I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 11:55:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Birth Control while on dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birth Control while on dialysis  (Read 5359 times)
Rain

« on: October 31, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »

What birth control is safe while on dialysis.  I"m currently on the pills but I want to get off even though the doctors didn't say anything, just that I'm approaching transplant and I don't want a risk of blot cloths.

Are there other dialysis patients on the pill on this forum?

Those that aren't what do you use?

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »

Wish I had better advice for you. I was on the pill after transplant and there was no problem but now on dialysis my periods stopped so I'm not using it. I think if your doctor is ok with it, you should just stay on it.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »

My first transplant I was on the pill afterwards and I didn't have any problems. Now with the second transplant no periods so I just use condoms.  I know my current doc team says they don't want me to take BC right after transplant b/c of it's link to high blood pressure and it supposedly makes your blood thicker. I even talked to my surgeon about it and he said "no way" too! They didn't want the kidney to clot off....I don't think I would take it now b/c it is not supposed to be good for people who have cystic livers either (of course you may not have this problem) :) Hope that helps a bit.....

good luck,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Desert Dancer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »

I can't take any hormonal BC whatsoever, so I just had done with it a few years ago and got an IUD. Never have to think about it.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Annig83

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:04 PM »

I am on Implanon, it's a BC implant that sits right below the skin in your arm. It's good for 3 years, and having the surgery is minor.  My OB/GYN did it right in the office.  They numb your arm and place it...I think it took 10 minutes...  It's progesterone only so it doesn't affect blood pressure and it has a lower risk of blood clots.  I had blood clots in my arm after having a PIC Line in (easier to draw blood since I have no veins!!) the hospital when I had my son, and had my PD catheter put in.  Mirena is a vaginal implant that is good for I believe 10 years.  I believe it's just IUD (using iron to kill sperm), but if you haven't had a baby yet (vaginally) the surgery can be a little painful because they have to go through your cervix.

Implanon is great, the only side affect I have is some spotting between periods, but I never have cramps, and my periods are lighter than before.  What's also great is the fact that because it releases Progesterone a little at a time, is that I have fewer mood swings, swelling, etc. and if you have to be on an antibiotic you don't have to worry about it not working, when I was on the pill I always used a form of BC to back it up (guess that didn't work well cause I now have a one year old lol) :2thumbsup;

Depending on your insurance plan, most cover it for free. 

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:16 AM »

I kept my Mirenia IUD in while on D, through my transplant, and multiple surgeries for complications.  Never had a problem.  Comes with the added bonus of reducing fluid volume during that time of the month to almost nothing.  Especially good if heparin on D makes your flow heavier.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 02:03:51 PM »

Heparin can make your flow heavier?? damn.. it's already making my hair fall out

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
carson

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »

I used Birth control pills for 25 yrs, all the while dealing with my kidney issues. It never affected me negatively. I had to stop taking them this year as I am now taking Tamoxifen for my EPS and they cannot be taken together. I am surprised any docs would consider giving a kidney patient an IUD since they can cause inflammation and infection. At least that's what my OB/GYN told me recently. She did suggest a diaphragm with spermicide though.

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »

I was told the risks from an IUD aren't high enough to counterbalance the advantages - like not being permanently anemic and not needing several sets of clothes just to get through a single D session. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »