I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:23:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  dental clearance question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dental clearance question  (Read 5155 times)
The Noob

« on: July 03, 2011, 09:22:06 AM »

ok, i know this has been addressed but when i went to hit reply and post the question, it said to start new thread.

so, hubby is almost done with the criteria for transplant. he has the colonoscopy next week, short meet with cardiologist, and then the dental part.

i took him a month ago to dentist. explained about the transplant criteria. they did xrays. did a deep clean. i told them we have no insurance for dental and its all out of pocket. they say he has no active infections but won't sign clearance until he has 3 more cleanings and 2 extractions. which of course requires yet another doc.
i don't think they heard me when i said no, we don't have a spare grand sitting around to do this.

when we went to eval last week, they said all that wasn't required. just that he has no infections. which he doesn't.

so i am going to have to find him another dentist? his two front teeth were cracked (one broke in half) when intubated a year ago. his teeth have always been crooked. they even suggested he get braces for a year first??? we do not have the funds for all this. when they did the cleaning, they insisted on giving antibiotic first, even though i had his D nurse on the phone saying wasn't required.

best get a different dentist? imput?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:24:17 AM by The Noob » Logged
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »

Definitely get a second opinion, if not a new dentist. We just had to switch dentists - we had a pragmatic dentist with bad hours that we used to love.  Because of his hours, we went to a new dentist who had every toy available.  And with those new dental toys came new "needs" - we just "had" to have deep cleanings, multiple cavities filled, on and on.  Since I've been in kidney failure, his techs will barely give me a cleaning but still think that I should be there four times a year, when our insurance only pays for two. They're afraid to touch me, I guess I think I'll bleed to death in their chair or something.  This is even after two nephrologists have told him that he's being overly cautious and that they can clean away. 

Now, because of this guy's issues, we have to switch dentists AGAIN to someone who won't bill over Reasonable & Customary and won't charge our credit card without giving us itemized bills.  His billing/office staff is awful - they insist on having a credit card on file and send in charges whenever they feel like it, without sending bills ahead of time so we can at least see what is being billed and compare it to what is being done.  A total racket, if you ask me. 

But at least this dude did give me dental clearance without too much of a fuss.   ::)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »

Hi, hun, welcome back!

If dental insurance is anything like medical, you are probably paying this person more than he gets from the insured. He supposes that he has you both on the line and why not make it an extra special holiday for himself and his family.... Braces before a transplant? I think I would have dialed the attorney right there in the office. Tell your transplant clinic that this is going on, that he gave his verbal OK but refuses to sign the paper until you each have 10 grand in cosmetic procedures done. This is blatant extortion. You don't need to mention to the transplant coordinator that it is a financial issue, this is as much a time and trust issue as anything else. Every day on the list is a chance to get off dialysis, and you have done everything asked of you.

Yes you should get another dentist, but not to be cleared for transplant. Get your records from this slimeball dentist and try to proceed with those alone. Also, in situations like these, I highly recommend that you go on sites like Yelp and tell the world your experience. I had a particularly good experience with a dentist for my kids, and I did just that. If you absolutely must get a dentist's signature, ask if they have dentists at the transplant center and try to get it done there. Negotiate price beforehand, and quite possibly they will just do a quick check of his mouth and not even charge you. (Transplant hospital in Chicago where I go has a dental clinic onsite.)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
The Noob

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »

oh excellent advice! this is toledo hospital, ohio. when we speak to donor nurse next week will ask her.

he does have medicare, which paid for the one cleaning. if we'd have to it would cost us 140$ each time, and don't know what extraction would be.

i have no insurance for anything for myself. we don't qualify for medicaid or any other benefits except SSD and medicare and NKF is paying cobra for 29 months.
hence, would like to be positive and say he will get TX before then and eventually we can both go back to work?
i do love it when they ask if i "work". i told the last one who asked that "i donate my full time to a dialysis patient who can't afford to hire help".. ;D
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »

braces before the dentist will sign off...what a bunch of BS!!! You don't have to have a mega watt movie star smile to get a transplant...to ask a dialysis patient to endure this procedure is ridiculous!!!

Yes he needs antibiotics before and after he goes to the dentist. If he gets an infection from his gums bleeding it could go to his heart...not good!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
The Noob

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »

well, D nurse said just for a cleaning wasn't needed. but we did it anyway.
i thought i was talking to a wall when speaking with dentist. i mean how clear can you be on NO DENTAL COVERAGE?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

You can get help with dental here I think - check into Medicare for transplant clearance http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=19369.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »

My Tx hospital's dental clearance form was very specific:  No active infections.  Nothing else was a concern to them.

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »

As other have said, get another dentist. I would check with your local counties health department to see if they can do some dental work either for free or at a drastic price cut as they do where I live. My condition and health was something they could not handle and they referrred me to area dentist and dental colleges that offer free service or discount service depending on income. If you have Medicaid, then it is free for sure. I went to one of the Universities in Chicago who did my extractions for free and would do dental work for free if I could ever get into their program. I just ended up going to a local dentist who worked with medicare and medicaid. Any out of pocket expence I had to pay I got a discount (nice for me and them, they get their money that day without waiting for insurance b.s.) which helped me meet my monthly Medicaid spend down.

So if your by  a large city or a university, look at their website and dental programs.
Good Luck

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012