I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 09:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What Do You Crave?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What Do You Crave?  (Read 2538 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: June 11, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »

What do you crave now that you're on dialysis? I crave cheese ALL the time and it really frustrates me I can't each much of it anymore thanks to my phosper levels being high. Not drinking much milk used to really bother me too in the beginning for the first few months on dialysis, but I can cope with that now, just not the cheese limitations-I'm such a cheese junkie, if it weren't for the monthly labs, I'd be cheating all the time and be nick named a cheese junkie! LOL! ;D

Also, Is there anything that you CAN"T eat anymore because it makes you gag? I find I can't stomach eating a hotdog anymore, esp boiled or friend. If I were to eat it done over a campfire, I could eat it, but done the other ways, no, I'd gag and feel like vomiting because I gagged on a weiner pre dialysis when I was quite sick and just can't mentally vision myself eating a hot dog anymore. Is there any foods that you have been 'put off' from since renal failure?

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »

My dietician allows me to trade milk for cheese. I used to eat and drink a lot of both, but now I only eat a little cheese once a week but I drink up to 500ml milk a day.

Interesting you should nmention food that now makes you sick. That happened to me too, even though I thought it shouldn't. Now, I can't stand McDonald's.  :puke;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »

Me too!!! I haven't had McDonald's for a year now! Can't stomach a Big Mac if I tried!!

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
romanyscarlett

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »

I haven't given up milk or cheese. I have Primula (a spreadable soft cheese) every single day. I don't eat a lot of meat though so my dietician said it was ok. I was getting high phos results in the beginning but now I take 3 Renegel tablets with every meal and it's under control.

I crave things like Pepsi Max, Cherry Cola, Root Beer and Dr Pepper. I still have them in miniature 150ml cans but I can't wait for the day when I can have a big glass and not have to worry about the consequences.

I also crave Heinze cream of tomato soup. It's going to be one of the first things I eat when I get a transplant. I intend on having it with piles of buttered white bread.

On the subject of McDonalds, I read a book called Fast Food Nation when I was 18 and I haven't had so much as a French fry from McDonalds since then. It's been 8 years this August!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »

I've never heard of Primula. What's it like? You say its a soft cheese? Do you put it on crackers?

I've had one McDonalds french fry in a year. I stay away from their burgers on the whole. 

romanyscarlett

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »

Primula is the stuff of dreams for a soft cheese lover. It comes in a tub or a squeezy tube and it's great on crackers or in sandwiches. My boyfriend has it instead of butter in his ham sandwiches whereas I like to have it plain on a bagel or on white bread. It comes in a variety of flavours including plain, light, ham and prawn. I don't like the ham or prawn ones much but I know my diet would be pretty miserable without the normal flavour!

They've also started doing a dunkers version so you get a little pot of the cheese with some mini Italian breadsticks to dip in it. Delicious!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

MMmmmmmm sounds yummy! Is it pretty low in phosphorus then? I googled it, it's not available where I live   :(
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:41:46 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »