I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Working after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Working after transplant  (Read 3252 times)
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« on: February 13, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »

Just wondering how everybody went about ging back to work or finding a job post transplant..

Mike resigned from work back in September 2009 when dialysis was gtting in the way of his job. After his transplant in December 2010, hes been contemplating what exactly to do. He's desperate to find work, but is really puzzled at what is safe, and what isn't. Eg. Nothing that's in the sun, no excessive heavy lifting etc. And in this recession there doesn't seem to be any jobs going that he can do..  :waiting;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »

After Otto's 1st he went back to work in 2 weeks and probley did things he shouldn't have done :urcrazy; but he was only 23 and had been at his job 1 month when he got the transplant. 17 years later he is still there

-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »

Ah, so he went back to the job he originally had?
Mikes old boss would have kept a position open for him, but the placed changed ownership recently. Rats!

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »

Hey Nik,

I got a full time job 6 months after my transplant. At the time I did not think I was ready for full time, but had a crack at it and only just last week had my first sick day off work with the flu (8 months after starting work there). Have pushed myself on the heavy lifting front. Sometimes if i refuse to do something at work people look at me as if to say whats wrong with you, not knowing that I've had my guts cut open a dozen times.

I'm sure Mike will find something when the times right.

:waving; Brad. XX

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:28:11 AM »

After his transplant, Gregory went back and finished highschool, did a Bachelor of Arts (History) and then a library qualification.  Now he's been a library technician for ten years.
Another friend with a transplant worked in a mailsorting room. I worked there too for a while.  It was a fun workplace actually.  I liked sorting mail.  There was some lifting and a fair bit of standing, but he seemed fine with it.

modified to add:  I should have mentioned that before renal failure, Gregory was a concreter's laborer.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »

I went back to work around 6 weeks after my transplant - it probably would have been a bit soner, but Christmas/New Year meant a break for everyone so I started back more or less full time the first week of the year (Jan 4th or something). I was still doing regular labs and clinic visits, but those were down to 2-3 times a week, and work was happy for me to do those, then come in etc, and work up to full time. Aa the transplant docs said "You could sit at home doing not much, or go to work - choice is yours" - they didn't consider the risks in terms of infection or whatever to be any worse being at work than being at home as long as I was good with the common sense stuff like staying away from obviously coughing/sick people, washing hands etc.

Apart from kidney/eye eyes I've not had sick days from work and been just fine for over 5 months now. It's been great to be back at work and working mostly full time.

I've been very lucky to have supportive bosses and co-workers who have not had a single issue with me needing tests or whatever. They've always said to me you just deal with whatever you need to deal with and don't worry about us. That's made it much easier for me, but I've also worked  hard to make up time that I've had to take off for MRI's or whatever.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:56 PM »

I went back to work 12 weeks after my first transplant.  It would have been sooner, but like Richard, we had Christmas and everything so I came back after the new year. 

I wasn't working before my 2nd transplant and I am having a hard time finding a job.  I know a lot has to do with the economy, but that gap in my resume isn't helping much either. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »