I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 05:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney Transplant Questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney Transplant Questions  (Read 2161 times)
Dragonfly

« on: June 13, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »

Hello

Can someone please tell me what the procedure is for an evaluation? What do they do at the evaluation? Please help, nervous and scared...

Thanks Dragonfly

Dragonflies and Butterflies and Dad and Mom

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
Raynard's Syndrome - 11/17/09
Pulmonary Hypertension - 03/08
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:36:26 PM »

There are lots of good subjects in the Transplant Section http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Dragonfly

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »

ok Thanks, okarol

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »

Have you had any appointments with the transplant center yet?   It all seems overwhelming, but I learned to just take one thing at a time.  1st there was orientation - classroom with lots of patients and family members.  Lots of information, questions, introduction to financial coordinator, your own coordinator.  After that, they started scheduling the evaluation tests.  Some get theirs done in a couple of days. Mine took a few months - just depends on the center and you.  Test are simple, EKG, stress test, echocardiogram, blood test (and more blood tests!), sonogram and other basic health tests.  The best advice I was given was to not be afraid of the tests, they were just checking to make sure nothing else was wrong so they could fix it. They weren't trying to rule me "out". That made me feel better.   During my testing, I had potential donors tested (that didn't work out).  Then once a year they redo test to keep you current on the "list".  This is just a brief overall.  Keep asking questions.  I am 9 months post transplant (thank you donor!!).   Good luck with everything.  We'll all help you so you can leave the nervous part behind.    :cuddle;     :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »

dragonfly, I'm not going to talk about the actual evaluation since things are different in oz compared to other places (like I barely had any formal evaluation, though I am sure everything was crossed off behind the scenes between my neph and transplant team and all the rest) but I did want to just say to you to try to not be too scared or have nerves. Just be yourself and answer questions honesly and prepare for a bunch of tests and probably a lot of waiting(from what I've read!!). Hopefully you'll be fine and on the way to something better!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:31 AM »

If you are getting on the waiting list for a cadaveric kidney you will have to meet with the social worker, neph, finacial person, and surgeon. They will make you go through some orientation class about transplants and how to take care of them after the surgery.

If you have a living donor the donor goes through many tests like 24 hour urine, blood tests, EKG, BP monitoring plus add in the social worker, neph, finacial, and surgeon.

Don't be nervous...you can do it!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Dragonfly

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »

I haven't been down for my evaluation yet, I was too scared and nervous and wanted to wait a bit, still had to accept the thing, I had a hard time dealing  with it all. Now I am trying to get over the fact of carrying someone Else's organ around in my body. I mean don't get me wrong I would love to be healthy and I appreciate the sacrifice, but it kind of weirds me out and then to think of carrying around a kidney from a deceased person puts a lot of mental emotions on me. If I went to a mental health dr they would commit me. This whole thing has really been something to deal with. I want to thank everyone for their input on the evaluation process, now its not the great unknown.

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »

Norma......GET ON THE LIST!!!!!

Go ahead and have your evaluation done so you can be collecting time. If you finally decide that you don't want a transplant, you can deal with that later, but you need to have your time building up as soon as possible.

My husband got a cadaveric kidney about 4 months ago. He's doing great! I sometimes think about the donor, but in a good way. His death allowed so many others to have a better life, so in a way his life wasn't wasted.  :)

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Dragonfly

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »

Just called, I have my evaluation appt July 19th and I also have two family members willing to be tested, that makes four living donors. :)

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »

Dragonfly,  I relate to the part about carrying another's organ.  I had years to prepare for the acceptance, but reality was harder than I thought.  The day of the surgery, my mind was totally on the donor's family.  I had to be at the hospital as soon as I could--about 10am. Surgery didn't happen until midnight, so that whole day I kept thinking that somewhere a family was having to say good bye to their loved one and accept their death.    Now, 9 months later, I still think of the donor and family every day. When I work on my garden, I thank him for giving me the ability to do that.  Everything I do, I give thanks for my second life.    I probably think about the family too much, but they are my heros and saved my life.    In the beginning, I was so filled with joy - but had sadness that someone died in the process.    I am dealing with it much better now.   But how could you not be "weirded out"a bit when you think of someone elses kidney working inside you?  BTW, the transplant team expects you to have some trepidation about this. 

Please start the list process.  It took about 10 months for me to get listed, then 5 years on the list.   So, the sooner you can be listed, the better.  I'll look forward to reading about your journey.    Good luck   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »

Yeah!!!!!!    :yahoo;     :2thumbsup;     :clap;     :cuddle;     :bandance;     :cheer:

Good for you!   Very happy that you have made the call and have an appointment.     :2thumbsup;

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »

w00t!  :clap; :clap;

This first step is a big one. The rest will be easier.  :2thumbsup;

I'm so glad you made that call!  :cheer:

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Dragonfly

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »

Yes, making the call was a big step, but I do feel a little better.  I cried. I always seem to cry all the time...

SLE - 11/17/09
Renal Failure - 11/17/09
CHeatherS

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

Oh my...... you are reminding me of all of the emotions and unknowns that go with this.  But now, on the other side of it, (and waiting for a transplant in Seattle in August, I live in Alaska) I wonder, what was I afraid of?  So, let us encourage you, because my goodness, 4 potential donors, that's amazing!!!  You have a LOT going for you.  But worry and fear are your biggest enemies, so really work on shortening the time that those things dig into you. 

Blessings, prayers and congrats!!!!

Heather
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »