I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:25:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  4 month update!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4 month update!  (Read 2884 times)
lou

« on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »

Hi everyone, just thought id let anyone who's interested know how its all going 4 months after my transplant. I still come on this website all the time but haven't posted for a while - if I'm honest its probably because I'm so happy at the moment and not constantly bugging you all with my questions and rants!!!

I cant even begin to describe how different life is now and i know i was only only on dialysis a short while but i just feel SO grateful everyday. I feel so happy and full of energy and without sounding too cheesy just like i need to make the most of everyday. Its been gorgeous weather over in the UK the last month and me and Shawn have spent most weekends camping down in Cornwall, which is just beautiful. Just being able to pack up the car and head off to the beach for a weekend with only a few pills to worry about rather than the dreaded machine is just unreal!  :bandance;

Fingers crossed so far my bloods have all come back good. My creatinine seems to be staying around 105 now which is just amazing, especially after all the drama surrounding the transplant. Am even down to one blood test a fortnight!  :yahoo; wow!!  :yahoo;

Am back at school and feels like i was never off work! just counting down till we break up for the summer in 2 weeks. Some of you may remember i said i was hoping to go to Paris for my 30th in august - well Shawn has booked it! 3 nights in Paris!! Considering how much i was dreading going into my 30's on dialysis i cant even begin to explain how amazing it feels to know we can go away. 

I recently wrote a letter to my donors family and i just hope it may be some small comfort to know how much their kindness has transformed someones life. I think of my donor every day when i wake up and thank him for the decision he made to be an organ donor. Also over the last couple of weeks I have spend a few days in the city where i live setting up a stand in the city centre handing out donor cards and talking to people about organ donation which has been a great experience and i have had mostly positive responses from people. (although not all!!)

Anyway i also just wanted to let anyone know who is waiting for a transplant and maybe nervous or worried about it, it really will change your life. I just hope things continue this well...

Sending loads of love to you all (even tho i don't post as often i still feel like i know many of you well) x x x x  :grouphug;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:45:13 AM »

Thanks for the update lou and I'm so very happy that you're making the most of everything that your transplant allows.  I'm doing the same with mine and feel similarly to how you do about the gratitude and the not taking things for granted.  My first trx was cadaveric like yours and this one was a gift from my brother's generous wife.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »

This is excellent news lou!  I'm smiling a big smile to think of your good times.  And oddly, i was just looking about Paris (online) last night, how I love that city.  This was one of my favourite spots:
http://www.paris-walking-tours.com/jardindupalaisroyal.html
In 1789, the Jardin du Palais Royal was the liveliest place in Paris. People came here to get the latest news and political rumors. It was a place of speeches, discussions, drinking and gaming.

Here, on July 12th, 1789, Camille Desmoulins, a young lawyer, jumped on a table in the Café de Foy and broke the news that Jacques Necker, the popular Minister of State, had been forced to resign. Desmoulins called out, "Aux armes, citoyens!" ("To arms, citizens!"). Two days later, the Bastille was taken.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
kidneystudy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:09:18 AM by kidneystudy » Logged
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:59:15 AM »

Trying to see if you were on our list.
You are now!
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4927.0
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:07:27 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lou

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »

Thanks okarol! Hope you ane jenna are both well.  :flower;

I had transplant clinic last week and my creat was 99. lowest its been so am sooooo excited!  :bandance;

x x x
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »

Awesome news Lou!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »