I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Binders
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Binders  (Read 3679 times)
billybags
Elite Member

« on: June 09, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »

Does any one else have problems getting these horse tablets down. We had a renal appointment this afternoon and that included seeing the dietitian, my husband has lost so much weight these last few months and I was saying that he has problems swallowing these pills. She is going to see the neph because there is some thing out there that you can add to a little water and it does the same job. Any one on them?
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »

can  the  tablets  be  cut in half?

I  always  took  phoslo   first  tablets  then  capsules.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
greg10

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »

If these are the chewable carbonate or acetate tablets (calcium or lanthanum), you can blend it into a protein shake and drink it with a meal.  Use a personal blender and don't use too much liquid but do add a little bit of celery and strawberry to make it go down easier.  It makes for a great low carb  high protein drink.   Use a high quality whey protein isolate which will generally have less than 150 mg phosphorus per 30g powder serving.

Does any one else have problems getting these horse tablets down. We had a renal appointment this afternoon and that included seeing the dietitian, my husband has lost so much weight these last few months and I was saying that he has problems swallowing these pills. She is going to see the neph because there is some thing out there that you can add to a little water and it does the same job. Any one on them?

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »

Which binder are you speaking of?

An example of how dumb I can be.  Back when it was just coming onto the U.S. market, my dietitian gave me some Fosrenol samples to take to see if I liked it better than Renagel as my phosphorous binder.  I thought, "geez these horse pills are going to be a load to swallow."  Well, stupid me tried it - very unsuccessfully - before reading the directions to CHEW - not swallow with fluid.  Learned my lesson to ALWAYS read directions first.

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »

I take Tums myself, when I remember to do it. My Phos went from 4.1 to 7.2. Why? I'm an idiot and just forgot.

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:51:30 AM »

They are Renagel, hard as bloody iron, can not cut them in half.  They are a night mare at the moment to get down, they jam in his throat.
cath-hater

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:17 AM »

Yeah. I went through Phoslo and then Renegel. Both made me too constipated. Now I chew Fosrenol. I think they are very convenient and taste like Tums. At first, the chalky feeling was a littel nasty, but eventually got use to it.

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »

I hate Renagel, constipate real bad and they are like horse pills to swallow. Gotten used to the swallowing but I hate the constipation UGH! ::)

Thank God I'm not on any fluid restrictions so I drink a lot of water and eat a fair amount of fruit to help combat the constipation

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
cookie2008

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »

There is a powder form you put with water and the taste is citrus flavor, its called Renvela sevelamer carbonate. ask your neph for some samples to try.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

Watch the price on the Renvela (see my post from earlier this week entitled 'Renvela - whoo Pricey!').  Make sure your SW gives you the discount coupon or you'll freak out at the co-pay.  For me it would have been $200 for a month (WITH private insurance!) but the coupon took it down to $50.

There is a powder form you put with water and the taste is citrus flavor, its called Renvela sevelamer carbonate. ask your neph for some samples to try.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 05:05:12 PM »

Greg, we have all we need to make this concoction of yours, and it really sounds good.  Hey, wouldn't hurt to try. I think I will leave off the celery cause hubby is not fond of it, but he loves strawberries.  Thanks! :thx;  :thx;  :thx;

lmunchkin     :flower; 

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

Yes,
I don't have trouble swallowing renagel but the constipation is horible, I only get it if I take 4 pills or more. It also makes your crap come out in little chunks which causes you to go a lot.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:24 AM »

sullidog, little chunks, I like that. Chunks of bloody renagel lol
cath-hater

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »

This thread is starting to gross me out !  :puke;

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:56 AM »

Ew!!!!! :puke;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »