor came in and he put the probe in was when I felt everything. He said there was a possibility my prostate was enlarged and I think that was most of the problem. Felt like it took longer than it really was. I survived and I still wish I had been put under. I did not sleep all night and with all that has gone on in the last six weeks including the transplant...this seemed the most stressful.
I know that is silly, but glad it is over.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
C904

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »

I know you already had the stint removed, but I want to give my take on it hoping my experience could help someone out.  Here is a good rule of thumb as to whether or not you should be put under to have the stint removed.  If you felt tremendous and I do mean tremendous pain when they removed your catheter after the transplant make sure you call the Urologist and request to be put under.  I had a major surgery twenty years ago and I was still in recovery and I had just opened my eyes when a nurse said we are going to remove your catheter and next thing I know I experience the worst quick burst of pain I ever had in my whole life.  Jump ahead to my transplant and all four days I had the catheter in I had several occurrences with urine backing up from the long drain hose and it hurt really bad and every time the different nurses looked at me like I was nuts.  When they took out the catheter I started screaming so loud a nurse came flying up the hall to see what was going on.  Just like twenty years ago when I had the catheter out it was a pain that was off the charts.  I went to see the Urologist to have the stint out and it is a very large practice with a ton of elderly patients, so this doc is a real pro at it and he has probably done a ton of them over the years.  The nurse puts in the numbing gel and I thought it was just a saline rinse because I was in a ton of pain as she was putting the numbing gel in.  The doc comes in and he spends literally three seconds in me and he stops because I jumped twice and he could see I was in a ton of pain.  He stopped and said we get one or two a year that we have to put under because of the pain.  He was real cool and he said the procedure barely lasts a minute, but you can't do it awake.  After he left the room the nurse tells me I made her jump because I was bouncing around so much, I said to her I thought they give you some kind of numbing gel for this and she said I already did earlier.  I was shocked because I could not imagine what it would have felt like without the numbing gel.

I know I am in the minority because the nurse at the hospital who took out the catheter remarked she never witnessed a reaction like I had from removing a catheter.  If anyone reading this had a ton of pain getting the catheter out I would see if they would agree to knock you out for the stint removal because the catheter is out in say three to five seconds, now imagine that same pain for fifty to sixty seconds. 
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »

I tried to find the thread that had this discussion before, but did not find it.

I found this, in case someone comes back to this thread, and is wondering about other threads, this one has some detailed discussion...
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=11377.0

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »