I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 11:19:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  MY QUEST TO BECOME A FIREFIGHTER
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY QUEST TO BECOME A FIREFIGHTER  (Read 1414 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 05, 2011, 12:54:43 AM »

MY QUEST TO BECOME A FIREFIGHTER
2 days ago
0 Comments
Posted in Articles, Kidney Patients
By Matthew Purvis

Most people wouldn’t associate the words “firefighter” with “dialysis patient,” but I’m hoping to do my small part to change that line of thinking.

As I sit down and write this piece, I’m fresh off a six-mile bike ride home from the Bellview Fire House, Station 1, here in Pensacola, Fla. I try to commute on my bike as often as possible, for two main reasons: first, I simply love cycling; second, I want to maintain the highest fitness level possible because I want to be a professional firefighter.

Perhaps, like many guys, for most of my life I have wanted to be a firefighter, but my initial return to dialysis a few years ago (after a transplanted kidney finally failed) put me into a depression that I only recently climbed out of.

But climb out of it, I did. A key component of beating depression was my decision to not let anything stand in the way of my goals, and since my goal was to be a fire fighter, I went down to the local fire station and asked what I could do to be a volunteer.

When they told me that to be a volunteer, at a minimum I needed to become a certified First Responder, I immediately found out where and when I could take the course and eagerly attained the certification.

Officially, a First Responder has completed a course and received certification in providing pre-hospital care for medical emergencies. Lifesaving skills in the first responder course include recognizing unsafe scenarios and hazardous materials emergencies; protecting emergency personnel from blood borne pathogens; controlling bleeding; applying splints; conducting a primary life-saving patient assessment, in-line spinal stabilization and transport; and calling for more advanced medical help.

Armed with my certification, I am now at the fire house about four days a week as a volunteer. I’m not going to lie to you, there is a good bit of down time but there is also a ton of preparation for when the alarm bell goes off.

For instance, on Monday night we train for everything a firefighter does – house rescues, water rescues, car extractions, hose training, etc. I don’t know how hard it looks in the movie “Backdraft,” but I assure you that dragging 1,000 feet of water-filled hose up a few flights of stairs is incredibly difficult. It’s hard training and can be super intense.

We’re constantly making sure all the “eyes” are dotted and the “tees” are crossed when it comes to being ready for a call. One of my key responsibilities is the weekly truck check. I am assigned to a truck and it’s my responsibility to make sure all the tools are on the truck, everything’s lubed properly, the chainsaws are gassed up, and all the equipment is there and ready for an emergency. Basically I make sure that when the alarm comes, the truck is good to go.

As a first responder, while I can—and do—go with the fire fighters to the scene of a fire or accident, I can’t go into a working structure fire. In order for that to happen, I need to pass my Florida Firefighter I and II exams, two comprehensive written and practical examinations that follow a combined 500 hours of grueling class and field work.

http://www.renalbusiness.com/articles/2011/06/my-quest-to-become-a-firefighter.aspx

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »

One of our members, sutphendriver, has been a firefighter for 15 years.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3727.msg352095#msg352095
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:42:00 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »

I dips me lid to them!

Galvo
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

Kudus for your completing your first step of training. I hope you get through the next steps successfully. By the way, my mother's maiden name was Purvis -- from western Pennsylvania.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »