I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 05:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Being around those who smoke pot?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being around those who smoke pot?  (Read 4561 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: July 20, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »

Hello,
Question!?
If i get a transplant and go to a friends house, who smokes pot, would that effect me? I know I cant smoke it, and probably shouldnt be around it while its being smoked, but what about just being in a house it has been recently smoked in?
It is medical marijauna... and ive heard that its screened for mold, and has none... if thats the case, would it hurt me to be around it? *not smoke it, just be around it!*
really need to know, thank u!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »

Ummm, honestly, I wouldn't trust even med marij to be "screened."  But I'd simply make it clear to them that even the second hand smoke and the left over smoke absorbed into the furnishings is a hazard and could we sit outside, or meet elsewhere if at all possible.  Surely they can understand that it's not worth the risk to a transplanted kidney.

Would it keep me away from a friend on hospice, no.  Would it make me extra cautious about being in the house, yes.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »

I don't know, I stopped going to my friends house and not just because they live quite a distance away. When I go, the brothers, 3 of them are always together and smoke and smoke cigarettes. I'm not a smoker and hate coming home with the smell. They aren't going to adjust and my transplant is more important than going there. Only thing I'm missing is  some bbq food in the neighborhood and playing with their dogs.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »

do whatever is best chance to keeping the tx for the forseeable future.

Don't leave it to chance

hope it gets here soon and stays around long long time

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »

Thank you.

My entire family smokes cigs, so im always around that, i wonder if thats a problem too?
And, I really would like to go spend time with this person when i am more free to travel, but they smoke med. pot for chronic pain from a bad accident, so its not like he can just get up and go somewhere else to smoke it.
i didnt know if that stuff stays in the air afterward or not... and like second hand, if im there while hes actually smoking it?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »

Well, some of the latest studies are showing that not only is the second hand smoke that you inhale while they are actively smoking it dangerous to you, but the toxins leaching back out of walls, carpets, and furniture are equally dangerous, even when there isn't any smoke in the air.  The studies were done on regular cigs, but I doubt there's much better results from mj.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »

I don't know, regular cigarettes are finely-tuned killing machines, no deaths have been attributed to marijuana use. Certainly not the several hundred thousand that die each year from cigarettes.

I don't see how this could affect your transplant in the slightest. However, this is one of those instances where the transplant centre gets their way despite a dearth of evidence. I would not worry about post-transplant, I would worry that exposure could turn up in your labs and your hospital might kick you off the list for drug use. However, if they have told you to quit smoking to stay on the list, and I have to believe they would, too much second-hand smoke exposure could also register as non-compliance. It's like living in some third-world country at times - the truth does not matter, all that matters is what the few medical professionals who have been appointed as your judges believe about you.

I would get as far away as possible from the cigarettes for the rest of my life, and maybe stay well clear of the marijuana around blood draw time. :twocents;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:09 AM »

I would have to agree,

The only problem is, every single person in my life smokes cigs.. except my son haha
i live with chimneys!

HemoDialysis since 2007
lawphi

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »

I would think that the fungus would have to be inhaled and can't be transmitted through the smoke. 

I read a study that marijuana increased the prograf levels in patients. 

Also, if your friends vaporized, you would not be exposed to any second hand smoke. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »

I read a study that marijuana increased the prograf levels in patients. 

OK, then there's your answer. You certainly do not want to send your Prograf levels out of whack. High levels are nephrotoxic. I guess it depends on what they mean by an increase - a tenth of a point, a full point? Also, it would be helpful to know if you would be breathing in any of the compounds that elevate Prograf levels.

GLM, I think this is something you could talk to your transplant team about, but maybe wait until after the transplant. Before transplant, they will interpret this in the worst way posisble (i.e. she's hanging out with junkies!) Don't stop visiting your friend! It sounds like he could use companionship.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

I wont stop visting him no matter what... i think im falling in love with him.... just need to know what i can do to protect myself just in case i DO fall in love with him completely...
hes so amazing, and he only smokes it to help with all the pain he is in... its either that or TONS of pills... and he doesnt like the pills. (neither do i!)

HemoDialysis since 2007
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »

I'm just curious GLM; if you were to fall completely head over heels in love with him, and he were to fall completely head over heels in love with you and thus there came a time when you wanted to move in together, would he stop smoking the weed and pop the pills(!) instead?  I ask on two counts, the first being that your son would be exposed too (even if he's not in the same room at the time) and the second being that you've said it's EITHER the drugs OR the meds and given the impression he just doesn't want to take the medication. 

Would he do that for you?

>:D

I'm happy that you're happy!  I hope the happiness and the fluffy feelings of romance continue long into the future! But NOT at the expense of you getting that kidney!

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »

That would not be something id want for him to do, be in so much pain for me... if it came to that we would just have to have a specific room for him to do that. He didnt smoke or take pills the whole time i was visiting, but i could tell he was hurting bad...

I feel so bad for him, but he has an amazing outlook on life considering what has happened to him. amazing man... wow. i dont blame him for hating the pills. Id much rather do mj than pills too! pills are evil! And they make him sick to his tummy, so hes dwindling down in weight as well... i cant believe the things he has endured.

there has to be a way that i can "have my cake and eat it to" in this situation.... i guess we will just play it by ear...

Maybe my stance on the earlier post Love or Health has changed... I think id chose him over the kidney!

HemoDialysis since 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »