I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 05:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Our First Day of Training on Nxstage
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our First Day of Training on Nxstage  (Read 9526 times)
vcarmody

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 01:42:25 AM »

Just wanted to wish you good luck today!!  Message me later and let me know how it went.  I should be up by like noon (think that is 9am your time). 

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
The Noob

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »

7 days of training, nurse home with us the 8th day, 9th day we are home alone. "Sid" the machine running smooth and quiet. we are still in our PJ's, lazy day. DH feeling wonderful. thank you to our nurse too. she let us do this quicker due to distance driving. all is well. if you think you might be able to do this at home, can't recommend enough.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »

Ain't that the life!

Congrats! Brings back fond memories!

:2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
The Noob

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »

Never thought I'd be changing profile to say Home with Nxstage!
But so glad we did! DH has started to P again..can you believe it?

we have day off today. we're going to be doing this 6 days a week for the best result. DH is on NO meds now, except vitamin and Phosphate binder and may be able to decrease this soon. he feels wonderful, sleeps like a baby.

Ideally, in my dreams (i know), every patient able to, would do home hemo, nocturnal if possible, with insurance paying for trained person in the home to do it if necessary.

Because he is feeling better, we will get back to doing more than just sleeping night and day and back and forth in the hospital. we will actually get some of our life back.

the only problem we keep having is the little twist off caps to the hook ups, they sometimes break inside the cap. nurse says the dialysate is sticky and causes this. so we prime it occasionally to keep this from happening.

we've been home since Friday, this is Sunday, we have been catching up on rest and enjoy being home. we will probably save a ton in gas money. plus no more driving in a winter storm, leaving son to tend it all while we're gone serving the medical field. In our own home, our own schedule, doing what we want, in our pajamas, with the tv or dvd playing, dog sitting by the wood stove, stew cooking away, in our cozy warm surroundings.

i have a trash can we throw it all in and bag it. we use 2 boxes a day for fluid. the supplies (to me anyway) are less than PD, boxes are smaller. have a decent sized back area for it all. lazy boy we have, given to us, is soft and comfy. i'm telling you, this is the way to go. no comparison to in-center.

please consider it if you haven't. it is so much better!
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 04:59:04 AM »

I am so pleased it is going OK for you.
The Noob

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »

thank you all! i'm off to get groceries and wood, guys are heading out to get hay. wonderful that i don't have to carry the load all myself now. DH feels so better being able to do more!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »

Noob,

I'm very pleased that you have seen such immediate improvement. Even though this takes up time, having health and happiness is so very important. We actually spent more time together while Carl was doing NxStage. We have tried to keep that up since the TX, too. It was a very positive process for us and allowed Carl to continue working full time.

There will be bumps in the road, and you WILL make mistakes, but the worst is a lost treatment and you can easily make that up.

Best wishes.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »

No where near the stress as before!  Im so happy for you guys!!!!  Wait till you want to go somewhere for a get away, it makes a world of difference!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »

the only problem we keep having is the little twist off caps to the hook ups, they sometimes break inside the cap. nurse says the dialysate is sticky and causes this. so we prime it occasionally to keep this from happening.

Is this an ongoing issue? Not sure what exactly you're experiencing. I found I over tightened the lure locks on the red and blue lines - the lure locks are the screw to tighten line ends that are behind the white plastic packaging when you first open the cartridge bag.

Great that you're having a positive experience. You might have to change your logon because you sure don't sound like a noob.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »

I agree Bill,  maybe a "HAPPY NOOB" now!!!  lol

lmunch

The Noob

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »

yall are funny..

yes Bill its the lure lock on the red and blue lines. twice they've broke on red as we were setting up to do rinseback. hooked it on instead to blue, this is what nurse did when it happened at training. i reckon we still can't get all the way away from "made in china"..

Ladies, the ole man and the Boy went for a truck load of hay. then he and i went to town, got a bite to eat, and loaded the truck with wood. no small feat. we prayed aforehand, God is good, we right away found a man selling for half price, good wood, close to home. Bless him!

he is taking a nap now. everything clicking along good, and i have to keep reminding myself to slow down as we no longer have to race to get all this done, so we can get to the clinic.
Sunday is our day of rest.

the first day at home we had a fw alarms and snafu's but we fixed it in a few mins and it was fine. we scan the flow sheet and attach to nurse in email. she texts us and says it looks great. cannot tell you what freedom this has brought. blessed peace!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »